Mormon God-Adam Theory - Page 5 of 10

QUOTE BUT this also means that Jesus died - Page 5 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 6th Nov, 2006 - 5:57pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...Latest (10) »
  Mormon God-Adam Theory Also known as the Adam God Doctrine as promoted by Brigham Young - "As Man is... God once was... As God is... Man may become"
Post Date: 27th Jul, 2004 - 11:54pm / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory - Page 5

"Adam and Eve's . . . fall effected a change upon their bodies. While I
don't understand completely the chemistry of that change, somehow it
permitted blood to circulate in their veins. It provided for processes of
aging and death to come upon their tabernacles of flesh. And in a marvelous
manner, it allowed the blessing of procreation, so that myriads of awaiting
spirits could be born and thus obtain mortal bodies. The Fall was a
necessary part of Heavenly Father's plan for His children. Indeed, 'Adam
fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy.' (2 Ne.
2:25.) The so-called 'fall of Adam' might thus be termed the mortal
creation. It allowed mankind to attain and endure the mortal experience,
to enjoy posterity, and then to leave this period of probation through the
portal of death."

(Russell M. Nelson, "Standards of the Lord's Standard-Bearers," Ensign, Aug. 1991, 6)

Sponsored Links:
28th Jul, 2004 - 12:26am / Post ID: #

Theory God-Adam Mormon

In a deeper sense... and this is mostly ranting... The above is one thing that qualifies Christ as higher and perfect. Think about it, suppose Jehovah was the one in the garden... would he have eaten the apple? Adam, made the choice - a conscious choice by the way, to eat the apple and establish mankind and also thus 'allowing' Christ to enter immortality. both are needed for the plan - it is almost a case of 'which came first - the chicken or the egg?'.

8th Mar, 2006 - 7:25pm / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory Studies Doctrine Mormon

This subject has been quiet for some time, so I thought I would stir things up a bit.

I have recently finished reading a book written by a distant cousin, titled El: Who Is He?. It is an excellent piece of work, IMO. Unfortunately, it is not in print, and only he distributes it electronically.

However, within the book, he quotes from the trial of a Bishop from the Bunkerville, Nevada ward, who had been teaching that Orson Pratt was correct, that Adam is NOT El, that Adam could NOT be the Father of Jesus' physical body, etc. Basically a reiteration of the teachings that claim that the Adam-God Doctrine is false.

What is interesting in the minutes of the trial, and in the supporting documentation, is that this matter eventually went to the First Presidency. This happened in 1891. The First Presidency traveled to St. George to deal with the issue.

In the minutes of this meeting, President Woodruff chastised Bishop Bunker and his father for teaching false doctrine. President Woodruff clearly stated within the minutes of this meeting (which is substantiated in some personal journals of High Council members in attendance) that Adam IS the Father of our spirits, and IS the Father of Jesus' physical body. He supported ALL of Brigham Young's teachings concerning this doctrine.

Another point to ponder on this issue is this: In the Lecture at the Veil, prepared by Brigham Young and written by his secretary for the opening of the St. George Temple, it was very clearly taught that Adam is El, the Father of our spirits, the Father of Jesus' physical body, and God to all of us. President Joseph F. Smith, who always appeared to support Orson Pratt in his rebellion against this doctrine, had the Lecture at the Veil removed from the Temple.

Personally, I do now believe the Adam-God Doctrine. I don't have a testimony of it, but I do believe it. I have come to understand that there are certain offices of the Priesthood in Eternity, including El, Eloheim, Elohim, Yahweh, Michael, and Adam. An individual may hold different of these offices at different times.

My cousin's point is that Eloheim is the "council" spoken of in Abraham, that Elohim is the Father of Adam in HIS mortality, that El is Adam, and that the Yahweh or Jehovah mentioned in the Bible is the Saviour from Adam's mortality, or His Eldest Brother. He also points out that there is absolutely no mention prior to the late 1800s, early 1900s within any church documents or scriptures that Jesus is the same Jehovah mentioned in the Bible. This is a new doctrine adopted by the Church within the last 100 years or so.

Just some more food for thought.

Offtopic but,
Due to the fact that I have gone into more detail, and have spoken of temple things, I am moving this topic to the Mature LDS discussion area.

8th Mar, 2006 - 8:39pm / Post ID: #

Page 5 Theory God-Adam Mormon

Very interesting points Nighthawk. First of all, I would like to get a copy of that book through e-mail if possible?

In the minutes of this meeting, President Woodruff chastised Bishop Bunker and his father for teaching false doctrine. President Woodruff clearly stated within the minutes of this meeting (which is substantiated in some personal journals of High Council members in attendance)

Do you have any references to personal journals as a backup of this statement or is it just a rumor?

He also points out that there is absolutely no mention prior to the late 1800s, early 1900s within any church documents or scriptures that Jesus is the same Jehovah mentioned in the Bible. This is a new doctrine adopted by the Church within the last 100 years or so.

I thought about this many times. Even within the several "corrections" that the Book of Mormon went through it seems like the original version of Joseph Smith do not make a difference between the Father and the Son as if the Godhead (as we believe it) did not exist then several changes were made.

8th Mar, 2006 - 11:40pm / Post ID: #

Theory God-Adam Mormon

I will ask my cousin about sending it to you.

Do you have any references to personal journals as a backup of this statement or is it just a rumor?

The particular journal entries are used in the book. I am sending you another book, which I haven't read yet, that does talk about this same incident. I have it on good authority that this is just about the best book available on the subject.

As far as the Book of Mormon is concerned, we need to be aware that there are many, many times where Jesus is speaking for the full Godhead.

6th Nov, 2006 - 5:29pm / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory

I was reading the "Lecture at the veil" Diary of L. John Nuttall that Nighthawk sent me and I started understanding a little more about this doctrine. (I also realized that Gaucho posted the text on page#3 within this thread). Some interesting points on why Adam is our God and Father:

We have heard a great deal about Adam and Eve, how they were formed and so forth. 
Some think he was made like an adobe and the LORD breathed into him the breath of life, for we read, From dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return."
Well, he was made of the dust of the earth, but not of this earth. 
He was made just the same way you and I are made, but on another earth.
Adam was an immortal being when he came to this earth; 
He had lived on an earth similar to ours; he had received the priesthood and the keys thereof;
And had been faithful in all things, and gained his resurrection and his exaltation, and was crowned with glory, immortality, and Eternal Lives, and was numbered with the gods-for such he became through his faithfulness.
And had begotten all the spirits that were to come to this earth.
And Eve, our common mother, who is the mother of all living, bore those spirits in the Celestial world.

And when this earth was organized by Eloheim, Jehovah, and Michael, who is Adam our common father, Adam and Eve had the privilege to continue the work of progression.
Consequently, they came to this earth and commenced the great work of forming tabernacles for these spirits to dwell in;
And when Adam and those that assisted him had completed this kingdom, our earth, he came to it, and slept and forgot all, and became like an infant child.
It is said by Moses the historian that the LORD caused a deep sleep to come upon Adam and took from his side a rib, and formed the woman that Adam called Eve-
This should be interpreted that the man Adam, like all other men, had the seed within him to propagate his species, but not the woman. 
She conceives the seed, but she does not produce it; consequently she was taken from the side or bowels of her father.  This explains the mystery of Moses" dark sayings in regard to Adam and Eve.
Adam and Eve, when they were placed on this earth, were immortal beings with flesh, bones and sinews.
But upon partaking of the fruits of the earth while in the garden, and cultivating ground, their bodies became changed from immortal to mortal beings, with the blood coursing through their veins as the action of life-
Adam was not under transgression until after he partook of the forbidden fruit; this was necessary that they might be together, that man might be.  The woman was found in transgression, not the man-
Now in the law of Sacrifice, we have the promise of a Savior, and man had the privilege and showed forth his obedience by offering of the first fruits of the earth, and the firstlings of the flocks; this as a showing that Jesus would come and shed his blood.
(five blank lines in the manuscript)
Father Adam's oldest son (Jesus the Savior) who is the heir of the family, is father Adam's first begotten in the spirit world, who according to the flesh is the only begotten as it is written.
(In his divinity he having gone back into the spirit world, and came in the spirit to Mary and she conceived,
For when Adam and Eve got through with their work in this earth, they did not lay their bodies down in the dust, but returned to the spirit world from whence they came.

Here is saying that Adam "produced the seed" and Eve "conceived them" (our Spirits) in the Celestial world then if this is true, Adam is literally a God since he obtained Godhood and literally our Father and Eve our mother since they conceived us in the Celestial world.

Thoughts?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
6th Nov, 2006 - 5:43pm / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory - Page 5

Interesting. This would make Elohim (Adam's Father) really an overseer of it all with Michael (Adam) and Jesus (Jehovah) working side by side, BUT this also means that Jesus died for the sins of his own Father that was already exalted? This is all mind boggling.

6th Nov, 2006 - 5:57pm / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 5

BUT this also means that Jesus died for the sins of his own Father that was already exalted?

Correct. This would mean that Jesus was Adam's oldest son. Also, I wonder if all those who have reached exaltation (Godhood) become Adams and Eves in other worlds?

What exactly mean that For when Adam and Eve got through with their work in this earth, they did not lay their bodies down in the dust, but returned to the spirit world from whence they came.? Is it saying that Adam and Eve did not really die?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...Latest (10) »

> TOPIC: Mormon God-Adam Theory

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,