Mormon God-Adam Theory - Page 2 of 10

A year ago or so I did some reading on the - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 31st Mar, 2004 - 10:36pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (10) »
  Mormon God-Adam Theory Also known as the Adam God Doctrine as promoted by Brigham Young - "As Man is... God once was... As God is... Man may become"
15th Jul, 2003 - 10:11am / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory - Page 2

Here was an answer from the First Presidency on the topic:

international QUOTE

Your question concerning Adam has not been answered before because of
pressure of important business. We now respond briefly, but, we hope,
plainly. You speak of "the assertion made by Brigham Young that Jesus
was begotten of the Father in the flesh by our father Adam, and that
Adam is the father of Jesus Christ and not the Holy Ghost," and you say
that Elders are challenged by certain critics to prove this.

If you will carefully examine the sermon to which you refer, in the
Journal of Discourses, Vol. 1, you will discover that, while President
Young denied that Jesus was "begotten of the Holy Ghost," he did not
affirm, in so many words, that "Adam is the father of Jesus Christ in
the flesh." He said, "Jesus, our elder brother, was begotten in the
flesh by the same character that was in the garden of Eden and who is
our Father in Heaven. Who is our "Father in Heaven"? Here is what
President Young said about him; "Our Father in heaven begat all the
spirits that ever were or ever will be upon this earth and they were
born spirits in the eternal world. Then the Lord by his power and
wisdom organized the mortal tabernacle of man." Was He in the Garden of
Eden? Surely He gave commandments to Adam and Eve; He was their Father
in Heaven; they worshipped Him and taught their children after the fall
to worship and obey Him in the name of the Son who was to come.

But President Young went on to show that our father Adam,--that is, our
earthly father,--the progenitor of the race of man, stands at our head,
being "Michael the Archangel, the Ancient of Days," and that he was not
fashioned from earth like an adobe, but "begotten by his Father in
Heaven." Adam is called in the Bible "the son of God" (Luke 3:38). It
was our Father in Heaven who begat the spirit of him who was "the
Firstborn" of all the spirits that come to this earth, and who was, also
his Father by the Virgin Mary, making him "the only begotten in the
flesh." Read Luke 1:26-35. Where is Jesus called "the only begotten of
the Holy Ghost?" He is always singled out as "the only begotten of the
Father." (John 1:14;3:16,18, &c) The Holy Ghost came upon Mary, and her
conception was under that influence, even of the spirit of life; our
Father in Heaven was the Father of the Son of Mary, to whom the Savior
prayed, as did our earthly father Adam.

When President Young asked, "who is the Father?" he was speaking of Adam
as the father of our earthly bodies, who is at our head, as revealed in
Doctrine and Covenants, Section 107, verses 53-56. In that sense he is
one of the gods referred to in numerous scriptures, and particularly by
Christ (John 10:34-36). He is the great Patriarch, the Ancient of Days,
who will stand in his place as "a prince over us forever," and with whom
we shall "have to do," as each family will have to do with its head,
according to the holy patriarchal order. Our father, Adam, perfected and
glorified as a God, will be the being who will carry out the behests of
the great Elohim in relation to his posterity. (See Daniel 7:9-14.)

While, as Paul puts it, "there be gods many and Lords many (whether in
heaven or in earth), unto us there is but one God the Father, of whom are
all things, and one Lord Jesus Christ by whom are all things." The Church
of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints worships Him, and Him alone, who is
the Father of Jesus Christ, whom He worshipped, whom Adam worshipped, and
who is God the Eternal Father of us all.

Your brethren,
Joseph F. Smith, Anthon H. Lund, Charles W. Penrose
First Presidency

I also understand that Pres. Spencer W. Kimball wrote on the subject but have not found his letter yet.

Here is one reference:
Source 4

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 28th Jul, 2003 - 4:57pm / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory
A Friend

Theory God-Adam Mormon

i am not too sure about the god-adam theory.but it is rather interesting and i would have to research he matter.

Post Date: 28th Jul, 2003 - 5:12pm / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory
A Friend

Mormon God-Adam Theory Studies Doctrine Mormon

god in heaven is the father of our spirits,adam is the father of all that has been born mortal in the earth,jesus christ is father to all that is spiritually reborn.god our father in heaven is supreme god over all with adam and jesus as his elder children sharing part of his vision for the earth they helped in creating.

Post Date: 30th Jul, 2003 - 5:32am / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory
A Friend

Page 2 Theory God-Adam Mormon

LDS_Forever,
    just my two cents worth, added to what JB posted from Pres. Smith.  You posted from brigham Young...("When our father Adam came into the garden of Eden, he came into it with a celestial body, and brought Eve, one of his wives, with him. He helped to make and organize this world. He is MICHAEL, the Archangel, the ANCIENT OF DAYS! about whom holy men have written and spoken-HE is our FATHER and our GOD, and the only God with whom WE have to do"¦.When the Virgin Mary conceived the child Jesus, the Father had begotten him in his own likeness. He was not begotten by the Holy Ghost. And who is the Father? He is the first of the human family  ( If I may inject something here?  Who is the first of the human family?  While Adam is the father of our physical body, we actually had our beginning in the pre-existence as spirits.  Therefore the first of the human family is our heavenly father!)"¦. Jesus, our elder brother, was begotten in the flesh by the same character that was in the Garden of Eden, ( Now was Adam the only man in the garden of Eden?  If you will recall the Father and son were there long before Adam was placed there.  They created the garden of eden, So the "Same character that was in the garden of Eden, was the father.) and who is our Father in Heaven." (President Brigham Young. Journal of   (Discourses 1:50-51)   ( So the bottom line is, neither brigham Young, nor the Church, ever taught this "Adam god theory."  It is a product of the anti-Mormons, quoting Brigham Young, than using their own thinking to interpret those quotes.  They are the ones who coined the phrase "Adam God theory!"  Just some of my thoughts........

30th Jul, 2003 - 3:25pm / Post ID: #

Theory God-Adam Mormon

Thanks Hugh, I research a lot about the subject and yes you are right, I found plenty more quotes about Brigham Young who of course, separate Heavenly Father from Adam...(I wish I could have the Journal of Discourses CD!!! it's way too expensive to afford).
I don't know how the old times Prophet used to speak but I think the fact that President Young used so many times the word Father to describe Adam was a bit confusing in my opinion of course.

Post Date: 5th Aug, 2003 - 4:17pm / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory
A Friend

Mormon God-Adam Theory

[quote]Thanks Hugh, I research a lot about the subject and yes you are right, I found plenty more quotes about Brigham Young who of course, separate Heavenly Father from Adam...(I wish I could have the Journal of Discourses CD!!! it's way too expensive to afford).
I don't know how the old times Prophet used to speak but I think the fact that President Young used so many times the word Father to describe Adam was a bit confusing in my opinion of course.[/quote]

Deseret Book has a great program called GospeLink... the Journal is in that also... I got mine through the Book Club for 69.95 USD... I don't know how that would translate where you are... But it may be worth a look see... Just look up Deseret Book in a search engine...

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
6th Aug, 2003 - 3:28pm / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory - Page 2

international QUOTE
Deseret Book has a great program called GospeLink... The Journal is in that also... I got mine through the Book Club for 69.95 USD... I don't know how that would translate where you are... But it may be worth a look see... Just look up Deseret Book in a search engine...

Thanks! Yes, another member from the forum told me about it, I don't think I can afford it right now, it is way too expensive in TT dollars (Trinidad and Tobago dollars) but I'm planning somehow to save and get it through Deseret, I think is a great deal.

Post Date: 31st Mar, 2004 - 10:36pm / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory
A Friend

Mormon God-Adam Theory Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

A year ago or so I did some reading on the Adam God theory and found some quotes that seemed to indicate Brigham Young did in fact believe this, that Adam is our Heavenly Father and it was even taught in the temple for a time. I do not have the references anymore but Pres. Young taught that Adam is our Heavenly Father. Eloheim, who instructed Adam in the garden is a title, rather than a name and is Adam's father, or our spiritual grandfather. It was taught that this scenario has gone on for all eternity. Once you become a God and begat spiritual children and create a world for their mortal probation, you as a God or their father come to that Earth and are the father of their physical bodies as well. So Adam is in fact our Heavenly Father and Eve our Heavenly Mother. Pres. Young also said on one occasion that this doctrine was hard for the saints to believe and if they continued to lack the faith to understand this, the teaching would be taken from us. So, perhaps this is what happened, we failed to accept the doctrine and now have lost this for a time.

I'm not saying I believe this, the idea certainly has some holes in it, but I accept it may be true. Pres. Hinckley recently commented on this and stated that Brigham Young taught that if we were to see God we would see that he is Adam. Pres. Hinckley then said, I don't know what he meant by that. Notice he did not reject the idea, just that he didn't know.

There are too many references by Brigham Young to accept that he was misquoted or taken out of context. Many journals of early Saints noted that this doctrine was taught and Pres. Young stated he learned this from Joseph Smith.

Here follows Brigham Young's early "lecture at the veil," excerpted from Elder Nuttall's Journal:

In the creation the Gods entered into an agreement about forming this earth. & putting Michael or Adam upon it. these things of which I have been speaking are what are termed the mysteries of godliness but they will enable you to understand the expression of Jesus made while in Jerusalem. This is life eternal that they might know thee the only true God and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent. We were once acquainited [acquainted] with the Gods & lived with them but we had the privilige of taking upon us flesh that the spirit might have a house to dwell in. we did so and forgot all and came into the world not recollecting anything of which we had previously learned. We have heard a great deal about Adam and Eve. how they were formed &c some think he was made like an adobie and the Lord breathed into him the breath of life. for we read "from dust thou art and unto dust shalt thou return" Well he was made of the dust of the earth but not of this earth. he was made just the same way you and I are made but on another earth. Adam was an immortal being when he came. on this earth he had lived on an earth similar to ours he had received the Priesthood and the Keys thereof. and had been faithful in all things and gained his resurrection and his exaltation and was crowned with glory immortality and eternal lives and was numbered with the Gods for such he became through his faithfulness. and had begotten all the spirit that was to come to this earth. and Eve our common Mother who is the mother of all living bore those spirits in the celestial world. and when this earth was organized by Elohim. Jehovah & Michael who is Adam our common Father. Adam & Eve had the privilege to continue the work of Progression. consequently came to this earth and commenced the great work of forming tabernacles for those spirits to dwell in. and when Adam and those that assisted him had completed this Kingdom our earth he came to it. and slept and forgot all and became like an Infant child. it is said by Moses the historian that the Lord caused a deep sleep to come upon Adam and took from his side a rib and formed the woman that Adam called Eve-this should be interpreted that the Man Adam like all other Men had the seed within him to propagate his species. but not the Woman. she conceives the seed but she does not produce it. consequently she was taken from the side or bowels of her father. this explains the mystery of Moses's dark sayings in regard to Adam and Eve. Adam & Eve when they were placed on this earth were immortal beings with flesh. bones and sinews. but upon partaking of the fruits of the earth while in the garden and cultivating the ground their bodies became changed from immortal to mortal beings with the blood coursing through their veins as the action of life. Adam was not under transgression until after he partook of the forbidden fruit that was nesesary that they might be together that man might be. the woman was found in trans-gression not the Man- Now in the law of Sacrifice we have the promise of a Savior and man had the privilege and showed forth his obedience by offering of the first fruits of the earth and the firstlings of the flocks- this as a showing that Jesus would come and shed his blood
[Four lines without any writing on them.]
Father Adam's oldest son (Jesus the Saviour) who is the heir of the family is Father Adams first begotten in the spirit World. who according to the flesh is the only begotten as it is written. (In his divinity he having gone back into the spirit World. and come in the spirit [glory] to Mary and she conceived for when Adam and Eve got through with their Work in this earth. they did not lay their bodies down in the dust, but returned to the spirit World from whence they came.
I felt myself much blessed in being permitted to associate with such men and hear such instructions as they savored of life to me-

(Source: Journal of L. John Nuttall; BYU Special Collections; Pres. Brigham Young; delivered in St. George; Wed., Feb. 7, 1877. This was the first draft of the Lecture at the Veil. Brother L. John Nuttall was the private secretary to President Brigham Young until his (Brigham's) death in 1877. He then became the private secretary to President John Taylor (1879-1887) and again to President Wilford Woodruff (1887-1892):

This doctrine was believed by most Mormons at the time. However, Apostle Orson Pratt opposed it, and argued against it.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (10) »

> TOPIC: Mormon God-Adam Theory

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,