Harddrive Fan

Harddrive Fan - Computer Issues, Video Gaming - Posted: 12th Jan, 2007 - 6:09pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
hard drive fan
11th Jan, 2007 - 8:41pm / Post ID: #

Harddrive Fan

Harddrive Fan

First off this Thread is different than the one about Fan Direction. Today I was by my computer and had these massive headaches, and I could not figure out why, but now I know. I started to smell something terrible like wire / rubber burning and looked all around the house for the source, but could not pin point it. I shut down my computer and decided to open it and up and yes, it was my harddrive fan - it was burning and was beginning to mess up my harddrive too! Luckily I caught it in time and got it out of there. I could not pinpoint the smell because I have a couple of fans dispersing heat from my computer and it was throwing the smell into the room.

What I have noiticed is that the smaller the depth of the fan the more likely it is to burn out - you may need to watch that if you use harddrive fans! What I may do is get a normal case fan and hook it up to the frame where the harddrive fans use to be.

Something I have noticed too is that my computer is A LOT cooler since taking the fans out - they must have been cooking up heat more than getting rid of it. My computer averaged 48-49C and now it is a steady 46C! My headaches have also gone away.

Sponsored Links:
11th Jan, 2007 - 8:55pm / Post ID: #

Fan Harddrive

I know the feeling to this one JB, our fan did the same thing just before Christmas, and we had to get a friend out, who kindly fitted a new one for us (at cost only)
It's frightening when you can smell the burning though.. not nice at all, so can sympathize with you.
I will definitely be keeping an eye on ours in the future, our friend said that ours was probably due to the fact that we never turn our computer off, so in theory, our fan was always 'working overtime'.

11th Jan, 2007 - 9:00pm / Post ID: #

Harddrive Fan Gaming Video & Issues Computer

My computer is running most of the time as well because it provides net access for the network so it has to stay on whether I am using it or not, but I still find that the harddrive fan gave out too quickly. I must have bought that about five to six months ago max. I believe I will go with my other option to mount a normal case fan to the bottom of it though since the harddrive does need the extra cooling being that it is always on.

The other thing this made me think about was leaving the computer on when you are not home - it is fire hazard when you think about it.

11th Jan, 2007 - 9:06pm / Post ID: #

Fan Harddrive

WOW I never thought about this as an issue but makes sense. Yes JB the fan is a motor and does generate heat. my computer has the fan mounted with the motor out side the computer "shell" so the fan suck air out of the box and bows into room it is an older dell. I find a load of dust builds on it though and must be vacuumed regular.

Reconcile Edited: krakyn on 11th Jan, 2007 - 9:07pm

11th Jan, 2007 - 9:13pm / Post ID: #

Fan Harddrive

Keep in mind that I am talking about harddrive fans here and not case fans, they are two different things and work differently too. The harddrive fan fits directly on to your harddrive and uses smaller thiner fans. See the attached image of a harddrive fan.

Harddrive Fan
Harddrive Fan (Hover)

12th Jan, 2007 - 2:24pm / Post ID: #

Harddrive Fan

Sorry about my misunderstanding but have you considered the use of a cooling jacket it works on hard drives and I think CPU. A friend of mine who is more computer friendly than I put one on his CPU so he could speed the processor up.

NEC has one for hard drives below is the details I found.

https://www.nec.com.hk/english/prod_ser/ser...aterCooling.pdf

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
12th Jan, 2007 - 2:28pm / Post ID: #

Harddrive Fan

I have heard about that, but two things I am not going for:

1. Cost.
2. The idea of water based solution flowing in / near my computer does not appeal to me no matter how safe they say it is.

12th Jan, 2007 - 6:09pm / Post ID: #

Harddrive Fan Computer Issues & Video Gaming

If you remove the fan could a heat sink be added to pull heat from drive and provide greater heat exchange surface? Cheap low cost not sure how one would install but the existing mount hole might be usable.

Ensure good air flow around it which the fan you mentioned adding to the case would give.

I am just thinking of how industries get rid of extra heat from hot spots.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Harddrive Fan

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,