The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? - Page 16 of 33

QUOTE So, here I am, once again deeply considering - Page 16 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 4th Jul, 2009 - 2:25am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 33 pgs.  12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  ...Latest (33) »

Are Mormons meant to follow blindly? We may say no, but if you disagree what do you do? Pray UNTIL you believe? Should we believe that all that is written and said by the Modern Prophets is correct and infallible? If so, then why do we have to pray about it? Is it for us to believe what they say or really to find out if that is what we ought to be doing? Controversial Mormon Issue.
The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? Related Information to The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?
7th Aug, 2008 - 3:41am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? - Page 16

1. Personal revelation is just that - personal.

2. No, it does not have to be anything amazing or theatrical. It could be as simple as Joseph Smith saying if certain things happen in the last days then this is a sign of apostasy and then modern leaders saying those same signs are well.

Sponsored Links:
7th Aug, 2008 - 7:16pm / Post ID: #

Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

The only truly infallible person was Christ, but infallibility is not a requirement for being a Prophet. Prophets are just men, but they are men called to testify of Christ.
They will make mistakes, and the lord will let them make mistakes, but my opinion is that the Lord will not let them lead the Church in the wrong direction. I think that part of the equation is a matter of faith, and we will not go wrong in trying to follow the councils of Prophets.

20th Sep, 2008 - 12:36am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Dbackers, you saw that Thread I resurrected about the First Presidency on Trial, one has to think why Joseph Smith received revelation on that... not so?

Post Date: 11th Oct, 2008 - 9:00pm / Post ID: #

Page 16 Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

User Amonhi, stop Posting to this Thread or any other Thread within the LDS section until you have answered questions required by the Architect. Failure to do so can result in a revoke of your Mature LDS status. See your Rave Thread for more information.

14th Dec, 2008 - 9:51pm / Post ID: #

Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

Just a couple of quotes I came across from comments on a blog.

Members of the Mormon Church are among the freest and most independent people of all the Christian denominations. They are not all united on every principle. Every man is entitled to his own opinion and his own views and his own conceptions of right and wrong so long as they do not come in conflict with the standard principles of the church. If a man assumes to deny God and to become an infidel we withdraw fellowship from him. If a man commits adultery we withdraw fellowship from him. If men steal or lie or bear false witness against their neighbors or violate the cardinal principles of the Gospel, we withdraw our fellowship. The church withdraws its fellowship from that man and he ceases to be a member of the church. But so long as a man or a woman is honest and virtuous and believes in God and has a little faith in the church organization, so long we nurture and aid that person to continue faithfully as a member of the church, though he may not believe all that is revealed.
---Joseph F. Smith, at the Reed Smoot hearing before Congress.

One of the most important things in the world is freedom of the mind; from this all other freedoms spring. Such freedom is necessarily dangerous, for one cannot think right without running the risk of thinking wrong, but generally more thinking is the antidote for the evils that spring from wrong thinking.... We are not so much concerned with whether your thoughts are orthodox or heterodox as we are that you shall have thoughts. --- Hugh B Brown in an Address, May 13, 1969

"Those who talk of blind obedience . . . do not understand the doctrines of the gospel. There is an obedience that comes from a knowledge of the truth that transcends any external form of control. We are not obedient because we are blind, we are obedient because we can see." --- 1983, Boyd K. Packer. (Church News, 20 April 1991, p.14).

4th Jul, 2009 - 12:33am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?

Well, this is pretty much the subject that got me banned from a long-term discussion list.

The subject line was "blind obedience." I didn't reply to it for a couple of days, as I tried to decide whether or not to reply. Finally I did. I should not have done so.

Anyway. I pointed out that there is not only no scriptural support for the idea that we should follow the Prophet no matter what, but that the scriptures said that we must make sure that we don't rely on the "arm of flesh." Of course, most Latter-day Saints will say that since the Prophet is led directly by God, this doesn't apply to him.

After someone posted the normal quotes from Wilford Woodruff and various other leaders that came after Joseph F. Smith where they said that the Lord would not allow the church to go astray and that even if the Prophet did stray we would not be condemned for following him, I really got into the discussion.

I pointed out that every Prophet since Joseph F. Smith have subtly made the claim that Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, John Taylor, Wilford Woodruff, Lorenzo Snow, Joseph F. Smith, and many other leaders were teaching untrue (as opposed to false) doctrine. Specifically, that all of these men, most of whom were taught directly by Joseph Smith, taught that a monogamous "Temple" marriage was no more effective in exalting a man than if it was performed by the local justice-of-the-peace. They all taught that ONLY through plural marriage did a man obey the Celestial Law. However, beginning with Heber J. Grant, this doctrine was modified to say that it was only the Temple Sealing that was important, and that a monogamous marriage was actually superior to a polygamous one.

I also pointed out that these same men all taught and supported the "Adam-God" doctrine, which President Kimball called a "false doctrine", and which Elder McConkie labeled as one of the 7 great heresies.

I did make the statement that the current and recent leaders had watered down many of the doctrines and/or denied many of them.

Once again, this person jumped on me, since there is no way that any of the doctrines are watered down, and any doctrines that are denied are unimportant.

Anyway, since I stated that current and recent Prophets and Apostles are not perfect, I was accused of picking and choosing what I wanted to hear from President Monson.

Now, this is a subject that I have not talked to my wife a lot about, in detail. Yesterday, we drove to Salt Lake to visit my mother for a little bit. It is about a 40 minute drive, and we talked in great detail about this most of the way there and back. She agreed with me for the most part, since she is still very disturbed by the changes in the Endowment from 1990.

So, here I am, once again deeply considering my own beliefs in relation to the history of our doctrine.

Oh yes, Farseer's quotes are very interesting. I see a vast difference between what President Smith said and what Elder Packer said. Elder Packer's words still imply full and unquestioned obedience to the Prophet, where President Smith's words expressly allow for difference not only of opinion, but of belief and action.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
4th Jul, 2009 - 12:49am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet So That Enough - Page 16

I am not surprised, really. I find LDS members online in general to be extremely judgmental and intolerant but again we have them in our wards every Sunday, no?

This leader in Church last Sunday jumped on a brother because of a comment he made and said he should no question anything that the Prophet say, we must just follow whatever he says,

Well, that got the best or worst of me and I said that's not scriptural and that we do not believe in the infallibility of Prophets. Of course, the word infallibility throw everyone down (sorry but most people here are not very educated) therefore nobody said anything, they also know I have been a member of the Church for a very long time but what would happen if I wasn't there? It is scary to see how FAST are people willing to follow without even saying they will ask for confirmation!

4th Jul, 2009 - 2:25am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet So That Enough Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 16

So, here I am, once again deeply considering my own beliefs in relation to the history of our doctrine.

The quandary in my opinion boils down:

1. The direction the Church is heading
2. Is the Church focusing more on policy or purity
3. Is the Church in good favor with the Lord, us he still "Well pleased"?
4. Why does the Church feel it needs absolute unquestionable acceptance from the membership?
5. Why are statements made by the Prophet at times that are clearly not true?
6. Are we just all apostates blinded by own foolish limited perspective.

Rather off topic, but...
Nighthawk: There are several pages of new Threads here that you have not seen, you may wish to check them out and the interesting 'discoveries' made since your last participation in this section.

> TOPIC: The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,