The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? - Page 20 of 33

Well, I personally have a big problem with - Page 20 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 8th Sep, 2009 - 12:45am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 33 pgs.  16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  ...Latest (33) »

Are Mormons meant to follow blindly? We may say no, but if you disagree what do you do? Pray UNTIL you believe? Should we believe that all that is written and said by the Modern Prophets is correct and infallible? If so, then why do we have to pray about it? Is it for us to believe what they say or really to find out if that is what we ought to be doing? Controversial Mormon Issue.
The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? Related Information to The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?
19th Aug, 2009 - 9:46am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? - Page 20

We should not forget, The Scriptures were written by the "living Prophets" of their day. Why are these words that have been codified and written down any more valid then words written down today.

Why are prophets of the Old and New Testament, Book of Mormon, and The Doctrine and Covenants more valid then the Prophets of the Post Joseph Smith era and the current Prophet?

I think we are both Fortunate and Unfortunate that every word, syllable, and sentence spoken by modern day Apostles and Prophets since the days of Joseph Smith have been written down and treated as Pure Doctrine. Could the Apostles and prophets of Jesus' Day (considering their ignorance of Jesus' mission) withstood the constant examination of every opinion, word, and utterance that they spoke, without finding some inconsistencies in these statements? Heck, we can find apparent inconsistencies in Paul's writings concerning faith and works. I am sure that if they were examined as closely as Joseph Smith or Brigham Young's words are (many of which have been transcribed or attributed to him by a third party), they would would have been misinterpreted or even expressed an opinion that was not entirely correct.

How much of what we believe, is based on an opinion of an apostle or Prophet who was discussing a personal opinion that may or may not have been correct. I believe every man of God holds beliefs that are incorrect, strictly due to the fact that they are influenced by society, as well as well as our irritatingly limited ability to process the pure information given to us by God? Every man has these limitations (even Joseph Smith), even men who are called of God to witness for his name.

Sponsored Links:
19th Aug, 2009 - 1:43pm / Post ID: #

Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

In my post on August 16, I gave a very few quotes about this specific subject, about how if we insist on "following" a Prophet, we can be led to hell.

If a Prophet is speaking for the Lord, then we should pay particular attention. The problem is that you will be very hard pressed to find an instance in over 100 years where a President of the Church has stated that he is speaking for the Lord. If anyone asks for an example of a specific revelation from President Monson, they will be flippantly answered that President Monson received revelation "last Thursday" (referring to the First Presidency meetings on Thursday afternoons).

Even more flippantly, we are told that we can comfortably read the Prophet's General Conference addresses and "know" that they are as good as scripture.

However, if we look back to our written scriptures, we will see that these "dead" Prophets recorded their experiences, visions, and revelations. They chose what was special, what had to do directly with God and His revelations. Those are the scriptures.

Now, we take every statement of opinion, every personal story, every trivial experience of the Prophet and treat it like scripture. We use an impossible standard of "he will never lead us astray." Then we think that we can follow him, a human, into the Celestial Kingdom.

We have a very pure source of doctrine in Joseph Smith. He wasn't perfect. He made mistakes. Some of the things he believed and taught in the early days are contradicted by some of the things he believed and taught in the latter days of his life. He learned line upon line, precept upon precept.

After Joseph Smith came some men who learned directly from him. They attended the School of Prophets. They shared experiences such as having God the Father and Jesus Christ walk among them. They learned from Joseph Smith what the New and Everlasting Covenant of Marriage was all about. Some of them saw Father Adam and Mother Eve. They had angelic ministers.

After Joseph's death, Brigham Young led the church. He stated that one of his great fears was that the people would follow him, trust in the arm of flesh, and fail to live up to their potentials. He taught in the name of the Lord. He was supported by other men who had learned directly from Joseph Smith. He had Heber C. Kimball at his right hand. This was a man who proved to have the spirit of prophecy, among many other strong spiritual gifts.

Following him, John Taylor, Wilford Woodruff, and Lorenzo Snow continued to lead the Church. All of these men had also learned directly from the Prophet. All of them also taught, speaking for the Lord.

Joseph F. Smith was the first who had not received extensive training from the Prophet Joseph. However, he had listened and participated fully with those who had received such training. He spoke for the Lord, although it apparently was rather seldom.

Then came Heber J. Grant. He had been opposed to plural marriage at times, and had reluctantly took a second wife. Apparently he once publicly stated that the "heavens are as brass to me." (I do not have a source for this, but have read it second hand several times.) He, and subsequent Prophets rarely, if ever, stated that they were speaking for the Lord on particular subjects. None of them received training directly from Joseph Smith.

Anyway, the gist of this is that I still cannot find anyplace in scripture, either modern or ancient, that even suggests that we should "follow the Prophet" without serious prayer and personal revelation. Again, if the Prophet says that he is specifically speaking for the Lord, then we should pay particularly close attention. If he is relaying a vision or specific revelation, then we should pay particularly close attention. Yet we should still get confirmation for ourselves. To do otherwise is to rely on the arm of flesh.

26th Aug, 2009 - 7:05pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I can find nothing in your last post Nighthawk that I can disagree with. I do believe, like you, that if we rely on the spirit to guide us we are less likely to be deceived (though I do not rule out, due to our own weaknesses, misinterpreting the promptings that we receive from God.)

I think it is important to find balance. We need to reflect on the Scriptures (words of Prophets who were once living oracles,) and contemplate what the living oracles of God are trying to tell us concerning the moving of the work today, and we should seriously consider council from those who has stewardship over us (parents, Bishops, leaders). These are all imperfect tools provided to us, to prepare us to receive unfiltered council from God thought the instrument of the Holy Spirit.

I do not believe however that the Spirit can or will work in a vacuum. Without correct information (even if it is limited), written down, or taught to us by parents or other duly appointed stewards, there seems little opportunity for our minds to be prepared for the spirit to teach us. Without being taught by others initially, we would be as the people who lived during the worst times of the Great apostasy, or as the nephites in their worst times of depravity.

The lord provides Prophets and Scriptures (though limited by language and cultural influences) as a preparatory tool to help us to commune directly with God. I believe, and it seems history has proven this right, that without these tools, God's Spirit cannot dwell with men for any extended length of time.

We have the unique privilege of being in the sunlight today, with much knowledge of the Lord at our fingertips and with full access to the Holy Spirit. I do not believe that sunlight would be as bright or even could shine in our own lives, without access to the council and direction of Scriptures and access to "those who are in authority" who "preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof"
"namely apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth."

29th Aug, 2009 - 3:31pm / Post ID: #

Page 20 Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

I ran across some quotes today.

Millenial Star, Vol 14, Number 38, pages 593-595
"We have heard men who hold the priesthood remark that they would do anything they were told to do by those who preside over them [even] if they knew it was wrong; but such obedience as this is worse than folly to us; it is slavery in the extreme; and the man who would thus willingly degrade himself, should not claim a rank among intelligent beings, until he turns from his folly. A man of God would despise the idea. Others, in the extreme exercise of their almighty authority have taught that such obedience was necessary, and that no matter what the saints were to do by their presidents they should do it without any questions. When Elders of Israel will so far indulge in these extreme notions of obedience as to teach them to the people, it is generally because they have it in their hearts to do wrong themselves".

Journal of Discourses, Vol.4, p.38, Brigham Young, August 31, 1856
When "Mormonism" finds favor with the wicked in this land, it will have gone into the shade; but until the power of the Priesthood is gone, "Mormonism" will never become popular with the wicked. "Mormonism" is not one farthing better than it was in the days of Joseph.

Journal of Discourses, Vol.6, p.100, Brigham Young, November 29, 1857
The First Presidency have of right a great influence over this people; and if we should get out of the way and lead this people to destruction, what a pity it would be! How can you know whether we lead you correctly or not? Can you know by any other power than that of the Holy Ghost? If have uniformly exhorted the people to obtain this living witness each for themselves; then no man on earth can lead them astray.

So, here we have a Prophet giving us specific instruction concerning how closely we follow the Prophet. We later have Prophets telling us, in effect, to completely ignore what the previous Prophet taught. I wonder which one is more reliable. Could it be the one who tells us to rely on God alone? Or is it the one who tells us that we can trust him in all things?

30th Aug, 2009 - 11:54pm / Post ID: #

Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

I was checking a link someone provided in another thread from an Institute Manual and I found the following "affirmations" concerning Prophets. You can open each link for the explanation, I am just adding the titles that happen to be affirmations. Please share your thoughts.

1. They Are Wise Who Put Their Trust in God and His Prophet.

2. The Lord Will Never Permit the Living Prophet to Lead the Church Astray.

3. The Standard Works and Living Prophets Must Be Accepted or Rejected Together.

4. What the First Presidency Says Is Scripture.

5. Latter-day Saints Are to Look to the First Presidency for Their Instructions.

6. Those Who Follow the First Presidency Will Never Go Astray.

7. To Sustain a Prophet Is to Follow That Prophet.

8. Truly Converted Latter-day Saints Sustain the Prophets.

9. Sustaining a Prophet Includes Sustaining Other Church Leaders.

10. Those Who Oppose or Reject the Counsel of Prophets Lose the Spirit of the Lord.

11. Individuals Who Persist in Condemning Church Leaders Will Apostatize.

12.  Those Who Follow the Prophets Are in the Path of Safety.

13. The Gates of Hell Will Not Prevail against Church Members Who Follow the Word of the Living Prophet.

14. Those Who Follow the Prophets Will Obtain Eternal Life.

7th Sep, 2009 - 11:53pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?

I have various thoughts about the list below but let's discuss number 9:

9. Sustaining a Prophet Includes Sustaining Other Church Leaders.

The explanation from the same link reads:

Some Latter-day Saints mistakenly think they can sustain the prophet while refusing to sustain a local ecclesiastical leader. Elder Boyd K. Packer stated unequivocally that an individual who does not sustain his local leaders will not sustain the President of the Church.

"You can put it down in your little black book that if you will not be loyal in the small things you will not be loyal in the large things. If you will not respond to the so-called insignificant or menial tasks which need to be performed in the Church and kingdom, there will be no opportunity for service in the so-called greater challenges.

"A man who says he will sustain the President of the Church or the General Authorities, but cannot sustain his own bishop is deceiving himself. The man who will not sustain the bishop of his ward and the president of his stake will not sustain the President of the Church." ( Follow the Brethren, Brigham Young University Speeches of the Year, pp. 4-5.)

"What is meant by sustaining a person? Do we understand it? It is a very simple thing to me; I do not know how it is with you. For instance, if a man be a teacher, and I vote that I will sustain him in his position, when he visits me in an official capacity I will welcome him and treat him with consideration, kindness and respect and if I need counsel will ask it at his hand, and I will do everything I can to sustain him. That would be proper and a principle of righteousness, and I would not say anything derogatory to his character. If that is not correct I have it yet to learn. And then if anybody in my presence were to whisper something about him disparaging to his reputation, I would say, Look here! are you a Saint? Yes. Did you not hold up your hand to sustain him? Yes. Then why do you not do it? Now, I would call an action of that kind sustaining him. If any man make an attack upon his reputation-for all men's reputations are of importance to them-I would defend him in some such way. When we vote for men in the solemn way in which we do, shall we abide by our covenants? or shall we violate them? If we violate them we become covenant-breakers. We break our faith before God and our brethren, in regard to the acts of men whom we have covenanted to sustain. But supposing he should do something wrong, supposing he should be found lying or cheating, or defrauding somebody; or stealing or anything else, or even become impure in his habits, would you still sustain him? It would be my duty then to talk with him as I would with anybody else, and tell him that I had understood that things were thus and so, and that under these circumstances I could not sustain him; and if I found that I had been misinformed I would withdraw the charge; but if not it would then be my duty to see that justice was administered to him, that he was brought before the proper tribunal to answer for the things he had done; and in the absence of that I would have no business to talk about him." (John Taylor, in Journal of Discourses, 21:207-8.)

In essence we as Church members sustain a prophet in the fullest sense only when we sustain all ecclesiastical authorities, both general and local, and refrain from speaking disparagingly of any authority we have covenanted to sustain.

1. What are your thoughts about the connection between sustaining the Prophet and sustaining your local leaders? And if you do not sustain your local leaders then you cannot sustain the Prophet.

2. What about if you was absent the day that a particular leader was called and you did not sustain him? What about if you was present but decided not to raise your hand?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Sep, 2009 - 12:38am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet So That Enough - Page 20

Those are excellent questions.

Since I have been in the situation where our bishop actually damaged our family, I cannot see how I could, in good conscience, sustain him. By not sustaining someone who has personally hurt my family, did that mean that I didn't sustain the Prophet? At the time, I did fully sustain the Prophet.

I disagree with President Packer on this subject. I see it simply as another way of saying that we must subject ourselves to Church leadership in all things. And I find that whole concept to be in opposition to the scriptures and the early teachings of the Church. Actually, I find that concept to fit in neatly with the worldly power structures that seek unrighteous dominion over the children of God.

8th Sep, 2009 - 12:45am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet So That Enough Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 20

Well, I personally have a big problem with Pres. Hinckley statement that local leaders cannot lead you astray (should I make a list of cases?) but the quotes I posted come from the Institute Manual and I just do not agree with several of them.

I have problems with several of those affirmations, yes those are affirmations such as those who oppose or reject the counsel of the Prophet lose the Spirit of the Lord, that Sustain a Prophet Is to Follow That Prophet and The Standard Works and Living Prophets Must Be Accepted or Rejected Together.

Something is not right here. If those affirmations are the official Church position then according to the Church I am going towards the road of apostasy when I think we should not make such affirmations and generalizations like that.

> TOPIC: The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,