The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? - Page 6 of 33

I found a very interesting scripture, I don't - Page 6 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 18th Nov, 2003 - 10:40pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 33 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...Latest (33) »

Are Mormons meant to follow blindly? We may say no, but if you disagree what do you do? Pray UNTIL you believe? Should we believe that all that is written and said by the Modern Prophets is correct and infallible? If so, then why do we have to pray about it? Is it for us to believe what they say or really to find out if that is what we ought to be doing? Controversial Mormon Issue.
The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? Related Information to The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?
26th Sep, 2003 - 1:19pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? - Page 6

[quote]As for your last paragraph, not sure if I understand it, but I am sure if you said that in Church you would be called in for an interview. (Thank goodness for forums like these eh?)[/quote]

Basically I was trying to say that we are in a telestial Church, trying to uplift telestial people.  As such, it is a learning institution.  From my understanding, the only way into the Celestial Kingdom is to seek and receive our own revelations, especially about the doctrines, practices, and policies of the Church.

I am not saying that we should seek to lead the church, or to "steady the ark" but that we absolutely must be seeking guidance (not just inspiration, but revelation) on our own behalf, otherwise we aren't being "valiant in the Testimony of Jesus" which includes being a prophet.  If we are content to "follow the Prophet" without seeking continually to become one, then we are not being valiant.

It seems that we are going round and round.  I have seen several places in this thread where people have said that it is our responsibility to follow the Prophet without seeking that confirmation.  Just because the Prophet says something in General Conference doesn't mean (IMO) that it is scripture.  Not without the necessary statement that it is, and especially not without the confirmation of the Spirit.

I will give one more example from one of the scenarios that I have in my mind for the Last Days.

Suppose that Yellowstone blows up (it is close right now), and most of the midwestern US is devastated by the ashfall.  FEMA comes to the Prophet and says that they require that all members give up their food storage to the government to help out those stricken in the midwest.  The Prophet gives this direction to the members.  Do we give up our food without confirmation from the Lord?  There are good, logical, gospel-based arguments both for giving up the food and for not.

NightHawk

Sponsored Links:
26th Sep, 2003 - 1:33pm / Post ID: #

Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

[quote]

Suppose that Yellowstone blows up (it is close right now), and most of the midwestern US is devastated by the ashfall.  FEMA comes to the Prophet and says that they require that all members give up their food storage to the government to help out those stricken in the midwest.  The Prophet gives this direction to the members.  Do we give up our food without confirmation from the Lord?  There are good, logical, gospel-based arguments both for giving up the food and for not.

[/quote]

In the scenario you list above, I would give it up.  If the prophet says to do something and he is directing this to the Church as a body then I consider it a command.  If he just were to say in a Larry King interview or something that it would be good idea for us to give up our food storage to share it with others in the scenario above then I would think of that as something less than a command and would make my own decision.

I do not believe we can ever go wrong by following the prophet when he directs us to do something.  I also believe that if he does direct us to do something with which we might be uncomfortable, then we should pray for confirmation.  Not because we might be told "no" but because we can then know for ourselves that it is what the Lord wants us to do.  I believe it would be what the Lord wants us to do because the prophet is exactly that -  the Prophet.

Post Date: 8th Oct, 2003 - 2:04am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?
A Friend

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I consider myself: I'm Active
Years a Member: Born under the Covenant

I'm new to this site (but not new to the church)....

I thought I'd try my hand at experimenting with discussion threads....here it goes....

I think there's some very good conversation going on here....Some of you have alluded to Ezra Taft Benson's "14 Fundamentals for Following the Prophet"....For anyone who is interested, here's a website where the complete address can be found....I would recommend it as worthwhile reading for anyone who is interested, especially in relation to this particular topic....

https://www.xmission.com/~country/authority...ty/14_fund1.htm

OK, how did I do? =)

8th Oct, 2003 - 2:32am / Post ID: #

Page 6 Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

[quote]OK, how did I do?[/quote]

You did just fine smile.gif

Thank you for the link.  I will be reading it soon.

NightHawk

Post Date: 8th Oct, 2003 - 10:03am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

THX Nighthawk! This discussion forum can be addictive! =) I started going thru the threads and found many intriguing ones...Just couldn't help myself, and had to respond....Well, better call it quits while I'm ahead =)

Post Date: 8th Oct, 2003 - 7:54pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

the holy ghost shall tell you the truth of all things and if you are worthy and have the companion ship of the holy ghost when the prophet speaks you shall know what hes is saying is true is it enough yes .he is gods representative on earth .he gets direct revelation.he does not take a wind poll of public opinion to make a decision.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Oct, 2003 - 8:30pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet So That Enough - Page 6

Oh, absolutely, on all counts.

My only assertion has been, that we MUST have that companionship.

Now, I have been thinking a lot more about this subject today.  I am a sinner, am proud and rebellious.  Because of choices I have made throughout my life, I am subject to some addictions that interfere with my spirituality.  Despite this, the Lord has seen fit to call me to the office of a High Priest.  He has also blessed me with incredible blessing, including a wonderful family.

Recently, He has seen fit to move within my life.  I have felt guided in several instances to learn specific things and talk to specific people.

All of this leads up to the fact that I don't have much experience seeking out and recieiving specific answers to specific questions in prayer.  A couple of years ago, I prayed to Him, sincerely offering up everything I have, everything I am, whatever He would ask of me.  Since then, I have had a wild ride learning of depths within the teachings of the Gospel that I never dreamed of.

However, I have only once asked about President Hinckley.  I did not get an answer.  I now realize that this is one of the most important questions I must ask.

If the Lord anwers me that I am to follow President Hinckley without question, I am glad to do so.  If He answers me something else, I will do as He tells me.

At the moment, I have to stand by my previous assertions that it is vital that we get confirmation from the Lord.  If we have the Gift of the Holy Ghost, then, yes, I think this confirmation will be almost automatic.  But without it, I don't believe that we are bound.  Without it, we are subject to being led astray.

NightHawk

18th Nov, 2003 - 10:40pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet So That Enough Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 6

I found a very interesting scripture, I don't know if anybody added it here, let me know your thoughts about it:

"It makes no difference what is written or what anyone has said, if what has been said is in conflict with what the Lord has revealed, we can set it aside. My words, and the teachings of any other member of the Church, high or low, if they don't square with the revelations, we need not accept them. Let us have this matter clear. We have accepted the four standard works as the measuring yardsticks, or balances, by which we measure every man's doctrine.
"You cannot accept the books written by the authorities of the Church as the standards of doctrine, only in so far as they accord with the revealed word in the standard works
"Every man who writes is responsible, not the Church, for what he writes. If Joseph Fielding Smith writes something which is out of harmony with the revelations, then every member of the Church is duty bound to reject it. If he writes that which is in perfect harmony with the revealed word of the Lord, then it should be accepted." (Doctrines of Salvation, vol. 3, pp. 203-204)

What are your thoughts about the above quote in reference to this thread?

> TOPIC: The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,