The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? - Page 11 of 33

Personally, I think those two quotes indeed - Page 11 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 13th Nov, 2007 - 10:23pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 33 pgs.  7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ...Latest (33) »

Are Mormons meant to follow blindly? We may say no, but if you disagree what do you do? Pray UNTIL you believe? Should we believe that all that is written and said by the Modern Prophets is correct and infallible? If so, then why do we have to pray about it? Is it for us to believe what they say or really to find out if that is what we ought to be doing? Controversial Mormon Issue.
The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? Related Information to The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?
13th Sep, 2005 - 10:37pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? - Page 11

Sometimes the Prophets and leaders of the Church speak to the members about different issues than contradict the scriptures in one point or another. Now, to whom we should follow....the living Prophet or the Scriptures? what do you think?

The prophets always point us to the scriptures. There may be inconsistencies as we see them, but truth is truth, whether by the mouth of the Lord or his servants, it is the same.

In answer to the name of this topic, is it enough if the prophet said so? No. Even the Lord did not require the Nephites to take his preaching as "enough." He told them to go to their homes and ask for enlightenment and understanding from the Father. That is the absolute requirement for each of us. If we see what seems to be a conflict between the scriptures and the living prophets, we are obligated to pray and discern the truth of the message. Many verses taken out of context lose their intended meaning, and the anti-Mormons use this to their greatest advantage. If we want to be pro-Christ, we must patiently study and seek the truth with open hearts, and not immediately become contentious when we think that the teachings of the prophets and the teachings of the scriptures are logically contradictory. Contention is of the devil, even if we try to justify it under the smokescreen of 'just trying to find the truth.' Again, this is what the antis do. Patience and willingness to accept spiritual answers are key, as is willingness to accept a period of silence, when we may not know the answers. That is faith.

Sponsored Links:
15th Sep, 2005 - 4:47pm / Post ID: #

Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

This is my current feelings on this topic:

The Lord has given us the blessing to actually have a mouth piece that speaks on His behalf. Will I reject that mouth piece? No, I will hear, and hear fervently. I remember listening to the Prophet live when he came to my country and tears flowed from my eyes. I received a witness of the truth he was speaking of whom he is, the Prophet. Will I go home and have blind faith? No, I will listen, ask the Lord to help my unbelief and follow the Prophets.

8th Apr, 2006 - 1:11pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? Studies Doctrine Mormon

It concerns me that some members would actually think we should not pray about a certain topic the Prophet have spoken (I used to think this way) but I was wrong. I think is extremely important as members of the Church to receive personal revelation with regards to what the Prophet is speaking. I am not sure where we got this of "just follow blindly" but I think it could be quiet dangerous for our spirituality. I just found in lds.org the following quote that confirms my point:

"Every time that I have listened to the counsel of prophets, felt it confirmed in prayer, and then followed it, I have found that I moved toward safety. "
(Elder Henry B. Eyring, Ensign, May 1997, 25)

23rd Nov, 2006 - 5:26pm / Post ID: #

Page 11 Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

This is not meant to "beat a dead horse". These are just a couple of quotes that someone posted on a mailing list I read.

QUOTE (Brigham Young)
"There is nothing that would so soon weaken my hope and discourage me as to see this people in full fellowship with the world, and receive no more persecution from them because they are one with them. In such an event, we might bid farewell to the Holy Priesthood with all its blessings, privileges, and aids to exaltations, principalities, and powers in the eternities of the Gods". (Brigham Young, April 8, 1862, JD 10:32)

QUOTE (Heber J. Grant)
"My greatest happiness, I find in the good will and friendship that has developed among all classes of people at home and abroad toward the Latter-day Saint Church during my lifetime; in place of everyday persecutions and bitterness we now enjoy the high regard and happy association with all denominations. " (Heber J. Grant, Nov. 22, 1938, Salt Lake Tribune)

Here are two completely opposing views, coming from two Prophets. I think there is quite a lot to think about here.

I tend to agree much more with Brigham Young than Heber J. Grant on this issue. Big surprise.

Post Date: 1st Apr, 2007 - 12:27am / Post ID: #

Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

"How do we know [the] truths [of the gospel]? How can you confirm their validity? You see around you great confusion regarding the nature of God, His teachings, and the purpose of life. How then does God, our Heavenly Father, guide His children on earth? How does He communicate truth and His will so that faithful, believing children can make the right choices and receive the blessings Heavenly Father wants them to have? I will explain.

"From the foundation of this earth, God our Father has consistently followed His plan. . . . Adam labored to share our Father's plan with his children and descendants. Many believed and were blessed. . . .

"Prophets such as Enoch, Noah, Abraham, and Moses renewed the truth for their dispensation. . . . In the meridian of time Jesus Christ, the Beloved Son of God, was born on earth. He restored the truth and ministered with love and compassion. He established His Church again on earth with apostles and prophets. . . .

"On repeated occasions Jesus Christ has personally appeared to select individuals. Yet there is only one supernal, singular instance of which we have knowledge that God the Father Himself appeared in person. This was done with His precious Holy Son, Jesus Christ, to an audience of one. That one was young Joseph Smith Jr., an extraordinary spirit prepared before the foundation of the earth. He would become the greatest prophet sent to earth. . . .

"Our benevolent Father came from His vast creations to this earth to clarify truth, to disperse the intense clouds of spiritual darkness, to establish His true identity, to restore a fulness of truth, and to provide the only way to obtain secure, spiritual guidance. This momentous Restoration began with the Father's simple phrase 'This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!' There followed a Restoration of truth, priesthood, sacred ordinances, and the true Church, with the Father's plan of salvation and happiness."

-- Richard G. Scott, "Truth Restored," Ensign, Nov. 2005, 79-80)

Post Date: 11th Jul, 2007 - 11:54pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?

"On the day the Church was organized, Joseph Smith received a revelation that included an important principle for all Church members. Speaking to the Church about Joseph Smith the Lord said, 'thou shalt give heed unto all his words and commandments which he shall give unto you . . for his word ye shall receive, as if from mine own mouth' (D&C 21:4-5).

"Now listen to the blessings promised to those who heed: 'For by doing these things the gates of hell shall not prevail against you; yea, and the Lord God will disperse the powers of darkness from before you, and cause the heavens to shake for your good'

(D&C 21:6).

"Those are powerful promises that can keep us safe in these treacherous times. We need them, and the Lord will give them to each of us if we are willing to follow the prophets, seers, and revelators."
(Paul V. Johnson, "The Blessings of General Conference," Ensign, Nov. 2005, 52)

"Give heed to the words of the prophets and apostles. To give heed is to pay special attention. It is to listen to those who have been called by God to be the especial living witnesses of Jesus Christ for our time. It implies that they are recognized in this role, that a response is given to their invitation to receive a personal spiritual confirmation that their teachings are true, and that a commitment to follow them will be made."
Ref. (Charles Didier, "Man's Search for Divine Truth," Ensign, Nov. 2005, 48)

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
13th Nov, 2007 - 10:05pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet So That Enough - Page 11

There is no contradiction in the quotes by Elder Young and Elder Grant. We sometimes fall in the trap of general Christianity who listens to Paul and thinks all we need is Grace, and then quoting James and thinks it is all done by works. Different Apostles and Prophets may be emphasizing something to one audience and something else to a different audience. If the Church emphasizes independence and trying to work out our own Salvation, that does not mean we should forget the necessity of our Savior in returning to our Heavenly Father.

Notice President Young said we must not have full fellowship with the world. We have been advised and still are being advised that we should not partake of the World, but by necessity we must live in it. Pres. Grant was saying we should love the people of the world, not implying that we should partake of their sins.

Brigham Young also said

A good man, is a good man, whether in this church, or out of it.

We should not embrace the world but we should embrace the goodwill of good people outside of our Church and love all men regardless of religious affiliation. President Young's words and President Grant's Words are in fact complimentary to one another, but teaching two different concepts.

Now to the Main Question.

The Prophet said so, is that enough?

I look at a quote by Nighthawk at the beginning of this thread.

Ideally, when the prophet reveals anything new, we will already know it, and his revelation of such ideas will consist of permission for us to discuss it with others.

I am not sure that I believe this doctrine. The Lord will often withhold knowledge from even the most righteous of individuals, if that knowledge is not part of their stewardship. Things pertaining to the Church as a whole do not and should not be revealed to us before the Prophet receives this information. Things that pertain to the Stake will not necessarily be revealed first to a righteous member of the stake and then the Stake Presidency. This is not the order of the Church. I am sure the Lord will and can reveal doctrine to his people, but it seems scriptural that He first reveals all things necessary to salvation to his prophet and then reveals the truthfulness of these things after they have been revealed.

I think as we draw nearer to the Second Coming and the Promised signs it will be more important, not less important, to listen to the counsel of men who are called of God regardless of the fact that they are flawed, and sometime err. God typically works through the weak and the battered who are lifted up by his spirit, to bring to pass his purposes. And we will definitely need men with the Keys of the Gathering of Israel, the Building of the Temples in Jerusalem and The New Jerusalem, and Perfecting of the Saints. Without Prophets, we are limited in what we can know and do in preparing the World for the coming of our Savior.

13th Nov, 2007 - 10:23pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet So That Enough Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 11

Personally, I think those two quotes indeed contradict themselves, having said that I suppose is a matter of personal interpretation.

Dbackers, interesting points. Now let me ask you more directly (I like direct answers wink.gif ) Do you think it is possible for a Prophet to lead us astray?

> TOPIC: The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,