The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? - Page 12 of 33

I understand what you are saying. My main - Page 12 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 8th Jun, 2008 - 9:59pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 33 pgs.  8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ...Latest (33) »

Are Mormons meant to follow blindly? We may say no, but if you disagree what do you do? Pray UNTIL you believe? Should we believe that all that is written and said by the Modern Prophets is correct and infallible? If so, then why do we have to pray about it? Is it for us to believe what they say or really to find out if that is what we ought to be doing? Controversial Mormon Issue.
The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? Related Information to The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?
14th Nov, 2007 - 12:32am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? - Page 12

Do you think it is possible for a Prophet to lead us astray?

I believe no, not in the important information that we need to know. That is the most direct answer to that question.

I do understand how it could be believed that we should be wary of Earthly leaders as it is constantly said that Christ is the only perfect example, but I am confident that the Lord would not allow the Church to be led astray by the Prophet. I do not believe the Prophet to be infallible, however. I know this seems like a contradiction.
But I believe that even prophets has personal opinions, (politically,socially and spiritually) that if held up to the ultimate truth of the Universe may not be 100% correct. We therefore do not have to agree on every point of opinion that the prophet holds.That does not mean that the person is any less a Prophet of God. The Prophet will lead us to Christ.

I have based my entire belief system on the Fact the Lord in the latter days will not allow the Church to continue to be led (on the macro level) by wicked or misguided individuals. Christ's Church is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, and it is lead by the Savior, through a Prophet. That seems to be a doctrine that is essential to the Restored Church. Without it, it seems to me that we are just one among the hundreds of denominations or sects that makes up the world of Christian Religions.

Sponsored Links:
6th Jun, 2008 - 3:29am / Post ID: #

Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

From the First Presidency Message for this month: President Eyring's words about following the counsel of Prophets. What do you think about this statement?

Looking for the path to safety in the counsel of prophets makes sense to those with strong faith. When a prophet speaks, those with little faith may think that they hear only a wise man giving good advice. Then if his counsel seems comfortable and reasonable, squaring with what they want to do, they take it. If it does not, they either consider it faulty advice or they see their circumstances as justifying their being an exception to the counsel.

8th Jun, 2008 - 8:16am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Looking for the path to safety in the counsel of prophets makes sense to those with strong faith. When a prophet speaks, those with little faith may think that they hear only a wise man giving good advice. Then if his counsel seems comfortable and reasonable, squaring with what they want to do, they take it. If it does not, they either consider it faulty advice or they see their circumstances as justifying their being an exception to the counsel.

It definitely takes more faith to follow the counsel of prophets without question. I have known many, many good people over the years who are "selectively faithful." They follow the counsel of the prophet as long as it fits their agenda. When it does not fit they start to rationalize and intellectualize until there is no resemblance to the original counsel.

It is always easier to follow the world than to follow the prophet. And yet without the Gospel the world has no sense of purpose.

8th Jun, 2008 - 3:00pm / Post ID: #

Page 12 Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

alskann:

It definitely takes more faith to follow the counsel of prophets without question.

Don't you find could be quite a dangerous practice taking into consideration that Prophets are not infallible? I believe in following the counsel given by the Prophets once I receive confirmation through prayer as Elder Eyring counseled in the past.

8th Jun, 2008 - 4:36pm / Post ID: #

Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

I completely agree. We should follow the Prophets in faith; not blind faith. Big difference. When I say "without question" it is an assumptive statement that we have already pondered it out for ourselves. We are admonished to search and ponder the answers for ourselves and then go forth in faith. We should always seek out our own confirmation, then once recieve that confirmation it increases our faith in the Prophets and our ability to follow their counsel.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: It is not necessary to quote the entire post of the user above you. See Constructive Posting Policy.

8th Jun, 2008 - 5:20pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?

Has there ever been anything, anything in the least that the Prophet has said that you do not completely agree? I know I have.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Jun, 2008 - 8:45pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet So That Enough - Page 12

Of course. For one, I don't necessarily agree that having more than two earrings is such a terrible thing. It took me a couple years and a lot of pondering to finally give up my third earring. And there are other examples. But it all comes down to obedience in the end.

Today our youth speaker said something that made sense and reminded me of this conversation. She said, "Faith is when we allow ourselves to be led by the Spirit." To me that means when we follow with faith we have searched and pondered. We are not following blindly. We need to be prepared to even be receptive to the Spirit, let alone to follow. I realize this is a simplistic perspective but the Gospel really is plain and simple.

8th Jun, 2008 - 9:59pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet So That Enough Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 12

I understand what you are saying. My main concern is Members in general who do and say certain things just because it was said by a Prophet once before and not because they understand the meaning of it in their lives. With that sense we would... ensure our wives stayed home and had children one after the other while paying close attention to every utterance our local leaders give us because they would not lead us astray. We would refuse to even speak or talk about Plural Marriage because it is behind us and we would look on the negros as less than those of us who are not of that race.

What do you think about the rest of the Thread? I know it is long reading, but many a good point has been brought up.

> TOPIC: The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,