2 Nephi 25:23 - Page 2 of 2

Name: Pko[?] Comments: I struggle to think - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 2nd Jun, 2010 - 11:08am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 13th Mar, 2010 - 3:53pm / Post ID: #

2 Nephi 25:23
A Friend

2 Nephi 25:23 - Page 2

international QUOTE
It isn't expected that I be perfect.

This might seem kind of off topic but I think it still relates to the topic since the question is 'What is meant by all that ye can do?'

Here are some scriptures that speak on the necessity of perfection:
international QUOTE
4 But let patience have her perfect  work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

international QUOTE
9 For we are glad, when we are weak, and ye are strong: and this also we wish, even your perfection.

international QUOTE
48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father  which is in heaven is perfect.

international QUOTE
#
28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

international QUOTE
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good  works.

international QUOTE
1 Therefore leaving  the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

I can go on and on but what I have quoted is sufficient. Is perfection possible in this life? Yes it is. The perfection that the prophets and apostles spoke about is not the same perfection that we today speak about.

international QUOTE
2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is  a perfect  man, and able also to bridle the whole body.

'After all we can do' means to strive for this perfection. To be able to bridle our whole body. Some will achieve perfection in this life, many will not. Remember what Paul said that all things are possible with Christ.

I'm not saying you will never make a mistake but you can bridle your body, let the Spirit conquer the flesh, and work out your own salvation through fear and trembling. How can we endure to the end if we cannot even endure now?

Sponsored Links:
15th Mar, 2010 - 5:47pm / Post ID: #

Nephi

international QUOTE
Is perfection possible in this life? Yes it is. The perfection that the prophets and apostles spoke about is not the same perfection that we today speak about.

So then what kind of perfection are you saying the prophets and apostles spoke about?

Post Date: 20th Mar, 2010 - 3:42am / Post ID: #

A Friend

2 Nephi 25:23 Studies Doctrine Mormon

Dude, read the quotes that I quoted especially the last one. How can you even reply to my post if haven't read what I said?

The perfection that they spoke about is not a perfection that we today speak about because we think of perfection as being a person of absolute zero mistakes. James said this about a perfect man:" For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body."

It is plain to see that James considered those who are able to bridle their tongues and their bodies as perfect.

Consider the perfection spoken of in the Book of Mormon as compared to the perfection spoken of in the Bible. The Bible says one must be perfect even as our Father in Heaven is perfect. The Book of Mormon tells us to have perfect faith.

international QUOTE
"And he commandeth all men that they must repent, and be baptized in his name, having perfect faith in the Holy One of Israel, or they cannot be saved in the kingdom of God."

international QUOTE
Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected  in him, and deny  yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect  in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect  in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God.
  33 And again, if ye by the grace of God are perfect in Christ, and deny not his power, then are ye sanctified in Christ by the grace of God, through the shedding of the blood of Christ, which is in the covenant of the Father unto the remission of your sins, that ye become holy, without spot.

The Book of Mormon is so beautiful in it's simplicity. James says:" A perfect man is some one who can bridle his whole body" Moroni says:" Deny yourself of all ungodliness so that you may, by His grace, become perfected in Christ" Remember only those who have perfect faith in God can be saved in the kingdom of God. The key is Faith. By faith we can become perfect, because only with perfect faith can one deny himself of all ungodliness and bridle his whole body. Never is it mentioned that the person must be completely mistake free.

Post Date: 13th Apr, 2010 - 9:15am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 2 Nephi

If I rely wholly upon the merits of him, I become perfect like him in a justice sense. He presents His mistake free perfection to the Father on my behalf.
Regarding Nephi's use of the phrase "after all we can do". Many dictionaries define the phrase "after all". It doesn't always mean a time sequence as in, "do good works first and then the grace kicks in". To me, "after all" has come to mean "notwithstanding". Also, if we look to the Book of Mormon itself to define "all we can do" I like to cross reference 2 Nephi 25:23 with Alma 24:11. We read, ""¦it has been all we could do"¦ to repent of all our sins"¦. And to get God to take them away from our hearts. Clearly repentance includes much work. Even in this work it is mostly my own pleading that God may be willing to take them away from my heart. I think God does so when my faith in Christ is sufficient, sufficient enough to walk in the path He outlined. But even when I finally submit to walk in the path He outlined, it was because He softened my heart, and because he gave me the ability to do so. The more I think along these lines the bigger and more wonderful the Grace becomes. When I become able and willing to be obedient I find that I was given the ability and willingness through the Lord's Mercy. Truly His yoke is easy and His burden is light.

1st Jun, 2010 - 3:00am / Post ID: #

Nephi

I've often wondered how Heavenly Father could be all knowing and yet still need to see how we will pass the test. Shouldn't he like know that already?

Post Date: 2nd Jun, 2010 - 11:08am / Post ID: #

Name: Pko[?]

Comments: I struggle to think an all knowing God would have any surprises in regards to the destiny/destination of our soul. The plan of salvation gives us a chance to know ourselves and make the choice our selves. It helps us to get to know ourselves also. We make the choice and the strength, resources and knowledge will be given to us to accomplish all things... 1 Nephi 3:7.

On another note, I believe Heavenly Father can't just hand out eternal life willy nilly to just anyone. There is eternal law and justice involved. In other words there are all the intelligences in the universe to provide fairness toward (us included). If he denied His word He would cease to be God. I remember an excellent article from W. Cleon Skousen that shed some light on this. I think its called "Meaning of the Atonement".

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
+  1 2 

> TOPIC: 2 Nephi 25:23

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,