Best Age For Mormons To Marry - Page 2 of 3

QUOTE I beg your pardon. You had said, "The - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 16th Jan, 2013 - 7:36pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Best of  Best Age For Mormons Marry
Post Date: 14th Jan, 2013 - 9:58am / Post ID: #

Best Age For Mormons To Marry - Page 2

Name: Michael

Title: Marriage Age

Comments:

international QUOTE
I understand the analogy and I agree to a certain extent that a person will probably will never be able to fully have everything they need prior to marriage however, as SuzieSu pointed out the maturity level for a lot of these young men and women isn't there.

A couple of questions: 1.) Who are you to judge? 2.) How mature do you have to be in order to get married? The Lord seems to think that they are mature enough to represent Him to all the world. Why are they not mature enough to get married? Can you explain that to me? They are more mature than many older and supposedly more "Mature" people who get married and then end up getting divorced. As I said, my father was 20 when he got married, and my mother had just barely turned 18, and the were able to build a successful marriage that lasted for 56 years when they passed away. I'm sure that there were a lot of people, like you, who were judging them and saying that they were too young to get married and not yet mature enough, but they proved those people, and you, wrong. Many much older people who are supposedly much more "Mature" have less successful marriages. Who is to judge who is ready to get married and who is not?

You seem to think that the Brethren simply made this decision off the top of their heads without any fasting or prayer. The fact is that for many years many young missionaries from other countries have been leaving to serve their missions at the age of 18, so the Brethren have a great deal of experience from which to draw in order to make the decision they did, and apparently that worked out so well for those young missionaries from other countries that the decided that if would be good if our young men could have the same opportunity. How much experience have you had at this that would contradict the experience of the Brethren with literally thousands of young men?

international QUOTE

I don't believe a young woman or man should marry young just because of Church culture and tradition.

I don't either and nobody is saying that they have to. They don't have to get married as soon as they come home from their missions if they don't want to. I didn't get married until I had been home from my mission for 6 years. I just spoke with my name-sake nephew who came home from his mission, has graduated from college, and still is not married. But if a young man and woman fast and pray about it, and the Lord says that they should get married, then who are you to say that they should not?

Sponsored Links:
14th Jan, 2013 - 11:39am / Post ID: #

Marry Mormons Age Best

The only "maturity" level difference between someone that is 18 verses 19 is a perhaps little more time away from home. It's happened in the past, but with the age lowered, there will be more Elders, and Sisters that came right from home, where everything (dishes, laundry, etc"¦) was done for them. I can see more missionaries getting "home sick" because of this, and the fact that they can't use, or very restricted in the use of technology.
There is no real correlation between physical age, and mental age, I.e. Maturity. There are down to earth, bright, people that are young, just look at one of Forbes magazine's featuring the "30 under 30", this lists people that make a lot of money, and/or, are in high level management positions, like CEO, before the age of 30.
On the other side of the spectrum of age, there are the fifty-year-olds that live like twenty. You can find stories all the time where people squander lottery winnings even declare bankruptcy, who are, or should be, old enough, to know to save it, and to spend it wisely.

Post Date: 14th Jan, 2013 - 5:29pm / Post ID: #

Best Age For Mormons To Marry Studies Doctrine Mormon

Title: Age for Marriage

Comments: I agree, Haleray. In fact, from I have heard, the Brethren are actually more concerned about all the returned missionaries who come home from their missions and don't get married and don't even date but just go over to girls' houses and hang out, like friends, without ever developing a serious relationship with anyone.

Edited Message Edited...
Persephone: Note, the Guest facility is not meant for constant Posting, if you wish to contribute to many of the Topics please consider creating an account to do so at your leisure.

15th Jan, 2013 - 12:36am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Marry Mormons Age Best

Michael, it would be useful if you create an account in the forum so you can fully participate:

international QUOTE
A couple of questions: 1.) Who are you to judge?

I am not passing judgement. I am stating my opinion, you can either agree or disagree with it.

international QUOTE
2.) How mature do you have to be in order to get married?

In my opinion, mature enough to understand the kind of commitment you are getting into and the kind of financial obligations and responsibilities you will have specially when children come into the picture. Unfortunately, love doesn't pay the bills. Money does.

international QUOTE
The Lord seems to think that they are mature enough to represent Him to all the world. Why are they not mature enough to get married? Can you explain that to me?

Because as someone pointed out before, marriage is a completely different thing than proselyting for the Church. We are talking about an spouse, we are talking about building a home, we are talking about a full time job, we are talking about children and becoming parents, I mean the comparison is non-existent.

international QUOTE
As I said, my father was 20 when he got married, and my mother had just barely turned 18, and the were able to build a successful marriage that lasted for 56 years when they passed away. I'm sure that there were a lot of people, like you, who were judging them and saying that they were too young to get married and not yet mature enough, but they proved those people, and you, wrong. Many much older people who are supposedly much more "Mature" have less successful marriages. Who is to judge who is ready to get married and who is not?

I won't argue the fact that there are exceptions but generally speaking, I don't think is advisable for an 18 year old to get married. Again, my opinion.

15th Jan, 2013 - 12:45am / Post ID: #

Marry Mormons Age Best

international QUOTE
What are the "Financial resources" that are necessary in order to get married? Have you ever been to a third world country? I have. People all over the world marry with less "Financial resources" than the average returned missionary here in our country.

As a matter of fact I lived in a few third world countries and yes people marry with less than our people here but have you seen the amount of challenges they face? Have you seen the amount of help they receive from the Church? I believe the welfare program was intended to help the Saints temporally however, in many of these countries some of these same young men and women live in Church welfare for years.

Post Date: 15th Jan, 2013 - 4:34pm / Post ID: #

Best Age For Mormons To Marry

Title: Marriage age

Comments:

international QUOTE
I am not passing judgement. I am stating my opinion, you can either agree or disagree with it.

I beg your pardon. You had said, "The maturity is just not there." That is a judgment on your part.

international QUOTE

How mature do you have to be in order to get married?

In my opinion, mature enough to understand the kind of commitment you are getting into and the kind of financial obligations and responsibilities you will have specially when children come into the picture. Unfortunately, love doesn't pay the bills. Money does.

And you don't think that returned missionaries are mature enough to understand those things? Guess what! Returned missionaries have been coming home from their missions and getting married at age 21 and making successful marriages for many years. We are talking about a difference of one year. Do you really think that one year makes that much of a difference? Apparently the Brethren don't agree with you.

international QUOTE
"The Lord seems to think that they are mature enough to represent Him to all the world. Why are they not mature enough to get married? Can you explain that to me?"

Because as someone pointed out before, marriage is a completely different thing than proselyting for the Church. We are talking about an spouse, we are talking about building a home, we are talking about a full time job, we are talking about children and becoming parents, I mean the comparison is non-existent.

Yes, you're right--"The comparison is non-existent. These young men have spent two years representing the Lord, getting revelation, speaking under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost, dealing with people's eternal salvation, etc. You're right--"The comparison is non-existent."

international QUOTE
As I said, my father was 20 when he got married, and my mother had just barely turned 18, and the were able to build a successful marriage that lasted for 56 years when they passed away. I'm sure that there were a lot of people, like you, who were judging them and saying that they were too young to get married and not yet mature enough, but they proved those people, and you, wrong. Many much older people who are supposedly much more "Mature" have less successful marriages. Who is to judge who is ready to get married and who is not?

I won't argue the fact that there are exceptions but generally speaking, I don't think is advisable for an 18 year old to get married. Again, my opinion.

Apparently the Brethren disagree with your opinion. I would argue that the returned missionary who comes home from his mission, gets married and is a complete failure in life is the exception. The rule is that most of those marriages turn out to be successful more often than many who are much more "Mature," in the eyes of the world, than 21 year old returned missionaries. My opinion.

international QUOTE
Michael, it would be useful if you create an account in the forum so you can fully participate:

Rather off topic, but...
I thought I was fully participating. What would I gain by creating an account?

Title: Marriage Age

Comments:
international QUOTE
As a matter of fact I lived in a few third world countries and yes people marry with less than our people here but have you seen the amount of challenges they face?

Yes, I have, and guess what! They get by.

international QUOTE
Have you seen the amount of help they receive from the Church?

The vast majority, particularly non-members, receive no help from the Church, but they get by without it.

international QUOTE
I believe the welfare program was intended to help the Saints temporally however, in many of these countries some of these same young men and women live in Church welfare for years.

I personally know people in this country who do the same, but that is the exception, not the rule. Most returned missionaries who come home from their missions and get married never need any help from the Church. That is the rule. Those that need help from the Church are the exception.

Edited Message Edited...
Persephone: Note, the Guest facility is not meant for constant Posting, if you wish to contribute to many of the Topics please consider creating an account to do so at your leisure.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
16th Jan, 2013 - 6:29pm / Post ID: #

Best Age Mormons Marry - Page 2

international QUOTE
My father married at age 20 and my mother had just turned 18. They were in college at the time, and my father went on to graduate, and then worked and went to school part-time, until he eventually got an Ed.D. He was able to provide for a family of 11 children, and my parents did not stay together because they felt they had to do so. They were deeply in love with each other until they passed away after 56 years of marriage.

I think it's this struggling together that strengthens the bonds of love and marriage. Sure some will fall by the wayside, but that was Satan's plan; the false premise that everyone must or should be saved.

Reconcile Edited: bcspace on 16th Jan, 2013 - 6:30pm

16th Jan, 2013 - 7:36pm / Post ID: #

Best Age Mormons Marry Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

international QUOTE
I beg your pardon. You had said, "The maturity is just not there." That is a judgment on your part.

Then when you said the maturity is there you was also passing judgment? Because with this same premise, who are you to judge? I was stating my opinion just like you was stating yours.

international QUOTE
Apparently the Brethren don't agree with you.

And it's perfectly fine with me.

international QUOTE
These young men have spent two years representing the Lord, getting revelation, speaking under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost, dealing with people's eternal salvation, etc. You're right--"The comparison is non-existent."

I know you was being sarcastic but really I don't think we could compare an eternal decision such as marriage, dealing with the serious challenges that marriages sometimes have to deal with, children, finances difficulties with proselyting for the Church. It's like comparing apples with oranges.

international QUOTE
Apparently the Brethren disagree with your opinion.

And again, it's perfectly fine with me.

Rather off topic, but...
Michael, even though I might not agree with some of your points I think you are a constructive poster. Joining the forum will ease the work of the administrators, since they have to approve the messages of guests before they are posted, it is not done automatically, it will also allow you to become a member of our community.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Best Age For Mormons To Marry

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,