D & D RPG Review Closed - Page 8 of 9

Thanks for the feed back. Small notes, this - Page 8 - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 25th Mar, 2013 - 4:38pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

23rd September 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Wizard
Wizard
Paladin
Paladin
Cleric
Cleric
Barbarian
Barbarian
Ranger
Ranger
Fighter
Fighter
Warlock
Warlock
Draconian
Draconian
Rogue
Rogue

+  « First of 9 pgs.  4 5 6 7 8 9 
Closed
4th Mar, 2013 - 7:35pm / Post ID: #

D & D RPG Review Closed - Page 8

I find this scenario very interesting, I have never heard of a story like this one before. From my point of view, the items given to the characters on the story were very good. I like the mysterious story about the dungeon and its creatures. I really enjoy the story, thanks.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 11th Mar, 2013 - 4:52pm / Post ID: #

D & D RPG Review Closed
A Friend

Closed Review RPG and D

[To Bruconero] Always fun talking game master logistics with you. We have very different game running styles but, we have the exact same problems because that is how it works on a forum run game.

I enjoy throwing ideas, solutions, and talking out things with you. It helps me mentally work out the struggles I have I hope you get the same out of our chats.

11th Mar, 2013 - 5:14pm / Post ID: #

D & D RPG Review Closed Reviews RPG & Card Board

Yes, I enjoy them either. We have completely different ways of managing the games, but that's normal: every Dungeon Master has his\her own style. I like reading your game and I think you are doing a great job. Really.

The only input I would like to give you is this. In my opinion, you worry too much about what your players are thinking about the way you manage things. You should bring them to follow you, rather than adapt your style to their liking. You are doing a good job. Believe in what you are doing and, if somebody doesn't like it, he is free to go. Somebody else will take his place.
Also, I think that allowing the players to create exceptions to the setting (I mean major changes, not small things) is not a good choice. I know you do it because you want to get them involved and feel like they are really part of the story, but maybe would be better to wait until they become part of the story by themselves. An example is Tsila: you adapted your books and the story about his master opening the way but that didn't prevent him from disappearing. Now you face the consequences, because you have to struggle to keep that story on but you don't have anymore its main actor.

I'm telling you this (since the beginning, remember?) not because I think to be better than you or a better Dungeon Master or whatever. Is because I have more experience. I started playing with my friends but I held games for 6 years (this same setting, just more detailed) in Game Centers. My players were people I never met before and I had the same problems as here. Somebody would come twice and then disappear, somebody would create the character and never come back. Just the same. And, just like here, most of them don't care about how much work and time you are putting on it. You are not playing with your friends here: is unknown people that don't care about you.
As a suggestion, you can base your story on StefflaBunny, she is your friend, but don't do it with the others.

Post Date: 11th Mar, 2013 - 5:29pm / Post ID: #

D & D RPG Review Closed
A Friend

Page 8 Closed Review RPG and D

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

As to the books... The books where going to be part of the main quest the entire time. There content and everything is part of my story. The only thing I added was the memory and recollection of the writers name. Since they chose that religious order it only seamed fair, and so that my players would not be left wondering a bout the significance of whom wrought the book. That and I did not want to have to type up a chapter as a autobiography, or leave the players wondering about that.

The fun of my game's "Master puzzle" is them being in the dark (figuratively) but, I want there to be some knowledge to light the way as they work out whats going on.

17th Mar, 2013 - 3:56pm / Post ID: #

Closed Review RPG and D

I love the maps you create for your adventure. Is that by hand or some kind of generator? What software do you use if you don't mind me asking?

Post Date: 17th Mar, 2013 - 4:09pm / Post ID: #

D & D RPG Review Closed
A Friend

D & D RPG Review Closed

By hand. And thank you!

I did look at some free generators, but the were ether very limited or way to complex to get to work.

Funny thing is, I am putting a discussion thread together right now talking about maps. I would love it if you join the conversation there it should be up soon as I'm done spell checking it.

It will have some pointers on how to make a map easily and ideally I will use it to share some blank maps for others to use.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
25th Mar, 2013 - 7:55am / Post ID: #

D & RPG Review Closed - Page 8

Even if I'm not one of the players that are trying to find their way past the "Trial of the Gods", I would like to spend a few words about the game. It will be an external perspective as well as an example that the actual players might want to follow. Feedback is of great importance to improve any weak spot and understand how the game is flowing as a whole.

The Game Master, KittenPunk, is doing a great job in my opinion in giving to her players the feeling of reality, the sensation that what is told is real and not only an invented story put as a background to allow some Dungeons & Dragons Role Play. The emotionally charge she puts in the events and descriptions, the way she makes each character become cause and consequence of the story, the thick storyline, all contribute to this goal. The events slowly unfold around the players, presented at first in a blurry way and then progressively clarified as the party moves in the right direction.

Strong and weak points. A premise to this second part of my review must be: what I report here are only personal opinions therefore should not be read as the Truth but as the result of personal tastes. For each aspect I will use the following format: good, bad, personal opinion. Here we go.

Storyline: Thick, deep and very well designed. KittenPunk made an awesome job in transforming a classic theme, the long dungeon crawl, in something new and fresh. The players could spend days inquiring about the twists and hows of the story. The riddles and the clues scattered around would make the joy of any lover of investigation and puzzle solving. The bad side is that it requires study, attention and dedication from the players and not everybody is ready to do that. For me, is simply amazing!

Gameplay: The challenges are very varied and danger lurks behind every corner. The players always have the feeling that something is going to happen which is great to keep interest and attention always alive. The puzzles are witty and very well studied. The down side is that, being a linear dungeon, the party can't find alternative ways to avoid a battle or to go past a puzzle that left them stuck. This is compensated by the Master leaving lot of clues and, sometimes, giving away the solution to certain situations. I'm divided on this subject. From one side, I really don't like solutions to be given when they should not. Is like those adventure games in which they tell you what to do before you had the chance to try by yourself. On the other side, I understand that may be necessary in order for the game to keep a decent pace and to avoid quest items to be left behind. A solution could have been putting the difficult puzzles in areas that are not vital: if solved, the party would win a precious prize, if not they could still go on. Same for hidden items.

Game Master: I can only express appreciation on this subject. Lot of dedication, effort and attention to the details. A couple of mistakes (mainly caused by wrong player's input) but that's absolutely normal. She prefers sensation over realism but, hey, this is Fantasy after all! Thumbs up.

Combat: This is the part I really don't like. Everything seems already decided before it starts and, as a player, it would not scare me at all. This is a general feeling that pervades all the game: no matter what you do, you will not die. As for combat itself, too many info: dice rolls, monsters HP, special attacks. Too similar to an Excel file. "I keep hitting that darn ogre but it doesn't go down!" or "It bite me. What will happen? WHAT WILL HAPPEN?". All of this is lost and you will always know if you just need one more hit.

Conclusion. Great job Kit. Your game is probably one of the best I saw on the web. Only too easy, in my opinion. Keep up the good work!

Post Date: 25th Mar, 2013 - 4:38pm / Post ID: #

D & D RPG Review Closed
A Friend

D & RPG Review Closed Board Card & RPG Reviews - Page 8

Thanks for the feed back.

Small notes, this is still the beginning of the dungeon. So, yes some things are far easier then they should be. The farther and deeper they go the less "help" they will find or get. In the end they will be out right screwed if they can't equip themselves in the early levels of the dungeon.

The fights are not predetermined yes I did kill off a NPC but I kind of needed to. But, the lives of the party hang in the balance of there actions if they had just stood there the spiders would of had a fine meal. It was only by happenstance that the new player came in at that time with the healing potion well water. Otherwise the fight was set up so the cleric would feel useful in the aftermath with real risk of character death as the group of level 3 players took on a group of level 4 monsters.

As to putting to much information [into the] combat posts honestly this is because I'm still new to dungeon mastering and suck at running combat so in order to make it easy for me to run I have to track a lot of key information and the best way to do this is just put my small notes in to the posts summing up the end of each round. Otherwise there would even be less combat as its not something I feel I am strong at running.

+  « First of 9 pgs.  4 5 6 7 8 9 

> TOPIC: D & D RPG Review Closed

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,