Freedom

Freedom - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 4th Apr, 2006 - 1:00am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
What is it? What price are you willing to pay for it?
22nd Sep, 2004 - 10:57am / Post ID: #

Freedom

People are always concerned about their rights to freedom. This has been especially popular in the common talk of those from the USA. What is freedom? How do you know if you are free in a society of laws and rules? What price are you willing to pay for freedom and do you think you can pay that price easily?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3228 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
28th Sep, 2004 - 9:46pm / Post ID: #

Freedom

Godo questions. I think the price of freedom is responsibility, accountability and a great deal of effort. I suppose one shoul dlook at it the same way one would if you owned a farm and had neighbours who were given to rustling your cattle wink.gif

We are children today, too soft and pampered to understand the responsibility of freedom ;(

What is freedom? I believe it is that state which enables you to exercise your free will in any way you desire so long as you do not violate the rights of others.

How does one know one's free? I guess if society punishes people for acts which do not violates the rights of others, then that society is not truly free.

Dubhdara.

International Level: Junior Politician / Political Participation: 100 ActivistPoliticianJunior Politician 10%

28th Sep, 2004 - 11:19pm / Post ID: #

Freedom History & Civil Business Politics

Something I wish (in the best sense of experience) I had the ability to see - war - as one fighting it for freedom would truly teach me what it means to be free. You can look at countries that fought for freedom and those that did not - there is a vast difference in what people perceive is their 'right'. Conquered countries or slave drive cultures also have a very vague view of freedom. Personally I believe fighting for freedom is good so long as we do not misinterpret that 'freedom' for selfish gain.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3228 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 29th Sep, 2004 - 6:14am / Post ID: #

Freedom
A Friend

Freedom

I'm not particularly keen on the USA's view on "freedom"... despite being a resident thereof (go figure tongue.gif ). On the whole, for every one time someone understands the true meaning, two or three other maul the meaning.

What I'm more interested in is the scripture's view on freedom. Simply put, the whole point of the scuffle between Jesus and Lucifer was revolving around this subject (among other things). Jesus' plan was that people would be free to chose as they will. Learning what to choose and gaining an appreciation for your choice. Gaining new knowledge. Developing. Growing. On the other hand, Lucifer's idea was all about enslavement. Forcing people to do right. Problem there is you can't force someone to do something, and even if you can they do it grudgingly.

So, basically, freedom is this. Having the ability to choose from many options. Of course, with freedom comes consequence. Otherwise, it wouldn't be total freedom. If the people who do wrong aren't punished, they infringe on the freedoms of those who are trying to do what's right. Freedom without consequence is anarcy and chaos.

Post Date: 28th Nov, 2004 - 4:05pm / Post ID: #

Freedom
A Friend

Freedom

I think Americans are spoiled when it comes to understanding what freedom is. Growing up, especially with my generation, we've never had to see true fighting for our freedom until now. Granted it isn't the same as it has been in the past, but we're still ensuring our freedom and safety in our nation.

One thing I taught my cabin girls this past Summer was that, as Christians, we become lazy because we are free to believe in God. Very few people in this country know what it's like to be in a country where it is illegal to be a Christian. Missionaries have gone to places like that, and they can testify, but at the same time...they've only been there for a short while in comparison to those who have grown up in those countries. You'll never meet a lukewarm Christian in a persecuted nation.

As for my definition of freedom? I don't think it's something that can truly be defined by words. Yes, it's having the opportunity to make your own choices. Yes, it's being able to practice the religion of your choice. Yes, it's being able to have a job and go to school.

I think there's a sense of pride that comes with it. Everytime something happens in our country, that pride seems to rise, but within months, it's fallen again. People get fired up when our freedom is tested, but when things have settled down, they kind of forget about showing their support for our country and for our men who are overseas fighting.

It's easy to forget, as we sit back in our chais over here, that there are men and women overseas right now fighting for our freedom. Paying with their lives what a lot of people take for granted and never think twice about. I've seen too many of my friend's lives torn apart because of the fight for our freedom, and after everything, I don't think it would be possible for me to take my freedom for granted.

29th Nov, 2004 - 2:16am / Post ID: #

Freedom

Freedom - having the right to believe in what you believe, and being able to express that without fear of being hurt or not accepted. The right to act however you want and say whatever is on your mind. The only restrictions for that, of course, is not to violates someone else's freedom or natural rights.

International Level: Activist / Political Participation: 29 ActivistPoliticianActivist 2.9%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 15th Jan, 2005 - 6:13pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Freedom

"Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains."
-- Jean-Jacques Rousseau - (1712-1778)
Political philosopher, educationist and essayist
Source: The Social Contract

Post Date: 4th Apr, 2006 - 1:00am / Post ID: #

Freedom
A Friend

Freedom Politics Business Civil & History

My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular.

Adlai E. Stevenson Jr., Speech in Detroit, 7 Oct. 1952
US diplomat & Democratic politician (1900 - 1965)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 - 1790)

If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other.

Carl Schurz
US (German-born) general & politician (1829 - 190

In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; it must be achieved.

Franklin D. Roosevelt, Speech, September 22, 1936
32nd president of US (1882 - 1945)

Liberty is the possibility of doubting, of making a mistake,... of searching and experimenting,... of saying No to any authority - literary, artistic, philosophical, religious, social, and even political. 

Ignazio Silone, The God That Failed, 1950

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves

Abraham Lincoln

Most people want security in this world, not liberty.

H.L. Mencken, Minority Report, 1956

Liberty has never come from the government.  Liberty has always come from the subjects of it.  The history of liberty is a history of resistance.

Woodrow Wilson

I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.

James Madison, speech, Virginia Convention, 1788

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.

Edward R. Murrow

Many politicians are in the habit of laying it down as a self-evident proposition that no people ought to be free till they are fit to use their freedom.  The maxim is worthy of the fool in the old story who resolved not to go into the water till he had learned to swim.

Thomas Macaulay

https://www.quotegarden.com/freedom.html

I know its a long post, but sometimes, we need to be reminded of what our forefathers thought about freedom. Then we must consider if what we have now, is the freedom that was intended, and if not, be willing to stand up for it. As one of the quotes above says, freedom is not bestowed, it must be achieved.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Freedom

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,