This Is Not A Restaurant This Is A Church

This Restaurant Church - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 17th Jan, 2013 - 9:54pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
What if a homeless man came to your Ward or Branch... Be honest now... What kind of reception will he get?
18th Sep, 2012 - 5:26pm / Post ID: #

I take Felipe to Church every other Sunday. My wife and I take turns due to having three autistic children that we cannot all go together. After Church last Sunday I was waiting outside the chapel's doors for Felipe to finish his class. At the same time a vagrant came off the streets with his cardboard home looking for a little shelter because it was raining. He saw me standing there and asked if I could help him get something to eat. I said I could not because I only had enough cash to get s taxi home, so he then asked for water so I showed him the Church's water fountain inside. At that same time a priesthood holder and return missionary of the Church was passing. In quick fashion the homeless man asked if he could help with something to eat. The answer I heard next saddened me deeply,

"No man this is not a restaurant, this is a Church"

He then walked off seemingly annoyed that he was asked. I thought to myself... The vagrant should expect more help from a Church than from a restaurant but in this case it was the other way around. What is more sad is I remember being partially blinded like that. The Church has a way of focusing so much on routine and rituals that you forget what real life is all about - fact is... All those hours you spend at Church should be so you can give an appropriate answer or the necessary action to those in need.

Let me change the answer given a bit to show my point,

"No man this is not a restaurant, this is [the true Church of Jesus Christ, the same one that first gave bread and fish to the poor and destitute before even mentioned anything about 'church']"

Now you can see what I mean. Even the Book of Mormon teaches that if you have nothing to give you should say you do not have anything but in your heart you wish that you could give.

These days religion leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Sponsored Links:
19th Sep, 2012 - 9:49pm / Post ID: #

Church Is Restaurant Not This

That is so stupid! Why the priesthood holder will even say things like that? That is cruel! In fact, does he remember to SERVE others like many Mormon teachers and Jesus said? I don't find so! undecided.gif

Reconcile Edited: Felipe on 19th Sep, 2012 - 9:51pm

16th Jan, 2013 - 8:02pm / Post ID: #

This Is Not A Restaurant This Is A Church Studies Doctrine Mormon

When I read this story I couldn't avoid shedding tears because as I was reading it I was imaging the face of this poor man in need of help. Unfortunately many times we are caught so much into the theory of what we learn but we fail the practical aspect. sad.gif

16th Jan, 2013 - 8:38pm / Post ID: #

Some people have had the unfortunate experience of giving money to a homeless person and watching them turn around and use it to buy alcohol. Also, handing them good food directly and watching them throw it away. Such are justified in being careful or even refusing In my humble opinion. I'm one of them.

Nevertheless, I might still have offered to take him to a fast food place or even went to the Church kitchen to if there was anything in the fridge or even seen if there was left over bread from the sacrament. It's a good sign he was asking for food and not money.

16th Jan, 2013 - 10:04pm / Post ID: #

international QUOTE
Some people have had the unfortunate experience of giving money to a homeless person and watching them turn around and use it to buy alcohol. Also, handing them good food directly and watching them throw it away. Such are justified in being careful or even refusing In my humble opinion. I'm one of them.

Brother bcspace this goes against King Benjamin's teachings.

Post Date: 17th Jan, 2013 - 9:24pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Actually, our Church is a restaurant where we give away free spiritual food. But, as the Prophet Joseph Smith taught, you have to fill people's bellies before they will be either willing or able to accept the spiritual food that we have to offer them.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
17th Jan, 2013 - 9:37pm / Post ID: #

This Not Restaurant Is Church

international QUOTE
Brother bcspace this goes against King Benjamin's teachings.

Brother ChicaSUD. The beggar's petition is not in vain when one directs him to the proper place to receive help.

Post Date: 17th Jan, 2013 - 9:54pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

This Not Restaurant Is Church Mormon Doctrine Studies

I don't know, but I suspect that Chica was referring to the part about judging beggars.

Edited Message Edited...
Persephone: It is not necessary to quote the entire post of the user above you. See Constructive Posting Policy.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: This Is Not A Restaurant This Is A Church

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,