Greek Food

Greek Food - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 13th Jan, 2010 - 12:32am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 28th Sep, 2004 - 5:29pm / Post ID: #

Greek Food
A Friend

Greek Food

Can you please tell me the examples of Greek dishes and how they look like secondly what are the recipes for making them.

Sponsored Links:
30th Sep, 2004 - 4:12am / Post ID: #

Food Greek

I love gyros -- sort of a sandwich made from flatbread, thin strips of braised or roasted meat (usually lamb, I think?) with lettuce, tomato, onions, maybe cabbage, and a nice creamy sauce. Delicious!

30th Sep, 2004 - 2:16pm / Post ID: #

Greek Food Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

My favorite is greek salad. Lettuce, pickled beets, mild pickled peppers, olives, feta cheese, and possibly either gyro meet or grilled chicken. Top it off with greek dressing and pita bread, and you have a wonderful meal.

1st Oct, 2004 - 1:00am / Post ID: #

Food Greek

Farseer, I LOVE those sandwiches!!! and I love the type of salad Nighthawk described. I do not know much about Greek food but it seems like they like a lot of fresh foods and vegetables....summer type of food.

Post Date: 18th Oct, 2004 - 2:57am / Post ID: #

Greek Food
A Friend

Food Greek

I absolutely LOVE Greek cuisine! However, I haven't had a kitchen with an adequately large enough counter space on which to work with fillo dough. Some of my favorites are:

Dolomades, an appetizer (grape leaves stuffed with rice, meat, lentils, and seasonings)

Spanikopita, a fantastic spinach and feta cheese pie in fillo dough...

chicken, pork, or beef Souvlaki (beef pictured below)

Baklava for dessert!

Rather off topic, but...
Argh- so much wonderful food, yet unable to display images for it all!

9th Apr, 2006 - 2:20pm / Post ID: #

Greek Food

This is a recipe for Tzatziki (cucumber, Yoghurt and mint salad)
It is meant to be used as a meal accompaniment to go with roast or bbq lamb.
(Although I prefer to just dip doritos in it! laugh.gif

Ingredients required

1/4 pint/150ml of plain natural yoghurt
1/2 a large cucumber
salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 peeled and crushed garlic clove

Method

slice the cucumber in half length ways, scoop out the seeds, and peel the cucumber peel off.

chop the cucumber into tiny fine pieces.

meanwhile, add all the other ingredients together, and season to taste, add the cucumber pieces and stir well.

You will need to either eat immediately, or cover and refrigerate, as it will only stay fresh for a few hours.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
13th Jan, 2010 - 12:32am / Post ID: #

Greek Food

Ah gyros... That is almost what every average student eats every day here as it is the number 1 delivery request. But it is extremely fattening, and I would advise against it as, if it is eaten every day like most people do here and especially in my town(!), you'll be having health issues before you know it.

If someone has bothered to look up Greek cuisine, then they must know of mousaka? I guess people rarely find the time to make it at home, so when in Greece, it is most likely you'll find it in Greek taverns and such. I am a complete disaster in the kitchen, so I do not trust myself enough to make that kind of food(even though all you need really is patience and not so much skill).

The only thing I managed to make well is tyrokafteri which, like tzatziki, is a meal accompaniment. The recipe is quite simple really.

In Greek: τυροκαυτερή, pronounced tee-roh-kahf-teh-REE

A specialty of the region of Thrace in northeastern Greece, this dip is served all over Greece - in varying degrees of heat. This recipe works with red and green peppers. I prefer it hot, rather than mild, but it's all up to the chef!

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

* 1/2 pound of feta cheese
* 1 or more peppers, if you wish (mild to hot, depending on preference)
* olive oil

Preparation:

Crumble the feta(cheese) into small pieces using a fork. The smaller the better.

Saute(pan) the pepper in 2 tablespoons of olive oil until the skin is lightly browned. Remove the stem and discard, and chop the pepper into very small pieces. Using a mortar and pestle, add the pepper and the oil it was sauteed in to the cheese and mash until smooth, adding additional olive oil if needed to bring it to the consistency of a thick (but not stiff) dip.

Alternatively: You can put the cheese, pepper, and oil from sauteeing in the blender and mix, adding more olive oil if needed to bring to the correct consistency. Just be careful with how much oil you add, you don't want to make it swim in it...

Reconcile Edited: Amaruil on 13th Jan, 2010 - 12:34am

> TOPIC: Greek Food

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,