Wushu

Wushu - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 26th Jul, 2007 - 6:25pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

As a means for self-defense
Post Date: 30th Sep, 2004 - 12:59pm / Post ID: #

Wushu

Have you ever considered Wushu as a martial art for protection? Many refer to it as 'Kung Fu', but that is not accurate. See the following link for details.
Ref. https://www.nardis.com/~twchan/liang.html

Sponsored Links:
20th Oct, 2004 - 9:57pm / Post ID: #

Wushu

This is based purely on observation as I have not had formal training. The art form seems to be highly concentrated on the use of weapons which makes it not very realistic for self-defense as one will not be walking down the road armed with a sword or military fork. I however like the fact that they have an answer for making anything a weapon. The art also seems weak on the ground. If someone who is expert in this art form can enlighten us that will be great.

Post Date: 8th Apr, 2007 - 7:57pm / Post ID: #

Wushu
A Friend

Wushu Sports & Fashion Music Movies

I've observed alot of Wushu, and to me it seems to be a bastardised version of Kung Fu. The weapons they train with are easily shattered even when compared to ancient Chinese weapons, and I've never seen nor heard of anyone using the hand-to-hand moves.

And on the topic of ground fighting, I don't think Wushu has any.

8th Apr, 2007 - 9:08pm / Post ID: #

Wushu

So you are saying that Wushu is largely a variant of the pure form of Kung Fu? To me it is the 'dirty version', in other words, normally you will follow the 'rules' and do this or that, but with Wushu there is an 'extra' way, so long as you win. I wonder how it would stand up to ninjitsu or the original six styles of Kung Fu?

Note: From the Jet Li films you will notice that he tends to trample on the pure forms. See the Thread we have on 'Fearless'.

26th Jul, 2007 - 6:25pm / Post ID: #

Wushu

Present wushu is now performance arts and points are given to how beautiful a form is and its gymnastic quotient. Martial utility does not count in wushu performance!
If wushu athletes do sanda, sanshou or shuaijiao, then they usually get excellent marks at international competition. If you compare the ones who do taolu (forms) and the ones who do sanda, they are not the same people who win.
Alot of sanda winners are Mongolian, Iranian, and others who actually train hard for these contact venues.

> TOPIC: Wushu

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,