Mormons and Sex Education

Mormons Sex Education - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 4th Jun, 2004 - 5:24am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »
Should children be taught this outside of the home?
13th Apr, 2004 - 4:12pm / Post ID: #

Should Sex Education be only taught in the home? Suppose there are parents that we can see probably have not covered the topic well enough in their home?

If you had a child that was not active in the Church, but you had a feeling they were sexually active (although they never admitted to it), would you ask them to wear a condom or some kind of protection or will you just preach abstinence even though you know they are most likely not going to listen?

13th Apr, 2004 - 5:06pm / Post ID: #

Education Sex Mormons

If you had a child that was not active in the Church, but you had a feeling they were sexually active (although they never admitted to it), would you ask them to wear a condom or some kind of protection or will you just preach abstinence even though you know they are most likely not going to listen?

First of all, you never know when your children are listening wink.gif so I personally would never give up my standards and I know I have a responsibility to teach my children the right things in life. My Patriarchal blessing warns me very hard about teaching my children the Gospel. So I would preach abstinence and try my best for my son/daughter to listen my counsel, do otherwise would be give up what I believe to be true and to put my child in a position of danger.

13th Apr, 2004 - 9:15pm / Post ID: #

Mormons and Sex Education Studies Doctrine Mormon

Well, I actually went as far as to buy my sons condoms. It didn't matter, he apparently didn't wear them. So, I think if they aren't responsible enough on their own to buy them, they probably won't wear them either.

My son was not and still is not a member. I was inactive during most of this youth right up until he was 17. By then he was already sexually active. I didn't know for sure he was but I did suspect. I had always tried to teach him that he needed to at least not have sex until he was ready to deal with all possible consequences. I didn't believe it would do me any good to just preach the gospel view on the subject because by the time I returned to the Church he was already 17 and not a member himself. He didn't (doesn't) have the same beliefs as I do, so I tried to speak with him as an adult and reason with him given what his belief system and morals were.

I don't know what I would counsel someone whose child is also a member. I agree with LDS that the most important thing to do is preach/teach them the gospel standards. If you say, "don't have sex, but if you do, wear a condom," you are suggesting that the possibility exists that they might choose to have sex. While that possibility does exist, I wonder if by your acknowledging to them that you know they might choose not to obey the law of chastity, they might almost consider that "permission" in a way. You know, they may think, "even my parents understand this isn't a realistic standard."

As far as sex education is concerned, I think the strictly biological effects that a person goes through should be taught in school, but not the actual sexual acts themselves.

13th Apr, 2004 - 10:35pm / Post ID: #

Education Sex Mormons

This brings a question into my mind... based on current world standards, when should be the age that we begin to teach them about these things? These days, children with milk still on their cheeks can tell you more about sex than a child from 10 years ago. It is frightening to know what Felipe may be exposed to at a tender age.

13th Apr, 2004 - 10:41pm / Post ID: #

Education Sex Mormons

I would day some discussion about puberty, etc., probably needs to begin around 8 or 9. I know my son was already hearing stuff from friends by this age. It is awful to consider, but it is true. These young children spend time in the company of older children, siblings and on the school bus, etc. These older children freely discuss these subject and the young kids here it.

I would say you will know when it is time. There will be some comment from your young child that will lead you to realize he/she has heard something. Then, I believe it will be your responsibility to make sure they have the correct information and the gospel perspective about it as well.

13th Apr, 2004 - 10:47pm / Post ID: #

That is old... I have heard children as young as 5 and 6 telling me about the women and men and all that they do, I was amazed, not to mention the profanity - wow - terrible!

Post Date: 1st Jun, 2004 - 10:52pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Mormons Sex Education

POLICIES ON SEX ED CAUSE CONCERN

Sex education in American middle and high schools has taken on new meaning. At institutions that accept government money, teachers must advocate abstinence until marriage as the only certain way to prevent unplanned pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases and may not mention contraception except to point out the failure rates of various methods.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...67208%2C00.html

Post Date: 4th Jun, 2004 - 5:24am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mormons Sex Education Mormon Doctrine Studies

Last Sunday our Branch President combined Relief Society and Priesthood and showed a video tape that our Stake President and given to him regarding Sex Education. The video is *Sex Has A Price Tag* it is by Pam Stenzel. Here is the blurb on the tape from her site: https://www.pamstenzel.com/

**People today are faced with a raging plague of sex related problems. Pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases - including HIV - and rape statistics are at all time highs. Even so, today's society encourages sexual activity, and young people must have a compelling reason to commit to sexual abstinence. In "Sex Has A Price Tag" internationally renown communicator, Pam Stenzel, combines her personal story and extensive pregnancy counseling experience into a hard hitting look at the consequences of sexual activity outside of God's design for sex, which is marriage. In this captivating and inspiring talk, Pam tackles the tough issues of sex with candor, insight, humor, and a challenge for young people to get
the "abstinence advantage".**

She is not LDS, thus this is not produced by the Church. That isn't important. This is a fantastic video and a wonderful teaching tool. I learned things I never knew, and it hit me pretty hard. (cheating husband!) She is no-nonsense, direct, yet she really reaches you and speaks in a language all ages will understand. I highly recommend it to all parents and for all who are sexually promiscuous.

When our Branch President announced that it had been decided that it was not going to be shown to the Youth, EVERY SINGLE PARENT turned to him in unison and in concert asked: Why NOT??
*The Parents are to show it at home as they watch with their children, IF they so desire. They can check the video out with the Branch President and return it with-in 24 hours.*

What really struck me is that Pam emphasizes: No Sex unless you are married. Are you married? No, then NO sex. If he loves you, he will take no for an answer and stop with the pressure. If he loves you, he will marry you.

Condoms do not protect from ALL Sexually Transmitted Disease's. Herpes is communicable by skin touching skin and it is Viral which means it is INCURABLE. Back in the eighties the crude saying was: Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving, and giving, and giving.

If you can afford to get the tape ~$20.00 US~ get it and watch it. Show it to your children, your cousins, nieces & nephews. Share it with your Ward, Stake, Singles Group. Share it with your single friends who are sexually active.

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »
Thank you for your continued support of our Community.

> TOPIC: Mormons and Sex Education

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,