Mormons and Sex Education - Page 2 of 6

QUOTE (tenaheff @ 6-Oct 04, 6:52 - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 6th Oct, 2004 - 7:12pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
Should children be taught this outside of the home?
5th Jun, 2004 - 3:11am / Post ID: #

Mormons and Sex Education - Page 2

That's great info, Agene, thank you! I will certainly check into that.

As far as sex education goes, I firmly believe it should be taught in the home. Obviously, not all parents agree with that idea, and do nothing to teach their kids. It's just one of the reasons this country is in the sad shape it's in, as far as TV and other popular entertainment goes. Even the so-called children's channels have lurid commercials.

Parents are negligent, in my opinion, if they do not teach their kids about intimacy -- not just the physical act of sexual relations, but the intimate nature of that physical joining, and how it relates to eternity, etc. Besides all the horrible things that can happen with sex out of wedlock, like disease and unwanted pregnancy, the spiritual problems and repentance issues are just as awful.

IMO
Roz

Post Date: 6th Oct, 2004 - 12:06am / Post ID: #

Education Sex Mormons

Do you think sex education should be taught in schools? Regardless to wether you agree or not state your argument. In addition you may wish to add where, when, and what should be taught with regards to sex education.

6th Oct, 2004 - 12:41am / Post ID: #

Mormons and Sex Education Studies Doctrine Mormon

Yes and no. I believe it is o.k. to teach girls and boys separately, the physical changes their bodies will go through as they mature. However, as far as teaching about the sexual acts themselves and that relationship between men and women, no. That has no place in school.

Many people have strong religious convictions regarding sex. Schools will not teach about these convictions when teaching about sex. So, I believe the schools would be infringing on a family's right to practice religion.

Post Date: 6th Oct, 2004 - 4:33am / Post ID: #

Mormons and Sex Education
A Friend

Page 2 Education Sex Mormons

If it is taught in schools, at least one thing must be clear. There should be no deviation from the teaching material that the teacher has been given. It is an extremely sensitive subject, and should a "not so good" person happen to have a teaching job it would ruin so much.

If the teacher is not corrupt, then by all means I support it being taught. People who're taught correctly, and remember those teachings, won't add to the degradation of society that currently exists on a worldwide basis.

...However, as far as teaching about the sexual acts themselves and that relationship between men and women, no. That has no place in school.

Indeed. Like I said in the first two paragraphs, they should teach in a way that makes students know what dangers to AVOID. Anyone that teaches the acts themselves is deviating from the material (assuming the material was on track to begin with).

Reconcile Edited: Talduras on 6th Oct, 2004 - 4:37am

Post Date: 6th Oct, 2004 - 5:36am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Education Sex Mormons

I agree with both of you. I want to add that I feel that the consequences (ALL of the consequences too!) of having sex should be explained to the students. I also feel that great emphasis should be placed on you DO NOT have sex unless you are married. Period, no If's, And's or But's. You are not married ~ No Sex.

I recently saw the Video: [I]Sex Has a Price Tag. [/I] by Pam Stenzel. Here is a link to her web page. https://www.pamstenzel.com/

I was greatly impressed with her video, and I highly recommend it. I recommend that the parents view it first, and then watch it with their children.

6th Oct, 2004 - 1:52pm / Post ID: #

I also feel that great emphasis should be placed on you DO NOT have sex unless you are married. Period, no If's, And's or But's. You are not married ~ No Sex.

This will never be taught from our public schools, at least not in the US. While I agree with you because of my religious convictions, the vast majority of US citizens do not. Those who don't will say this is not a realistic teaching and that we would be better served to teach them safe sex than no sex. This is one more reason why I don't think schools should teach sexual education, yet I do think teens need to be educated about how to protect themselves from HIV, etc. However, I think it should be done in a manner that doesn't teach that sex is o.k. It would be best if parents taught about these dangers, but not all will. In fact, many won't and so I think it is important that they are taught for their personal safety. Whether or not we agree with the morality of it, teens do have sex, someone needs to help them not get infected with HIV as a result and or pregnant...in my opinion.

6th Oct, 2004 - 4:56pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Sex Education - Page 2

I feel *all* planned education should come from the parents or those they delegate to do so. So I do not believe anything should be taught otuside those parameters (so no state education for example).

Can "sex education" (as it is called) be delegated? I would say yes, if the parents are incapabale of it (which is hardly likely) - though I think grandparents and extended family should be resorted to before school. Put another way, I think Church more qualified as a place to learn such things than school, but even that is a distant resort to parents/extended family.

Can some aspects of "sex education" be taught by teachers? Yes, perhaps some aspects.

Let's remember millions of people have got by in the past without sex education beyond the little (or sometimes very little!) their families told them. They did not do badly considering; indeed one could say they dealt with things a lot better than our "educated" generation.

Dubhdara.

Post Date: 6th Oct, 2004 - 7:12pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mormons Sex Education Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

QUOTE (tenaheff @ 6-Oct 04, 6:52 AM)
Whether or not we agree with the morality of it, teens do have sex, someone needs to help them not get infected with HIV as a result and or pregnant...in my opinion.

There is more, much, much more than HIV and pregnancy to be concerned about. HIV isn't the only STD that is deadly. There are also numerous other STD's that don't kill, they just cause sterility!

The original question was: Do you think sex education should be taught in schools?
I said yes. The reason being is that not all people are religious, and not all parents are responsible enough to teach their children. Yet nearly ALL children go to school, thus if the schools teach it the children have a better chance of learning it.

Tena:
However, as far as teaching about the sexual acts themselves and that relationship between men and women, no. That has no place in school.

I agree. But the students need to be taught the consequences of the sexual act.
This can be taught without having to teach them how to have sex.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
Thank you for your continued support of our Community.

> TOPIC: Mormons and Sex Education

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,