Mormon Testimony Meeting Not Actually A Testimony

Mormon Testimony Meeting Testimony - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 13th Jun, 2008 - 6:56am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
A time to praise men?
5th Jun, 2006 - 1:52am / Post ID: #

Testimony Meeting

Today in Testimony Meeting I could not help but be turned off by some of the Testimonies given. Most were giving adoration towards General Authorities and people rather than to God. They were not sharing a witness, but were sharing a literal story. I Say 'story' because sometimes members of the Church talk about those in positions as though they are infallible or somehow more worthy. It is not limited to the Branch we attend, but all over. I also find that the less someone actually knows about the Gospel, the more likely they are to be looking for Light in people they think have it.

What are your thoughts? Are members of the Church focusing too much on man? Are they treating GAs and members in 'high' positions with more favor than others? Is their testimony not focusing on the the things that matter? Hows is it in your Ward / Branch?

Sponsored Links:
5th Jun, 2006 - 2:41pm / Post ID: #

Testimony Actually Meeting Testimony Mormon

I notice an increase of "praises to men" and it's kind of scary considering is happening during Testimony Meeting, a time where you are supposed to testify the divinity of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He is almost forgotten in the testimonies I hear every month in my Branch.

There is a huge emphasis on leaders and high callings and General Authorities, but it is not the common excitement people get when they know a GA is coming but a whole story, covered by details, even mentioning how the GA looks at you and how they whisper when they talk, etc etc etc...the stories are told almost like a fairy tale type of tone, making the rest of the members open their eyes big like if they are talking about Jesus Christ himself.

6th Nov, 2006 - 1:01am / Post ID: #

Mormon Testimony Meeting Not Actually A Testimony Studies Doctrine Mormon

We had more of this today, this time the focus on 'what the missionaries have done for me' as opposed to 'what the Lord has done for me'. There were a couple of testimonies that saved the day and I have to say that I learnt the importance of getting up there and sharing something about the Lord even when others choose not to. Now I did not get up there, but those that did made all the difference in the world.

9th Jun, 2008 - 11:43pm / Post ID: #

Although I know it happens all too often--I do believe that we are all on different spiritual levels. We know that anothers testimony of Christ will not be sufficient for us in the end. BUT I believe there are steps to the end, one being leaning on someone for a testimony until you have your own. In the examples of the missionaries--I think that is why that happens. They fall in love with the spirit they carry and bring in their home, not realizing that as they grow--they will do that for someone else someday. In these cases, I do not think they are leaving out the Lord, rather sharing "who" brought them to him and what they did to do so. That is just my opinion from experience.

I will have to think a little more about the "GA" comments. I do agree that if they are coming to town there is a major sense of excitement, not normally shown. I think that is human nature but the thing is they (General Authorities) always put in to perspective that is is Christ they serve--they are just men. I wonder though, I bet there was excitement among the believers when they would learn the disciples were to visit them or prophets of old. I don't think they were trying to discredit Christ rather, they felt those men are so close to him and they can feel the spirit strongly around them.

10th Jun, 2008 - 2:15am / Post ID: #

That is excusable for new Members for sure, hopefully as everything else in Church they will get the picture and correct themselves into the true way, however not for someone who has been in the Church awhile. I can also understand that you may wish to mention someone that helped you, but that should be it - mention - not make the whole 3 to 4 minutes of your testimony about the person. Here is another way to look at it. Imagine you called before a court of law to give your eye witness account of Joseph Smith, Christ, the Book of Mormon, etc. Everyone, both friend and foe are listening and waiting... you start to speak, and out of your mouth comes information about 'x' person. Everyone becomes disenchanted, they were hoping to hear about what matters.

Concerning the GAs. I guess there can be a level of excitement in hearing someone new coming to your town to speak, however, I do not reach the point of thinking that what this man will say will somehow be more worthy or spiritual than what I can get from the scriptures or prayer, The speech used about these men, because they are just men, should in my opinion, never 'sound' more beautiful than what we can say about Christ or personal revelation or what we learned in the scriptures. If it is, we may want to catch the sign of not focusing on where the true light begins and fuels.

I know this may seem strange to some. I have been around the Brethren many times in certain choice experiences - they are just men, special men, but still men. I am disappointed when I hear Members set them above that of 'man', for only One has that prestige, for He rose above ALL men.

10th Jun, 2008 - 9:01am / Post ID: #

I feel the same way. It seems lately that many of the testimonies in our ward have become public "thank you's" or stories about new events in their family or how great some person (or sometimes even themselves) have been. Very little actual testifying.
I find it refreshing when a member actual bears witness of Christ and what his influence has done for their life. These are the testimonies that edify my spirit and help strengthen my own testimony.
I suppose there is nothing wrong with standing up there and saying, "I know this Church is true," but then why would I even attend if I did not believe that? Testimonies (like prayers) can become very rote, which is a sad thing. I appreciate those who speak from their heart.

My testimony is very sacred to me, I probably don't share it as much as I should, mostly because I am one of those who get up there and get overcome by the Spirit and end up crying my way through the whole thing.

My favorite recent testimony in our ward was a man who is inflicted with Parkinson's disease. He can no longer speak legibly, but he wrote down his testimony and had his wife read it for him over the pulpit, it included the story of his conversion and was a very moving and compelling testament of Christ and the Holy Ghost's influence.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
13th Jun, 2008 - 5:40am / Post ID: #

Mormon Testimony Meeting Actually Testimony

Alskann:

I find it refreshing when a member actual bears witness of Christ and what his influence has done for their life. These are the testimonies that edify my spirit and help strengthen my own testimony.

Me too and these testimonies are usually the most simple ones, the ones spoken from the heart.

13th Jun, 2008 - 6:56am / Post ID: #

Mormon Testimony Meeting Actually Testimony Mormon Doctrine Studies

QUOTE (JB @ 9-Jun 08, 6:15 PM)
Concerning the GAs. I guess there can be a level of excitement in hearing someone new coming to your town to speak, however, I do not reach the point of thinking that what this man will say will somehow be more worthy or spiritual than what I can get from the scriptures or prayer,

I guess I would have to disagree with you even though I know you are right--I am not there yet. I see them as definitely more spiritual than myself and feel I could learn many things from them, especially about Christ and the scriptures. On that note, I do not feel that only the GA carry that spirit. I have met mission presidents and temple presidencies that I feel the same about. I guess the best explanation is the light they carry...I do know they are men and they are human--don't get me wrong there. I just know they are a lot further on the path than I am at the time and I feel we can learn from their experiences. I know that they would never want someone to esteem them above regular men.

My dad taught me a long time ago that they are not celebrities. I wondered out loud to him one day why he didn't want to go and shake their hands. He told me that they are surrounded by people everywhere they go and he would just as soon give them their privacy. I still will go and meet someone but with a different respect and outlook. I remember going to a class all week last year at Education Week and talking to the instructor and asking him how his family was and to please thank them for the time he was here. I think it was a new thing for him, he seemed touched that someone cared about him as a husband/father versus this teacher who knew something that others didn't.

I believe with all my heart that we can and should get there ourselves when it is the proper time but I think the Lord has given us great examples in these men. That is just my opinion.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Mormon Testimony Meeting Not Actually A Testimony

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,