The Mistake Of Most Martial Arts Trainers - Page 2 of 3

That's all sparring or wrestling or - Page 2 - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 5th Jul, 2006 - 1:46am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 21st Mar, 2005 - 1:08pm / Post ID: #

The Mistake Of Most Martial Arts Trainers
A Friend

The Mistake Of Most Martial Arts Trainers - Page 2

Well everybody does mistakes, so does the trainers.
I already practice Shotokan-do-memo well you don't get fast just like that.
It was uncouscious that I become fast enough to defend myself. It just come with experience.

If you practice a long time, you will understand that when your partner makes a move, you make automatical the defense and the counter-attack.

That sometimes happens to me at school when a friend gives those punchs just to play and I react automatically by defending and grabbing his hand, then I decide to not go further to not hurt him.

Message Edited!
JB@Trinidad: Please take the time to use the spell checker before posting your message!

Sponsored Links:
21st Mar, 2005 - 1:14pm / Post ID: #

Trainers Arts Martial Of Mistake The

I agree that experience and instincts are key, but they are not the same as actual speed. To develop speed one must concentrate on being quick that means you have to develop mind and body since it is your brain that controls body movements. To be a good swimmer you must swim a lot - not jog a lot - the same with speed - to be fast you must concentrate on being quick - not do hundreds of katas over and over again. My point is that Trainers do not emphasize this... they talk so much about a 'style' that when the martial artist goes on the streets he ends up beaten up because the street style fighter is accustomed with what it means to be fast - no delay - no time for long thoughts - just reaction.

Post Date: 9th Jun, 2005 - 11:44am / Post ID: #

A Friend

The Mistake Of Most Martial Arts Trainers Sports & Fashion Music Movies

Speed is very important. But I believe timing is more important. If you are slower than your opponent but have better timing you can use a stop hit and disrupt his attack while getting in a shot yourself(depending on which type of stop hit you use) Think of the engagement as time. Every motion takes time. So fancy and / or complicated motions that consume time are useless. You have to be aware of how much time your actions take and administer them accodingly.

If you are slower you can also alter the rhythm of the engagement at times that are advantageous to you. (like when you perform a stop hit) Think of music and its beats. Whole beats, half beats, quarter beats, ect. If you break up the rhythm you can catch you opponent off guard or un prepared

9th Jun, 2005 - 11:57am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Trainers Arts Martial Of Mistake The

That is a very interesting perspective of which I wish to contemplate some more (it would be even nicer to test the theory, but that is a little more difficult), however it does make me wonder if in 'timing' you would still need the element of speed which also includes brain action, since if you are slower person you would have to of necessity be of quicker mind in order to 'time' a block or hit. Also with timing is the risk os assuming your opponents next move, since if he/she is using the same principle you will end up really off base.

Post Date: 9th Jun, 2005 - 12:25pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Trainers Arts Martial Of Mistake The

Now having spent the early part of my life as ruffian and an urchin I have found some things that work for me. Elbow suppresion or smothering an attack. It's my favorite tactic really. Both ideas are really the same thing.
I'm just beginning to understand the stop hit but I have been successful in deploying a rudimentary form of it. Also I have realised that the energy in a punch, kick, baseball bat, ect. is at the tip and if you move in close to the source of the attack(within reason, don't walk into a punch) the energy is wasted an you receive much less of it while earning yourself a good position for attacking while your opponent is committed to a motion.

As the topic is about mistakes trainers make. Tecniques are the fruit which you are given but they never seem to give you the root of the tecniques do they? In my humble opinion fighting is fairly artistic. you must use the proper stroke for the desired result.
If you know 10, 20 30, 100 tecniques taught to you by an instructor all you have are the end product and not the tools to create your own product.

9th Jun, 2005 - 4:32pm / Post ID: #

While I was attending school at BYU a few years ago, I attended a demonstration by the World Grand Master of Shotokai Karate. Shotokai has the same foundation as Shotokan, but has taken a very different path.

The Grand Master was a very old man, who had personally been taught by Shoto in Japan. He didn't move very fast, but when he moved, he was incredibly effective.

He had his two highest ranking students spar with him. Because of his mastery of timing, neither of these two young, extremely fast people could even get near him with a punch or kick. He never even blocked, just moved out of the way.

Later, I studied a little bit of the UFAF style (Chuck Norris' style). My teacher there did put a good bit of emphasis on timing in sparring, to prepare people for tournament fighting. It was very interesting to see how incredibly effective timing was, how simple it is to block or redirect any type of blow if you have the timing right.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 22nd Jun, 2006 - 3:59pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

The Mistake Of Martial Arts Trainers - Page 2

Mistakes many TMA trainers make is not allowing their students to fight full contact because the techinques are "too deadly" and "can't be used" which is patent balderdash.

We have chi sao, but I'm not convinced if I'm being mugged the first thing that will spring to mind is "darn, if only I'd done more chi sao."

Students should gear up (which I know isn't exactly reality training, but no one wants go home with their faces smashed to pulp and their ribs broken) and go for it - its the only way they will ever gain confidence in what they're doing.

If they go pieces, can't perform their techniques, then its time to look at their basics...that's where good trainers can recognise the issue. Bad ones will just let someone get their head kicked in every week for the entertainment of the class.

This is where many fall down I think - teaching martial arts is a business, and to maintain the business, the clients have to stay interested. As such the temptation is to progress people faster to the next belt or the next grade so they they believe they are getting somewhere. Of course, if the basics aren't sound, then they're building on weak foundations, and this all comes out in the mill of full contact fighting.

It's a fine line to tread to be honest, and the truth is that 99.9% of students will leave, no matter how good...or bad...you happen to be. If they didn't, the world would be full of black belts.

However, it's also true to say that just because you are qualified to teach (ie have reached the required grade in your organisation) it doesn't mean that you ARE qualified to teach. It takes time, practice and experience. I believe the best way is to get senior students started as soon as you think they're ready...get them taking small groups of beginners through the basics, check and supervise them, of course...but in this way they are gaining confidence too.

So - no full contact and lack of attention to the basics would be my two "nominations."

Cheers

L

5th Jul, 2006 - 1:46am / Post ID: #

The Mistake Of Martial Arts Trainers Movies Music Fashion & Sports - Page 2

That's all sparring or wrestling or fighting is about. Skill, timing, and knowledge of moves. You could be the fastest fight and have no timing or skill and would lose easily likewise if you were the strongest fighter. you could be the best at ninjitsu and have very bad timing and you would lose to some one who knows the counter moves and times them right. For each move is the exact opposite that would over power the other.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: The Mistake Of Most Martial Arts Trainers

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,