Too Personal - Page 2 of 3

DianeC: QUOTE It didn't get much better - Page 2 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 7th Feb, 2008 - 11:35pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
14th Feb, 2005 - 5:25pm / Post ID: #

Too Personal - Page 2

Now I know I am not supposed to use it here but can I type it? It is the "s" word...
Sarcasm
I generally will send a subtle but poignant sarcastic remark to the person if they are getting into too person of questioning. This really does seem to do the trick.

As far as what they have asked me... I would have to say it was not really a direct question. However, I have had people I met through friends on the first meeting try to get me to immediately invite them over to our house. This is definitely a NO-NO until I have had a mini-conference with the Mrs. So, I have to cleverly sidestep the topic.

That's my way,

Vincenzo

Sponsored Links:
14th Feb, 2005 - 11:49pm / Post ID: #

Personal Too

I tend to be very open. So, generally I will answer most questions when they are asked. However, if it is a stranger or someone I have only very recently met, I might hesitate a bit. My close friends, I will tell them most anything, if they want to know.

Reconcile Edited: funbikerchick on 14th Feb, 2005 - 11:50pm

5th Jul, 2006 - 9:40pm / Post ID: #

Too Personal Health & Special Psychology

Several things that being asked by a stranger would be---

1. Are you going to have any more children

I'd like to answer -- none of your business!

2. How much is your house worth?
Answer as above!

3. People tend to just come up to my husband and ask him how much he paid for his Frenzy sea kayak, when they see him with it.
I'd like to answer.. I don't ask you how much your suit cost, so don't ask me how much this cost.

Of course I'm way too soft, so normally answer with what they want to know, but really, sometimes people should just think first before they ask personal questions, especially when there is no background history between you!

6th Jul, 2006 - 1:30am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Personal Too

I was recently standing in a line where the buyer was asking the store owner (seems like they knew each other) if he could get something now and pay only half now and the rest later. The owner tried his best to avoid the question, but because the buyer insisted he had to abruptly tell him he could not do that.

For one thing the buyer was out of place to stand in a line and announce such a request and have an owner of a store give in to such a request. To ask for credit challenges a person personally because you are making the assumption they can give you credit (it is like saying "Are you cheap or giving?"). On another level you are challenging the relationship - like asking "Are we really friends?" Too much on the spot in my opinion.

6th Jul, 2006 - 2:19pm / Post ID: #

Personal Too

The most personal thing I believe I've been asked by a friend of a friend-type person was "I'm sure you know that Mandy's husband is cheating on her too.. Can you believe that it's all about the sex?" I think my jaw dropped or I stuttered. I don't honestly remember how I answered.

5th Feb, 2008 - 2:57am / Post ID: #

Too Personal

Yes that's the story of my life. People are always trying to delve into my personal affairs all the time. And now that I am married, the cross examination has grown worse.

I can think of two instances when I was asked very personal questions while I was married.

In the first instance, my spouse and I were at a friend's party and he introduced us to this seemingly quiet, elegantly dressed woman. She smiled faintly at us, so I thought she was nervous and foolishly, I tried to strike up a conversation with her. My husband saw an old friend of his and I urged him to go and say Hello, while I remained with this mysterious lady. BIG MISTAKE! As soon as my husband walked across the room to meet his old friend, the lady mouthed something to me. I could not hear her very well because of the music, so I pointed to my ears, indicating to her that I could not hear what she said. That's when the situation became very creepy. She leaned over until she was close to my left ear and whispered, "Are those real?" I was startled by the question and my response was "Excuse me?" Yep that killed the conversation immediately!

In the second instance, my husband and I were married for about three months and many of his friends kept teasing us about children. We did not mind. However, I distinctly remember one person boldly approached us and asked us, why we did not have any children. I was furious by the way he spoke, he was very loud and the sound of his voice irritated me. My spouse was embarrassed and at that point, I beckoned to the uncouth guy. When he was close enough, I hoarsely whispered, "Because God told me not to!" The look on his face was priceless!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
7th Feb, 2008 - 10:27pm / Post ID: #

Too Personal - Page 2

QUOTE (Geenie @ 4-Feb 08, 9:57 PM)
When he was close enough, I hoarsely whispered, "Because God told me not to!" The look on his face was priceless!

Excellent! Wish I'd thought of that!

It makes you wonder what people think gives them the right to ask personal questions like that, it drove me mad after I got married people mithering us about when we were going to start a family!

It didn't get much better when I'd had a baby either, as they just ask you when you're going to have another!

I don't think people give enough thought to the fact that A) not everybody wants to start a family and cool.gif not everybody who wants a family can conceive,
consequently by asking questions like this to people you could actually be causing a lot of hurt and upset....and basically it isn't anybody elses business anyway!

7th Feb, 2008 - 11:35pm / Post ID: #

Too Personal Psychology Special & Health - Page 2

DianeC:

It didn't get much better when I'd had a baby either, as they just ask you when you're going to have another!

Well, after my third one is born I don't think anyone would ask when I am going to have another, they are quite surprised already and making comments about "being pregnant, again?" I usually hit them by saying I love kids and they are quick to say they love kids too but they cannot see themselves handle it...and there is when I reply "Yes, I know you can't". laugh.gif

Their look on their faces is priceless.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Too Personal

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,