Nativity Scenes - Page 2 of 3

We seem to be slow in getting our Nativity - Page 2 - Christmas - Posted: 14th Dec, 2007 - 4:24am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Any in your home?
15th Dec, 2004 - 9:57pm / Post ID: #

Nativity Scenes - Page 2

Our local congregation closes down the church for a week or so in December, and puts hundreds and hundreds of creches in display. We (my wife and I) find this very uncomfortable.

Nighthawk, what about this practice makes you and your wife uncomfortable? My ward is considering doing this next year...the ward mission leader specifically thought to do it. We didn't have time to make the arrangements this year.

One year we had a ward Christmas party where many people brought their nativity scenes in and put them on display. I thought it was a wonderful thing, but if it is offensive to some, I would like to understand why so as to be more sensitive to this issue.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 15th Dec, 2004 - 11:00pm

Sponsored Links:
16th Dec, 2004 - 12:41am / Post ID: #

Scenes Nativity

It almost feels like idolatry. It is a very Catholic thing. Creches are really just icons, set up at Christmas time.

I don't like it that they close down the Church over a weekend for it. I don't like it that it is always on the weekend when the big Christmas devotional is broadcast, so we can't go to our chapel and watch it. I don't like it that since this is a "publicity" thing, they won't (the organizers, the publicity people) even allow a table of materials to be put up so that people can pick up copies of the Book of Mormon or pass-along cards.

It is a chance to show off things. Yes, the things are about Jesus Christ, but they certainly don't teach anything about Him, nor do they in any way promote either the message of the Restoration nor of the basic principles of the Gospel. They don't teach repentance. So, it appears to me to be another example of us trying to make the world like us, instead of doing what we are supposed to be doing.

I could be wrong. But I really don't like this custom. I get a very bad feeling about it all every year.

7th Dec, 2006 - 2:50am / Post ID: #

Nativity Scenes Christmas

From all our traveling I have sold or given away many nice Nativities, but I promised myself to get one back as I feel this is the most important part of Christmas to remember and one should be in the home - even before any tree or lights are up.

7th Dec, 2006 - 11:05am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Scenes Nativity

I inherited a nativity scene when my mother in law passed away 10 years ago. For the past five, however, I haven't had a chance to display it because my husband and daughter have beat me to the decorating. We have so much decor that there is always some we can't display. This year, I got to it first. I was sure to set up the nativity scene. It's small but I love it because it's a great reminder about what we should be thinking about at Christmas time. I think I'll insist on setting it up each year from now on,

Reconcile Edited: Valla on 7th Dec, 2006 - 11:29am

7th Dec, 2006 - 2:03pm / Post ID: #

Scenes Nativity

Valla, that's wonderful. Sometimes we get caught in the rest of the decorations and tend to forget that the Nativity, representing the miraculous birth of Christ, is indeed the most important of all.

8th Dec, 2006 - 10:42pm / Post ID: #

Nativity Scenes

We've got a small nativity, that we keep in front of the window. My children have helped put the little animals and people into it, while we read a story about it.
I really enjoyed it, (and I think they did too) so we'll probably do this every year from now on. To me, it's the small things like this that bring the true message of Christmas home to you.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
27th Sep, 2007 - 9:33pm / Post ID: #

Nativity Scenes - Page 2

When my spouse and I were children, we were accustomed to seeing our parents decorate the living room with a large Christmas tree, so naturally, we adopted this tradition. But one year, my spouse and I were shopping for new decorations for the Christmas tree and we both looked at each other and simultaneously said, "why don't we have a Nativity scene instead?" So we tried it and felt very happy. We both feel that Christmas is too commercialized and people fail to keep "Christ" in Christmas. So now, we may either put up the Christmas tree and the Nativity scene or sometimes, just the Nativity scene alone.

14th Dec, 2007 - 4:24am / Post ID: #

Nativity Scenes Christmas - Page 2

We seem to be slow in getting our Nativity Scene up this year. I believe we will try to make something for FHE this weekend. Has anyone choosen to make the Nativity the central decoration this year?

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Nativity Scenes

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,