Christ's Comeliness? - Page 2 of 3

How come you sound so sure have you seen him - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 2nd Jun, 2010 - 11:27pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
17th Oct, 2006 - 3:24pm / Post ID: #

Christ's Comeliness? - Page 2

I think that whatever he looked like was not something people commented about wink.gif. There is no where in the Scriptures where people would make mention that he looked somehow "different" from any other Jewish man. Some of them when they heard him speaking, did say Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?.

It seems to me that his physical characteristics were normal of his days and country of birth.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 25th Feb, 2007 - 1:25pm / Post ID: #

Christ's Comeliness?
A Friend

Comeliness Christs

Excellent points, LDS_forever, excellent.

Now, I have to correct a myth that a previous poster introduced into the thread.

It's common in the Church to hear the story about some artist painting a picture of Christ which, when shown to the apostles, prompts the comment that it is the closest image to Christ's actual face that they have seen.

This story is false.

The painting in question is always the one we've seen a thousand times...it shows Christ from the chest up, wearing a white robe with a red outer-robe on top of it.

The artist who painted that picture is Del Parson. While attending college in Cedar City, UT, he was in the bishopric of my singles' ward. He gave a fireside where he said that the story is false, that none of the apostles said anything about the painting looking like Christ's actual face, etc...

In fact, I was amused to hear Brother Parson explain that he wanted to throw the finished painting into the fireplace because he was frustrated with his perceived inability to accurately portray the Master. Luckily, he said his wife convinced him to send it to the apostles anyway, after which they all requested a signed copy, and the rest is history.

I believe Jesus looked Semitic: between 5'2" and 5'8", olive-colored skin, brown hair, brown eyes. Of course, this is assuming Heavenly Father's chromosomes didn't alter the Semitic influence introduced by Mary's chromosomes. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Reconcile Edited: OneWhoServes on 25th Feb, 2007 - 1:29pm

Post Date: 19th Mar, 2007 - 4:57am / Post ID: #

Christ's Comeliness?
A Friend

Christ's Comeliness? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Christ's appearance was that of normal men of his time. Isaiah said it best that there is no comeliness that men should desire him. Charisma, Christ had. There were those that at the mere bidding forsook all and followed him.

As far as the "red robe" painting being close to his real appearance I have included the following from https://www.shields-research.org/Hoaxes/LDS...ban_Legends.htm

Painting shows true appearance of the Savior
popular internet message tells of LDS artist Del Parson who was commissioned by the Church to do a painting of the Savior. He submitted several drafts of the portrait to the General Authorities who returned it with suggestions on how to make it more "accurate." Finally, the picture was accepted as the closest possible approximation to the Savior's actual appearance. (The final picture is the familiar "red robe" portrait that has been used in many Church magazines, manuals, etc.) Some dramatic additions to the story tell of a girl who recognized in the portrait the man who had held her and protected her after her parents were killed in a car accident, or who comforted her when she was locked in a closet by abusive parents.

* According to Bro. Parson, the painting was indeed commissioned by the Church, but he worked with the curriculum department to create a painting suitable for their needs. There were several revisions in the process to develop a picture suitable for their needs; there was never an indication that the revisions were to make the portrait "more accurate." And there is no record of such a dramatic "recognition" by a little girl. "

Reconcile Message Edited...
by Farseer: added quote tags for clarification. Please check the Help and FAQs for instruction on how to use these and other formatting tools.

25th Sep, 2007 - 11:51pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Comeliness Christs

I find this thread interesting as I have read the different ideas of what Christ looked like. I tend to agree with what was stated on his physical characteristics but until now I never realized that those were not how I formed my thoughts of him regarding looks.

I asked my mom once if she thought a picture that we were looking at was a realistic painting of Christ? She told me that she FELT they were right and the reason why is that whenever there are children around they seem to KNOW that it is a representation of Christ and recognize him. I have found in working with children in various aspects that seems to be true.

Many people will follow someone just because they are charismatic and beautiful; Christ's message had to transcend that.

I also appreciated this quote from FarSeer, because I think that is the so true. It seems so contradictory of the Lords ways to seek attention in that regard. There had to be more than just a physical presence they cared about--more a spiritual connection that they FELT. Hope this makes sense! undecided.gif

27th Sep, 2007 - 4:54am / Post ID: #

Comeliness Christs

Here is a point to consider. Even if Jesus was 'average' looking when you are as popular as he was you tend to look 'handsome'. In other words, his perfected charisma would have overshadowed his comeliness to the point that no matter where he went he naturally looked good.

When I was a teenager I remembered a teenage girl once commenting that there were probably a lot of girls interested in Jesus as he was growing up. She based this on the typical pictures that show Jesus with light eyes, fair skin and flowing brown hair. Then I asked her, but how do you know what he looked like that girls would have been interested in him?

Post Date: 31st Mar, 2008 - 5:37pm / Post ID: #

Christ's Comeliness?
A Friend

Christ's Comeliness?

I really believe that His not being "comely" had to do with his physical appearance, of course, but more to do with his teachings. He spoke hard things. In order for him to have appeared "comely" to the Jews he would have had to say " you guys are sure doing a great job here! Just keep up with the letter of the law and never mind the spirit and you will surely all be exalted." The Jews were the only nation on earth that would kill their God, why? Because of their huge pride. This man spoke against their MOTIVES. Very uncomely to them. Also, I don't know how much this would be of value to anyone but myself, but I once had a vision of the Lord, while he was on the earth. It was very quick, but very powerful. I only saw his back. He was crouched down writing something I think. He was wearing what looked like a wool robe. It was long sleeved and very worn. He was a large man, very broad. I had a stong impression of his size, although I didn't see him stand, but I understood that he was taller than average and very manly, much like Joseph Smith, who I've also been incredibly blessed to see. More importantly, I was shown/allowed to feel a small portion of his love for me. A beautiful experience.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 2nd Jun, 2010 - 10:29pm / Post ID: #

Christ's Comeliness - Page 2

Name: HD

Comments: Del Parson was pretty close to the Savior with slight correction. But the commission statue of by late President Hinckley of the Savior is accurate to the 'T'. And yes, the Savior was over 6-feet tall, broad shoulder, and thicker build that is normally seen in some Catholic paintings.

2nd Jun, 2010 - 11:27pm / Post ID: #

Christ's Comeliness Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

How come you sound so sure have you seen him and which statue are you talking about do you have a link to it?

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Christ's Comeliness?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,