Traitors Amongst Us

Traitors Us - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 18th Jan, 2005 - 10:36pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
A Discussion on when a citizen is a traitor or just disagreeable
Post Date: 15th Jan, 2005 - 6:22pm / Post ID: #

Traitors Amongst Us

Can one stronly disagree with their government and not be considered a traitor?

A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero - (106-43 B.C.)
Roman Statesman, Philosopher and Orator Date: 42 B.C.
Source: Speech in the Roman Senate

Sponsored Links:
15th Jan, 2005 - 7:06pm / Post ID: #

Us Traitors

Yes, I personally think that disagreeing with one's government does not make a person a traitor.
The beauty of democracy is that when you disagree with something your government does, you can at least try to vote them out of office. Also, by making use of your freedom of speech, you can try to persuade others of your opinions.
Also, the definition of a traitor is "one who betrays one's country" (https://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=traitor). So if someone believes that his government is acting against the good of his country and he disagrees with those actions, he surely is not a traitor.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 21 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 2.1%

Post Date: 15th Jan, 2005 - 7:38pm / Post ID: #

Traitors Amongst Us
A Friend

Traitors Amongst Us History & Civil Business Politics

It is possible to disagree with the government and not be a traitor. It happens all the time. You could dislike this program or disagree with a certain law, or even think that what is going on in the halls of government is very, very wrong and needs to be changed. None of this makes one a traitor.

Taking action to change a government does not make one a traitor. On the other hand, aiding and abetting national enemies because you don't like the government does make you a traitor. Speaking out publicly against policies does not make you a traitor. Publicly deriding the country and it's leaders does, regardless of freedom of speech.

Offtopic but,
Have you ever noticed how individuals in the public spotlight may openly deride a country, but stay there and make their livelihood there despite how much they seem to hate it? Does that seem to be a contradiction?

15th Jan, 2005 - 8:48pm / Post ID: #

Us Traitors

I would agree that treachery is an act against the country (that is to say, your fellow countrymen). Patriotism, likewise, is defined as a love of one's fellow countrymen (NOT Government). Thus if you are patriotic you can never be a traitor.

Failure to resist government when it is itself treacherous toward the country (the people) may indeed mark you an accomplice. Resistance is of course lawful (as the people are the masters of government) when justified, but it may not always be legal; in this latter case we should be prayerful as to what the Lord requires of us, as He may require us to suffer these things at present - but it does not make those things right.

Dubhdara.

International Level: Junior Politician / Political Participation: 100 ActivistPoliticianJunior Politician 10%

18th Jan, 2005 - 8:32am / Post ID: #

Us Traitors

It depends on your form of government. If it is communists, then you are walking a mighty fine line. Communists governments do not permit much criticism. Single rulers may also not respond well to criticism. Democracy or Republics will allow it to the point of violence or compromising national security. That seems to be the general barrier...once crossed you can be held as a criminal or in treason.

Just a thought,

Vincenzo

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

18th Jan, 2005 - 6:56pm / Post ID: #

Traitors Amongst Us

Well, now that I think about it, there really are 2 types of "traitors":
Type A: Someone that acts for the good of the country, but against the government. For example, someone trying to overthrow a tyrannical regime. If the government were to catch him, they'd probably label him as a traitor.

Type B: Some that acts against both government and country. For example, helping a foreign nation wage war against his own country.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 21 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 2.1%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 18th Jan, 2005 - 7:16pm / Post ID: #

Traitors Amongst Us
A Friend

Traitors Us

As far as a Democratic government goes, then no, simply speaking in opposition to one's government is not an act of a traitor. The beauty of a democracy is having the ability to have your own opinion. Now, if somebody beging to put our government and/or our country in danger because of their opposition, then they have become a traitor to our country.

I, personally, believe that we should, in a Democracy, support our government whether we agree with them or not. There are a lot of people I went to school with who were opposed to the war, and wouldn't hesitate in saying so. But, they would also say that since Bush is our president, they support him because he is the head of our government. Supporting one's government officials does not necessarily mean having to agree with your government in all aspects of government.

As it was brought up, in a Communist country, speaking in opposition to what that country leader believes is usually considered a criminal act. I dare anybody to walk up to Castro and tell him that they don't like what he's doing. Three days later, I bet you that person will no longer be among the living.

18th Jan, 2005 - 10:36pm / Post ID: #

Traitors Us Politics Business Civil & History

To me, treason consists of working to the detriment of society. For example, a person who transmits state secrets to opposing governments.

Also, I believe that a military member, whether in uniform or not, who actively seeks to undermine the military efforts is a traitor. Also, any citizen who provides aid and comfort to the enemies of his or her country is a traitor. If such a person renounces his citizenship, and becomes a citizen of that foreign country, then supports their war efforts, that is a different matter, but that person should never expect to have a warm welcome in his original country.

Of course, this definition brings to mind two prominent "anti-war" activists of the Vietnam era, one of whom holds high office in the US (and tried to hold a higher office). This is, to my mind, a strong example of treason.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Traitors Amongst Us

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,