Slavery

Slavery - The Bible Revealed - Posted: 24th Jul, 2010 - 9:57pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 21st Jan, 2005 - 1:09pm / Post ID: #

Slavery

In the Bible, especially the Old Testament, there is quite a lot of verses dealing with slavery as a good thing and in many cases, even being acknowledged by God. By modern standards this is not considered 'a good thing'. How do you explain it?

Sponsored Links:
21st Jan, 2005 - 9:26pm / Post ID: #

Slavery

I think times change. With it certain other changes come about. It was definately a very different world in Old Testament times for example. Also, I think a slave held by someone like Abraham wasn't a slave in the same sense as in the US South in the 1700's or as in Rome in the first century. I think it was more you worked for this person, you pledged total loyalty and they provided for you, but I don't think the treatment was as it was in the South. I think these slaves were treated as human, at least. Not so for Rome and Greece in the first couple of centuries.

Now, also, I think in the New Testament the teaching was more, if this is your lot in life, make the best of it, more so than that it is a good thing. In the Old Testament, I think it was really, just an accepted way to live, not necessarily what was considered a good thing. This is just my opinion, based on my general knowledge from what I can remember of the subject as I have read the scriptures. I am certainly not learned in the area.

Post Date: 22nd Jan, 2005 - 12:30pm / Post ID: #

Slavery
A Friend

Slavery Revealed Bible The

You are correct in your assumption that slavery was not the same. In most cases, slavery of the day was to pay a debt or to earn part of the masters estate. Many times, the master would have the slave work for a specified period of time, then release him with part of his estate be it livestock and or gold. Slaves of the day where also treated as part of the household. They ate from the masters table and benefited from their masters holdings that they helped enrich. Modern slavery institutes are horrible situations in which people are forced into labor against their will. While evidence suggests biblical era slaves had little choice in the matter, slaves often had better treatment (except of course israel to egypt). One story in the bible tells us about joseph being a slave to pharaoh but being able to work his way up into pharaohs good graces. Modern slavery never allows for that.

PS-I learned this in college, but unfortunately have no links to support my post or that I could suggest for you to learn more about it. If anyone has any good links, I'd love to use the too!

Reconcile Edited: konquererz on 22nd Jan, 2005 - 12:32pm

12th Jun, 2010 - 6:38am / Post ID: #

Slavery

I think this shows to me another strong possibility that the bible was in fact made by man. I think it was inspired by God but the fact is, in my mind, it was written by men. I think this also points to spiritual evolution and how as people became more godlike they were able to understand that slavery was not good.

As far as slavery being different than it is today. While I see some evidence supporting this. There is also a lot of evidence to support that it may have actually been worse than the slavery in the south. From the history I remember slaves were often used as live human sacrifices.

Post Date: 24th Jul, 2010 - 9:57pm / Post ID: #

Slavery

Name: Huh

Comments: I know slavery was traditional then but since god knew a better way why did he allow his own followers to do it?

> TOPIC: Slavery

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,