Forgiveness

Forgiveness - The Bible Revealed - Posted: 22nd Jan, 2005 - 5:57am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 21st Jan, 2005 - 1:15pm / Post ID: #

Forgiveness

Jesus Christ said we need to forgive all men, do you think this extends to even forgiving the Devil himself? Should this be applied to men like Adolph Hitler? A rapist? A murderer?

Sponsored Links:
21st Jan, 2005 - 5:19pm / Post ID: #

Forgiveness

I believe it extends definately to all humankind. That would even include Hitler, a rapist or a murderer. It isn't our place to judge. That is for our Father in Heaven to do. We don't have the entire picture the way he does. Now, even if with the entire picture they are to be condemned by God, it still is in our best interest to forgive. It isn't just that it is a commandment, but that it helps us heal as well.

When we harbor ill feelings toward another, we cannot truly heal and be completely whole emotionally ourselves. Forgiveness isn't always as easy as just saying, "I forgive." It can sometimes take months or years to work through the situation or for enough time to pass that the hurt isn't as on the surface to allow us to heal. However, it is definately essential...in my opinion.

21st Jan, 2005 - 6:11pm / Post ID: #

Forgiveness Revealed Bible The

The way I once heard this issue addressed is:
"If you can't accept that the Lord can forgive someone like Hitler, after repentance, then perhaps you, yourself, are unready to receive forgiveness."

21st Jan, 2005 - 9:07pm / Post ID: #

Forgiveness

I agree with the opinions so far, but I do have a question: Do you all think that forgiveness is stricly attached to having a normal relationship with the same person that hurt us or not?. Think about someone for instance that killed your brother or your son, in order to forgive that person, do you need to have a relationship with that person?. What about if the offender is a loved one and have been done something really bad to us? Is forgiving attached to "forget everything" and started over?.

21st Jan, 2005 - 9:30pm / Post ID: #

Forgiveness

I think you can forgive someone and not continue to have a relationship with them. I don't think forgiveness means opening yourself up for further hurt or abuse. To me, forgiveness means not having any ill will towards them and not feeling like you want revenge any longer. It doesn't mean accepting their behavior and continuing your relationship with them as though nothing happened. That may be how the Savior treats us when he forgives us, but I am not convinced that means that is how I need to treat everyone that I forgive.

I think we need to forgive everyone, but I don't think we need to socialize or fraternize with everyone.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 21st Jan, 2005 - 9:30pm

21st Jan, 2005 - 9:42pm / Post ID: #

Forgiveness

I agree with you Tena, because I think in some instances we can forgive and start over with a relationship with that person but there are other situations (the very serious one) that you cannot do it...although I have seen cases like that and wonder how they could do it.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 22nd Jan, 2005 - 2:45am / Post ID: #

Forgiveness
A Friend

Forgiveness

QUOTE (Neo @ 21-Jan 05, 8:15 AM)
Jesus Christ said we need to forgive all men, do you think this extends to even forgiving the Devil himself?

Does the devil even qualify for this verse? By men, doesn't the verse necessarily apply to humankind? In reality, most people have the hardest time forgiving other people. I would think it would still apply to the people you hate the most including historically hated people like hitler.

22nd Jan, 2005 - 5:57am / Post ID: #

Forgiveness The Bible Revealed

Forgiveness does not necessarily condone the hurtful acts of another person; it is simply a release - an acknowledgement of the sin, coupled with a choice to sincerely desire the best for the offender, regardless of his or her indiscretion. To desire the best interest of another person does not necessarily require keeping contact with him or her, or feeling obligated to continue a past relationship.

For example, if you found your regular babysitter in a federal registry of convicted sex offenders, you may be able to forgive his or her crimes against society, but you would never leave your children alone with that person again. Some habitual abusers are the same way in romantic relationships - they straighten out for a while, ask sincerely for forgiveness, then soon regress into their destructive behavior. Although the abused spouse may frankly forgive the transgressions of his or her partner, staying in that situation may not be the right choice.

The forgiveness we give is for our benefit; the people we forgive seldom know that we have taken offense. Forgiving is a process of softening the forgiver's heart, not of diminishing his or her common sense.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Forgiveness

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,