Did We All Blow It In The Pre Existence? - Page 2 of 4

One of the way's I look at this is - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 28th May, 2005 - 3:36am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Post Date: 14th Feb, 2005 - 5:54pm / Post ID: #

Did We All Blow It In The Pre Existence?
A Friend

Did We All Blow It In The Pre Existence? - Page 2

I guess this is the point I want to make: All of us started out with an equal chance to progress and reach exaltation. Supposedly, we have gone through eons of testing before coming here. Many already failed their test. About 1/3 of God's children made choices that disqualified them from greater things. Fortunately, none of us were among that group. The remaining 2/3 came or will come to Earth. Many of the 2/3 already passed the test before coming here. They only came to attain a body and returned to God. The fact that we have reached adulthood means we must not have been part of that select group.

So, although we made choices that still give us a chance for exaltation unlike the one third who were lost, we apparently were not among those that did enough to ensure our exaltation. Unless I am wrong, all those who die prior to reaching eight had their calling and election made sure in the pre-existence and passed the tests we are now taking.

So the way I am seeing this is although we were obedient and wanted to follow Christ, we stumbled in some areas that some of our spiritual sibblings excelled at. The only other possibility is that some of these spirits who did excell, who did not need further testing were sent here anyway to fulfill certain callings and some of us may be in that group. That would explain why we've always heard our generation was saved for these last days to perform an important work.

Sponsored Links:
14th Feb, 2005 - 7:17pm / Post ID: #

Existence Pre The It Blow We Did

From President James E. Faust in General Conference, April 2003

I believe and accept the comforting statement of Elder Orson F. Whitney:

"The Prophet Joseph Smith declared-and he never taught more comforting doctrine-that the eternal sealings of faithful parents and the divine promises made to them for valiant service in the Cause of Truth, would save not only themselves, but likewise their posterity. Though some of the sheep may wander, the eye of the Shepherd is upon them, and sooner or later they will feel the tentacles of Divine Providence reaching out after them and drawing them back to the fold. Either in this life or the life to come, they will return. They will have to pay their debt to justice; they will suffer for their sins; and may tread a thorny path; but if it leads them at last, like the penitent Prodigal, to a loving and forgiving father's heart and home, the painful experience will not have been in vain. Pray for your careless and disobedient children; hold on to them with your faith. Hope on, trust on, till you see the salvation of God."8

A principle in this statement that is often overlooked is that they must fully repent and 'suffer for their sins" and "pay their debt to justice." I recognize that now is the time 'to prepare to meet God."9 If the repentance of the wayward children does not happen in this life, is it still possible for the cords of the sealing to be strong enough for them yet to work out their repentance? In the Doctrine and Covenants we are told, "The dead who repent will be redeemed, through obedience to the ordinances of the house of God,

"And after they have paid the penalty of their transgressions, and are washed clean, shall receive a reward according to their works, for they are heirs of salvation."10

We remember that the prodigal son wasted his inheritance, and when it was all gone he came back to his father's house. There he was welcomed back into the family, but his inheritance was spent.11 Mercy will not rob justice, and the sealing power of faithful parents will only claim wayward children upon the condition of their repentance and Christ's Atonement. Repentant wayward children will enjoy salvation and all the blessings that go with it, but exaltation is much more. It must be fully earned. The question as to who will be exalted must be left to the Lord in His mercy.
https://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5...-353-22,00.html

For us to speculate that we all messed up in the premortal world is not a logical reason for our current placement on the earth in the gospel plan. What about the man Christ healed who was blind from birth? The Savior said that neither that man nor his parents had sinned to bring him to that state, but that the situation existed that the works of God might be made manifest in him. The same applies to us. We each have inherent strengths and weaknesses, and we are not in some type of bizarre competition with seven-year-olds, prophets, and people too crazy or handicapped to be considered accountable. We are sent to our individual positions to become what the Lord knows is our best potential, and we have the choice to accept it or to throw it away. God will force no man to heaven.

Post Date: 14th Feb, 2005 - 7:37pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Did We All Blow It In The Pre Existence? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Thanks for the quote Howe. I think that is the reference I was speaking of earlier when I mentioned those born in the covenant, or later sealed have promises made to them even if they rebel in this life.

Post Date: 22nd Mar, 2005 - 3:38pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 2 Existence Pre The It Blow We Did

I always was taught that those who die before the age of accountability were special, for one of two reasons: 1) They had proven themselves worthy of exaltation in the Great War in heaven. 2) Some of them took part in throwing Satan and his followers out of heaven.

Even then it is up to the individual if they want to stay on earth or not. I heard a story about a mentally challenged individual who wanted a patriachtical blessing. The Bishop told him it wasn't necessary but he insisted on having one. So when it came time to give him his blessing the patriach put his hands on his head and then stopped. He went and called Salt Lake to confirm what he had recieved. The individual had partaken of kicking Satan out and that the reason he was mentally challenged is to keep Satan from getting his hands on him.

Post Date: 22nd Mar, 2005 - 6:01pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Existence Pre The It Blow We Did

QUOTE (Weisenberger @ 22-Mar 05, 3:38 PM)
I heard a story about a mentally challenged individual who wanted a patriachtical blessing. The Bishop told him it wasn't necessary but he insisted on having one. So when it came time to give him his blessing the patriach put his hands on his head and then stopped. He went and called Salt Lake to confirm what he had recieved. The individual had partaken of kicking Satan out and that the reason he was mentally challenged is to keep Satan from getting his hands on him.

We had a Stake High Councilman tell us that story one week at Sac meeting. Some time later, it was announced that the story was bogus, one of those faith promoting rumors that was not based on fact.

Post Date: 22nd Mar, 2005 - 7:29pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I see thanks for the correction gaucho. I love it when we all help each other to understand the gospel better.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 19th May, 2005 - 6:14pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Did We Blow It The Pre Existence - Page 2

This entire discussion is based on ideas of valiance or worthiness in the "estate prior to earth life"' While I find all those statements complimentary, and I would like to believe my existence on earth in these "last days" is due to my extraordinary behavior in the "preexistence" I believe all that talk is mere conjecture, even by church leaders. I certainly would not jump to any assumptions or even conjecture further. No living man I know of at any time in earth's history remembers anything about the preexistence. Revelation that would reveal such detail is nowhere to be found. Additionally, every generation of believers since the time of Peter believed they lived in the last days.

It seems we are by nature always seeking for knowledge of the unknown, but ultimately, humanity whether short lived or otherwise is in God's hands. For me - for whatever reason, I am glad I'm here struggling to live a Christ like life.

28th May, 2005 - 3:36am / Post ID: #

Did We Blow It The Pre Existence Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

One of the way's I look at this is as such: There is a great need in these latter days for us to do work for the dead to redeem our ancestors and those that have passed before us without hearing the gospel. We are the only one's that can do this for the dead. Non-members do not believe in this doctrine. Having said this I believe we are all among the rightheous few our Heavenly Father has saved for this day and age. Without us, who would there be to do temple work? Temples dot the earth now. Perhaps we were all extremely worthy in the pre-existence and were given the choice to live in mortality or be taken home before we reach the age of accountability. Some of us chose one way and some of us chose to come here and help redeem (if you will - through temple work and missionary work) those other brothers and sisters who would not hear the gospel. Just a thought.

Message Edited!
JB@Trinidad: It is not necessary to introduce yourself in each thread, your intro is sufficient for that. Please also take the time to use the spell checker before you post.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Did We All Blow It In The Pre Existence?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,