Names Of God

Names God - The Bible Revealed - Posted: 12th Jul, 2010 - 1:04am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 27th Feb, 2005 - 5:04pm / Post ID: #

Names Of God

Does God have one true name or He simply known by many names? How do you refer to Him?

Exodus 6:3
3. And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 28th Feb, 2005 - 1:25am / Post ID: #

Names Of God
A Friend

God Names

Jehovah is a mistranslation. His name was not said allowed or written on paper fully. YHWH where the four letters used as his name in the Hebrew texts of the law. Jehovah was a mistranslation of the word which is best known as Yahweh. So I suppose the name Christians and Jews aspire to God would be Yahweh. The muslims call God Allah. The Zoroastrians call him Ahura Mazda. So I guess the name of God would be dependant on the religion you are speaking of. But, in the Bible, the first name for God is Yahweh, if you consider Jesus God, then that is his second name.

2nd Jun, 2006 - 12:45am / Post ID: #

Names Of God Revealed Bible The

Just for fun I pulled down my copy of the Torah to see what was in Exodus 6:3 It led me to an interesting note. From the Torah;

YHVH This is the tetragrammaton which may not be pronounced under any circumstances.  If this section is read outloud, this name should be read as "Lord."

2nd Jun, 2006 - 5:33pm / Post ID: #

God Names

My understanding and belief is thus:

Jehovah refers to the Son who was born as Jesus Christ

Eloheim refers to the Father

2nd Jun, 2006 - 6:37pm / Post ID: #

God Names

Eloheim refers to the Father 

I'm not familiar with that name. What religion does it come from?

Post Date: 2nd Jun, 2006 - 7:59pm / Post ID: #

Names Of God

According to wikipedia: Elohim (אֱלוֹהִים , אלהים) is a Hebrew word which expresses concepts of divinity. It is apparently related to the Hebrew word ēl, though morphologically it consists of the Hebrew word Eloah (אלוה) with a plural suffix. Elohim is the third word in the Hebrew text of Genesis and occurs frequently throughout the Hebrew Bible. Its exact significance is often disputed.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
2nd Jun, 2006 - 11:15pm / Post ID: #

Names God

One of the very first names used for God in the Old Testament is El Shaddai which is commonly translated as "God Almighty". This is very commonly used by Jews, as it is an indirect name for Him.

The first, and foremost name for God in the Old Testament is Elohim. It is used 35 times in the first two chapters of Genesis, in the creation story (Genesis 1:1 through Genesis 2:4)

Another name commonly used for God by the Jews, that comes from the Old Testament, is Adonai which is commonly translated as "My Lord" (with a capital 'L').

I have heard that Elohim is actually a plural form of the word in Hebrew that translates to English as God - El. (Pronounced like "ale").

There is another form of the word "Elohim", which is spelled "Eloheim". I have reason to believe that "Eloheim" actually means "council of Gods". But that is my own opinion.

12th Jul, 2010 - 1:04am / Post ID: #

Names God The Bible Revealed

Little known facts about God's name.

1.) God's name appears in the bible nearly seven thousand times in the form of the tetragrammaton
    2.) Many faithful men of old such as Moses, King Solomon, and the prophet Isaiah addressed God using his personal name.
    3.) The bible even encourages us to call on God's name, because those knowing God an using his name will be protected (Psalms 91:14)
    4.) The most widely accepted pronunciation of God's name in the English language is Jehovah, and it has been in common usage for centuries
    5.) The Jewish tradition of not pronouncing God's name arose out of a superstitious idea among the Jews that it was wrong to say the divine name out loud. Such an ideal is not scriptural, and so extreme has this tradition become that they even refuse to write the title God out fully I.e. G_d
Some of these facts are expanded upon in the latest issue of the Watchtower magazine, which asks the question.
international QUOTE
DO YOU KNOW GOD BY NAME?

Reconcile Edited: David27072 on 12th Jul, 2010 - 1:05am

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Names Of God

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,