Can Man See God? - Page 2 of 2

Name: Scott Comments: I think that we see - Page 2 - The Bible Revealed - Posted: 31st Dec, 2009 - 2:48pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
2nd Jun, 2006 - 8:05pm / Post ID: #

Can Man See God? - Page 2

QUOTE (Mousetrails)
Is there a place in the Bible that clearly tells us how to tell real angels from false angels?

Not off hand, but in any case that will be going off topic, you can start a new Thread asking that question.

Why do you think Stephen could see the Son of man when a mob couldn't?

God is all powerful and it takes spiritual eyes to see Him. Not exactly related, but as an explanation take a look at the Thread: 'Children See Ghosts', which identifies why the other side is more apparent to them. Then consider how Jesus always emphasized that we should become as a little child. The pure of heart, the child can see God.

Sponsored Links:
2nd Jun, 2006 - 11:04pm / Post ID: #

God Man Can

QUOTE (mousetrails @ 2-Jun 06, 2:31 PM)
Why do you think Stephen could see the Son of man when a mob couldn't? If they could have seen what he saw would they have stoned him? Wouldn't they have stood in awe? Why, if God was so close he could be seen, did he not protect Stephen?

Because the mob would not have cared. They had already turned away from God. Also, what indication do you have that Stephen needed to be protected? Your assumption seems to be that since Stephen died, that God somehow failed him. Is this your assertion?

As for people seeing God, only those who are worthy can see Him. The mob wasn't worthy, Stephen was. John, in Revelation, saw God. Paul saw God. So, your assertion that nobody can see God now, because nobody HAS seen him (and recorded it in the Bible) doesn't stand up. There were several instances in the New Testament of people seeing God. And, since the Romans unilaterally decreed that the Bible was finished, and almost all of modern christianity agrees, anyone who has seen God since that time is considered heretical. Thus it appears to me that a few of your assumptions upon which you build your argument are very weak.

Besides all of that, the common Catholic and Protestant doctrine of a Triune God means that all the people who saw Jesus Christ also saw God directly. Since He appeared many times through the New Testament, and all subsequent appearances reported of Him since the canon was decreed closed are considered heretical, that throws another doubt upon your assumptions.

3rd Jun, 2006 - 8:59pm / Post ID: #

Can Man See God? Revealed Bible The

I believe it is possible for man to see God, if man is sufficiently humble and righteous. Job sees God when he is in a repentant state.

I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes. Job 42:5, 6
In New Testament times, 500 or more people saw Him after His ascension.
After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep. 1 Corinthians 15:6

4th Jun, 2006 - 7:19am / Post ID: #

Page 2 God Man Can

First God gave Satan possession of Job's children and all he owned and Satan destroyed everything. But Job didn't bend. Once again the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came with them. (Job 2:1) And again God pointed out Job with pride, but this time God gave Satan possession of Job's body, just to prove a point. How bad did it get? When Job had boils, ...from the soles of his feet to the crown of his head his wife asked him, "Are you still holding to your innocence? Curse God and die."
Three of Job's friends came to see him. But when, at a distance, they lifted up their eyes and did not recognize him, they began to weep aloud; they tore their cloaks and threw dust upon their heads. (Job 2:12) They sat with him seven days and nights without saying a word, ...for they saw how great was his suffering. All the death, and all the suffering, to prove a point to Satan! What does all this say about the God of the Jews? This all knowing, all seeing, loving, caring, most powerful God, felt the need to prove something to Satan? Why would He care what Satan thought? If I had been Job at that point, I would have told God anything I thought he wanted to hear.

After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep. 1 Corinthians 15:6 

Many people saw Jesus, but Solomon was the last human to see God.

Post Date: 31st Dec, 2009 - 2:48pm / Post ID: #

God Man Can

Name: Scott

Comments: I think that we see God now, and more often than we think. That's because God has a body, a corpus, called the church. "You are the body of Christ," says 1 Cor 12:27, and we are this body "because we partake of the one loaf" (10:17). In the New Testament, when Paul uses the term body, he is usually referring to the church (though occasionally to the eucharistic bread), and never to the physical body of Jesus of Nazareth. This is because Paul knew the work of the author of Luke-Acts well, and knew that after his ascension, the "body" of God on earth is the church, empowered by the Spirit. We are extension of the incarnation into time, into history, placed here as the body of the second person of the Trinity. We are not the fulness of God (due to our sin and finitude), and so are not "the light of the world," but we are called to be "a light to the nations," a taste of the kingdom.

Source 1: 1st Corinthians 10-12
Source 2: Henri de Lubac, Corpus Mysticum

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Can Man See God?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,