Church Policies

Church Policies - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 3rd Mar, 2005 - 4:41pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
2nd Mar, 2005 - 3:55pm / Post ID: #

Church Policies

This topic is meant to ONLY discuss policies in general. I don't expect to get into a lot of depth, just questions and simple answers.

So here is my big question of the day -
Is it general church policy these days that sacrament meeting talks all deal with General Conference talks?

In our ward, every single talk now has to deal with a talk by a General Authority. They all seem to be coming from the most recent General Conference. I want to know if this is a local policy, or a general one.

Sponsored Links:
2nd Mar, 2005 - 4:11pm / Post ID: #

Policies Church

Except for the first and fourth Sunday in Priesthood and Relief Society I have not heard this being a policy. I do know that Sacrament meeting talks should be centered around Jesus Christ and the Basic Beliefs and Doctrines of the Church.

Post Date: 2nd Mar, 2005 - 5:28pm / Post ID: #

Church Policies
A Friend

Church Policies Studies Doctrine Mormon

Are the speakers given the assignment for a specific talk from general conference, or are they given a topic and then go to a general conference talk to get some info? We spoke in church a month ago and our assignments were not a specific talk, but we did go to conference talks to research our topic. I'm just wondering if maybe the speakers are making reference to a specific conference talk that they used in their research which may make it seem like that talk was their assignment. But in reality, it just happens that is where they found something to share.

Reconcile Edited: gaucho on 2nd Mar, 2005 - 5:31pm

2nd Mar, 2005 - 6:17pm / Post ID: #

Policies Church

I believe that is a local policy. The Bishopric chooses what they want for topics during Sacrament talks. It sounds like your Bishopric has decided to have Conference talks used. Maybe they feel the members aren't studying them enough on their own.

I recently gave a talk and the topic assigned was not from a Conference talk.

2nd Mar, 2005 - 9:59pm / Post ID: #

Policies Church

Is it general church policy these days that sacrament meeting talks all deal with General Conference talks?

Nighthawk, I never heard this being a "policy", what I think it may have happened is that your Stake leaders or ward leaders when giving assignments may also give suggestions of sources for the talks, but it does not mean they must come from those sources.

Many times I have been assigned a talk and a list of resources was listed, including general conferences talks but I was never approached to give a specific talk from a General Conference. I doubt very much that this is a new policy.

3rd Mar, 2005 - 1:12pm / Post ID: #

Church Policies

Thank you all. I thought it was probably a local thing. Our bishop continually shows a tremendous lack of respect for the members (IMO).

No, they assign a specific talk from General Conference. Basically, they want the people to focus on that talk, use it as the primary source, and possibly expand on it. Last week, my 14 year-old son was assigned a talk by President Monson from October Conference. So was another youth. The two adult speakers were assigned another specific talk.

What this indicates to me (with my skeptical, sarcastic, suspicious mind) is that our bishop is trying to convince us that ONLY the General Authorities are capable of doing the research and preparation necessary to give a good talk.

I am used to people being assigned a specific subject, such as prayer, preparedness, or priesthood authority. I find these talks that just reiterate a GC talk to be very boring. Especially when they have three or four different people doing the exact same talk.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
3rd Mar, 2005 - 3:20pm / Post ID: #

Church Policies

Maybe you should ask your Bishop why is he doing that. I do not see anything wrong in asking about it, I would definetly do that if I was in your situation. In my opinion it does not make any sense to have a brother on a Sunday repeating someone's else talk!. I understand they can use it as a source but it should not be ALL the talk about that same source, if not, you are just repeating like a parrot in my opinion.

3rd Mar, 2005 - 4:41pm / Post ID: #

Church Policies Mormon Doctrine Studies

What this indicates to me (with my skeptical, sarcastic, suspicious mind) is that our bishop is trying to convince us that ONLY the General Authorities are capable of doing the research and preparation necessary to give a good talk.

I don't know your Bishop, but your judgment of him seems a little harsh to me. I think you should definately do as LDS suggests and ask him why they are doing this. It could be as innocent as wanting to be sure members get the messages delivered in General Conference. Bishops are inspired as to the needs of their congregations. He may feel he has been inspired to assign such talks as a way to help ensure members get the messages from General Conference.

I think it is important for you to ask him why he is doing this because it obviously bothers you quite a bit. If it turns out he does think only the GA are qualified to give a talk in Church, it might help him to gently be reminded that he is not necessarily correct in his judgment and that, in fact, the GA's would not agree with him.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Church Policies

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,