Celestial Commandments

Celestial Commandments - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 16th Oct, 2007 - 7:22pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Do you live them?
Post Date: 26th Mar, 2005 - 2:28pm / Post ID: #

Celestial Commandments

Instructions: Consider the following and then decide if this is something you are already doing or if it is something you need to do. If it is something you need to do then consider again why you are not doing it.

1. Love God and worship Him
2. Exercise faith in Jesus Christ
3. Obey the Law of Chastity
4. Pay a full tithing
5. Be honest with others
6. Obey the Word of Wisdom
7. Keep the Sabbath Holy
8. Strengthen my family
9. Have daily prayer
10. Do missionary work
11. Teach the Gospel to others
12. Study the scriptures daily
13. Obey the Prophet
14. Endure to the End

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 6th Apr, 2006 - 4:33pm / Post ID: #

Celestial Commandments
A Friend

Commandments Celestial

Joseph, I went over the list and I think that if that if you say yes to #1 or #2 and No to the rest then #1 and #2 should also be No. If we contemplate it, if we exercise faith in Jesus Christ, but don't pay a full tithe or read the scriptures, like we should, or any of the other things then we really aren't exercising Faith in Christ and we don't truly love God. I know it may sound harsh but if we do love God then we will do as instructed in John 14:15 "If ye love me, keep my commandments.

6th Apr, 2006 - 8:20pm / Post ID: #

Celestial Commandments Studies Doctrine Mormon

I think I have to respectfully disagree, Weisenberger. I believe there are levels to these commandments as opposed to a pure black and white. I don't think it is fair for us to judge others for the level of commitment they are able to follow through at a given time.

I believe Heavenly Father understands that we may slip, but strive toward obedient faith.

Post Date: 6th Apr, 2006 - 9:01pm / Post ID: #

Celestial Commandments
A Friend

Commandments Celestial

I agree MissMolly Father in Heaven and Jesus Christ do understand that we have slips I'm talking about blantly no keeping the commandments. There has been no man on earth (save one) who kept all the commandments to the letter and spirit and that was JESUS CHRIST. The rest of us do slip. It's when you DON'T keep them that is what I was trying to explain. :smile:

7th Apr, 2006 - 3:52pm / Post ID: #

Commandments Celestial

Whew! I had hoped you wouldn't see my response as criticism. I agree with you completely then smile.gif

Post Date: 19th Apr, 2006 - 7:51pm / Post ID: #

Celestial Commandments
A Friend

Celestial Commandments

I saw the list, and I have been thinking about it many times. Since we all slip from time to time, why is it always said "keep the commandments" and not "try the best you can to keep the commandments". ?

We can't keep them anyway, not that I wouldn't try to, though. Does this make sense?

wink.gif

Message Edited!
Corrected spelling errors. Please use the spell checker.

Reconcile Edited: Nighthawk on 19th Apr, 2006 - 9:22pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 17th Aug, 2007 - 1:30am / Post ID: #

Celestial Commandments
A Friend

Celestial Commandments

I learned in a seminary class that keep, as in "keep the commandments" can also be translated as guard. This means that we are careful to be aware and seems more realistic than assuming perfection is what is expected.

16th Oct, 2007 - 7:22pm / Post ID: #

Celestial Commandments Mormon Doctrine Studies

Since we all slip from time to time, why is it always said "keep the commandments" and not "try the best you can to keep the commandments". ?

God places a goal in front of us that he want us to shoot for. That goal is complete obedience.
In His infinite wisdom he realizes that we need a definite target. We all "shoot" for that target with varying degrees of success.
If he said "Try your best to keep the commandments" then the target is obscure and moving. God gives us the target, and through the Atonement of Jesus we can draw closer to it.

> TOPIC: Celestial Commandments

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,