The More Generation

The Generation - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 1st Jun, 2006 - 1:35pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Bringing your children up in the way they should go...
Post Date: 28th Jun, 2005 - 8:13pm / Post ID: #

The More Generation

The More Generation

"We have all heard children, after they have opened many Christmas or birthday gifts, say, 'Isn't there more?' With all the challenges present in this 'more generation,' there remains divine counsel to teach our children 'to understand the doctrine of repentance, faith in Christ the Son of the living God, and of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost, . . . to pray, and to walk uprightly before the Lord, . . . [and to] observe the Sabbath day [and] keep it holy'

(D&C 68:25, 28-29).

"The meaning of more and less is not always crystal clear. There are times when less is in reality more and times when more can be less. For instance, less pursuit of materialism may enable more family togetherness. More indulgence of children may result in less understanding of life's important values."
-- H. David Burton, "More Holiness Give Me," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 99

Sponsored Links:
3rd Jul, 2005 - 3:48am / Post ID: #

Generation The

Isn't that profound. I find this inherent in most children today simply because service and work do not make up part of their daily activities. Everything is digitized, quick and fast. Kids these days know a lot of things, but not how they came to be that way, thus their decision making skills are less than constructive. The appetite to ask for something and not know how it is going to come is had by a child that does not know the true meaning of work, sacrifice, reward, etc. I believe establishing a trend of teaching the why, when, how and what can go a long way in the child gaining appreciation and quenching selfish desires. Of course I say 'child', but a lot of us adults need to get the message too.

Post Date: 14th Jul, 2005 - 1:31pm / Post ID: #

The More Generation Studies Doctrine Mormon

Beware of Overindulging Your Children

"Parents who have been successful in acquiring more often have a difficult time saying no to the demands of overindulged children. Their children run the risk of not learning important values like hard work, delayed gratification, honesty, and compassion. Affluent parents can and do raise well-adjusted, loving, and value-centered children, but the struggle to set limits, make do with less, and avoid the pitfalls of 'more, more, more' has never been more difficult. It is hard to say no to more when you can afford to say yes.

"Parents are rightfully anxious about the future. It is difficult to say no to more sports equipment, electronics, lessons, clothes, team participation, etcetera, when parents believe more will help children thrive in an increasingly competitive world. Young people seem to want more, partly because there is infinitely more to catch their eye. The American Academy of Pediatrics estimated that American children see more than 40,000 commercials a year.

"Fewer and fewer parents ask their children to do chores around the house because they think they are already overwhelmed by social and academic pressures. But children devoid of responsibilities risk never learning that every individual can be of
service and that life has meaning beyond their own happiness. . . .

"In discussing our various longings for more, I'm not suggesting we adopt Scrooge as a role model for good parenting. I am suggesting that it is important for families and individuals to aggressively seek more of the virtues which go beyond this mortal life. A prayerful, conservative approach is the key to successfully living in an affluent society and building the qualities that come from waiting, sharing, saving, working hard, and making do with what we have. May we be blessed with the desire and the ability to understand when more is really less and when more is better."
-- H. David Burton, "More Holiness Give Me," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 98, 100

Post Date: 22nd Aug, 2005 - 5:20pm / Post ID: #

The More Generation
A Friend

Generation The

This is an issue that we have had many issues with in our family. My husband comes from an LDS family, and has siblings that have chosen to follow the teachings and those that have chosen not to. We are frequently chastised by those that have strayed from the church for being "weird" or "not with it." I often tell them that I would rather my family be "weird" and happy, than "cool" and miserable as I have witnessed in their households. I do not believe that it is possible to overwork your child, nor do I think that children will be harmed by earning what they want as opposed to being given it all. I grew up in a household that had little material possessions and I am eternally grateful for the spiritual, emotional, and moral items that my father instilled in me that I carry with me to this day. I cannot honestly tell you where the few material possessions from my childhood have ended up. But, I can tell you that my father's financial situation has changed greatly since my childhood and I have witnessed what a difference this has made in the priorities of my younger siblings. They do not know the meaning of work, and they believe that everything they want is owed to them. They wouldn't even consider serving someone else, let alone sacrifice their own comforts to help another. I do not want to sound conceited, but I am often told how loving, giving, and kind I am. I contribute those characteristics to the "suffering" that I experienced as a child. I am so much more grateful for the things that I have acquired now that I know what it meant to live without them. I am so much more respectful of the hard work of others because I have been in their shoes. I hope that this shows in my actions toward other people.

Post Date: 1st Jun, 2006 - 1:35pm / Post ID: #

Generation The

"Are we likening all of our children's gospel experiences to the real needs in their lives? Are we teaching them about the gift of the Holy Ghost, repentance, the Atonement, the sacrament, and the blessing of sacrament meeting as they meet the challenges in their lives? There is not enough time in formal meetings to teach our children everything they need to know. Therefore, we must take advantage of everyday teaching moments.
-- Robert D. Hales, "With All the Feeling of a Tender Parent," Ensign, May 2004, 90

> TOPIC: The More Generation

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,