Overcoming Digressive Habits

Overcoming Digressive Habits - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 17th Mar, 2008 - 11:59pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 19th May, 2005 - 5:09pm / Post ID: #

Each day we make decisions, but sometimes those decisions are made with very little thought simply because they have become habitual. What do you do specifically to do away with a digressive habit?

"There are some decisions that we need make only once. Having made the decision, we no longer need to wonder how we will act in that particular situation in the future. Decisions develop habits or patterns. . . . It is important that you know, at your age and experience in life, how to establish patterns that lead to eternal happiness."
Ref. "Establishing Eternal Patterns," Ensign, Oct. 2004, 32

Sponsored Links:
22nd May, 2005 - 4:20pm / Post ID: #

Habits Digressive Overcoming

I am an expert on the consequences of making choices - wether they be good or bad. Really, we all are experts of the choices we make, but so few of us acknowledge that the choices we are making (the bad ones) are not good for us and the ones we are avoiding (the good ones) are what we should be integrating into our life. For me this is a constant struggle, but let's focus on the digressive habits since that is the main theme of this thread. I find that the first and foremost way to attack a digressive habit is to acknowledge that it is digressive in the first place. I then look at the ways it is affecting my life and the benefits from avoiding such a habit. Then I start - little by little to do away with it until it is gone. This does not have to be only about something major like drug use, in the past this (the way I overcome digressive habits) has been used for such things as time wasting, eating badly, not doing a duty as I should, etc.

22nd May, 2005 - 7:12pm / Post ID: #

Overcoming Digressive Habits Studies Doctrine Mormon

Well, based on recent experiences, I would say acknowleding this problem is the first step. Second, acepting that our own wisdom is not always the right one or correct one and that we need to trust in others, specially our husbands and wives. And third, when you are experience something really bad that is product of your choice, then I think you really open totally your eyes and know not to put your foot in that mud once again. Yes, is sad, but some of us are not as smart as others and need to put the foot deep into the mud to know that we do not have to do that again.

Post Date: 20th Jul, 2005 - 4:13am / Post ID: #

A Friend

People that suffer from addictive habits (smoking, drinking, drugs, etc.) are advised to stay away from places, people, and situations that will bring back memories of the habit. A man I know who did drugs told me that after the habit was broken the only time he felt the urge to do drugs again was when he walked passed a place where he used to do that.
I think that a change of scenery is very important in shaking off bad habits. After you've made the decision to overcome the problem, putting yourself in new situations will allow you to react in a new, better way than in time past.

Post Date: 17th Mar, 2008 - 11:59pm / Post ID: #

"Sometimes we make poor choices. . . . Unfortunately, some of our poor choices are irreversible, but many are not. Often we can change course and get back on the right track. Getting back on the right track may involve the principles of repentance. . . . Learning by experience has value, but the 'school of hard knocks' is deserving of its name. Progression comes faster and easier by learning from our parents, those who love us, and our teachers. We can also learn from the mistakes of others, observing the consequences of their wrong choices."
(James E. Faust, "Choices," Ensign, May 2004, 51-52)

> TOPIC: Overcoming Digressive Habits

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,