When Church Activities Is The Focus....

When Church Activities Focus - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 12th Jun, 2010 - 5:27pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

17th Oct, 2009 - 10:33pm / Post ID: #

One of my pet peeves are members who think the church is a social club and they have this desperate need to attend each and every activity and let me tell ya they're quick to judge you if you don't attend some. I just got a call from a member in the ward saying I should attend ward activities more often. I mean how in the world people have the extra time to be always concern with activities? You never heard them talking about VT or HT or helping someone in the ward who need it or go to do some service but food, food and food and fun activities, etc I mean sometimes I think I'm between teeny boppers. Between school and callings I don't have time to be attending all these fun activities its a turn off seeing the amount of people who show up and when a VT workshop is held hardly anyone is there you know. I always tell them, organize a service activity and I'll be there but they hardly organize one and when they do hardly anyone is there you know what am I saying?. I guess the scripture is right when it says "For where your treasure is there your heart will be also".

rolleyes.gif

Sponsored Links:
18th Oct, 2009 - 10:24pm / Post ID: #

Focus The Activities Church When

SuzieSu, I have felt the same way you are feeling...depending on what is going on in my life. In fact a couple of years ago, I was released from all callings, and VT, because I could not handle working, two new babies, and all those commitments. I didn't feel guilty at all, because, I felt at that time, that I needed to save my mental stability for the family, and myself....also I was dealing with some chronic pain issues.

But now the babies are a little older and I do crave those activities, I don't attend all of them, but do try to attend as many as I can (the ones that interest me) because I have found the socialilizing to be quite therapeutic and spiritually uplifting...which I can use right about now.

I think that we just go through times in our lives when activities are a good thing, and times when activities and callings are actually a burden. It's all good. Do your best.

Going to school and work, and callings....that is a lot! I have never noticed judging about not going to activities....but then again, I am preoccupied most of the time with rambunctious kids...I certainly would not judge someone for not going to the activities. If we could just all get along..

19th Oct, 2009 - 3:46am / Post ID: #

When Church Activities Is The Focus.... Studies Doctrine Mormon

Church socials are really cool. They help to bring everyone together to have fun. Sometimes there is service to give too and we just have kool-aid and sandwiches after. I think its all about how you view it and what your ward does at them. I'm in a good ward as you can see wink.gif.

19th Oct, 2009 - 4:54pm / Post ID: #

Josh I think you're missing the point. I aint against church activities at all just priorities. Why are fun activities a priorities over service oriented ones? Why are fun activities more attended than the ones where we're supposed to serve someone in need? I mean come on doesn't that talk volumes about the kind of interest of the ward you know what am I saying? Is there anything to celebrate really unless lack of interest and love is something to celebrate about?

Post Date: 23rd Oct, 2009 - 10:28pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

SuzieSu

international QUOTE
Why are fun activities a priorities over service oriented ones? Why are fun activities more attended than the ones where we're supposed to serve someone in need?

We live in a rural community. I would say maybe 60% of our community is LDS, while 40% are from another denomination or not affiliated with any church. In our community, when we have a fun activity with dinner and such, the whole community comes out. There is a lot of fun, there are great friendships made, missionary contacts, the whole community seems to come together. It brings us closer as a community and as people. We learn more of each other and what each other's needs are. However, I would not judge someone that did not want to participate. I am sorry that has happened to you, but maybe they just are having a lot of fun when gathered together and want you to feel welcome. I think the "fun" activities are attended more because usually dinner is offered. Everyone likes a free meal! Also, it seems that when the whole family is invited, instead of just the women, or just the youth, there seems to be a better turn out. It is sad that not as many people attend the service activities and visiting teaching workshops, but they are the ones missing out on those wonderful experiences. Maybe, reach out to those that are not attending those activities and let them know what they missed out on. Unfortunately, life does tend to get busy and we all need to work on our priorities and help others more, focus more on our spiritual side.

12th Jun, 2010 - 5:27pm / Post ID: #

SuzieSu I hear you sister but let me say that I think activities are important to get the ward together so people can get to know each other more. I agree they shouldn't replace service oriented activities, I think a healthy balance is necessary.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: When Church Activities Is The Focus....

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,