2006 Soccer World Championship

2006 Soccer World Championship - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 18th Mar, 2006 - 1:59pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (9) »
This Thread is not for the weak or those that think they know about Football. This Thread is not for wimps or students. This Thread is for the true hardcore World Cup 2006 fan that means business! Rant on...
Post Date: 28th May, 2005 - 4:36pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

2006 soccer world championship

Federation and states agree on soccer championship security

Stuttgart. The federal and state Interior Ministers have agreed to a national security strategy for the 2006 soccer world championship. Federal Minister of the Interior Schily stressed, there are no current indications of terrorist attacks, however strict security precautions will be in place. It is intended that among other things there already be identity checks of visitors who arrive by train and at the border, suspending time off for all police, and video surveillance in the stadiums and train stations. In addition, German police will be supported by foreign experts, who are very familiar with their own football fans.
Ref. https://www.germnews.de/dn

Sponsored Links:
1st Jun, 2005 - 9:48pm / Post ID: #

Championship World Soccer

I can see how this is no small issue for the Germans especially with the vigor of European fans and their past record of sometimes violent games. Something they will also have to look for in addition to the usual terrorist checks is people throwing things into the field.

Post Date: 31st Oct, 2005 - 12:07pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

2006 Soccer World Championship Sports & Fashion Music Movies

Yes, the 2006 World Cup could be quite an issue. However, we musn't let the matter of security move us away from enjoying the game.
Soccer isn't called the World Game for nothing! I don't believe that the World Cup will be a great terrorist target. This is because it is held in Germany and also the countries such as Iraq hold a respect for the game.
Football is an escape from all other worldly connections, all you have in the game is a team and a lot of skill. The oponent is not an enemy, quite the opposite, you have to hold great admiration towards the opposition, they are your equals.
The fans can however become more of a problem, as stated earlier in this thread, but what I am saying is; No matter how things are, we must enjoy the game and put all else aside. This is the World Cup!

1st Dec, 2005 - 10:25am / Post ID: #

US lobbies for WC seeding
Reuters

The United States should be chosen if FIFA selects a team from the CONCACAF region to be seeded in next week's draw for the World Cup finals, US coach Bruce Arena has said.

Arena told a symposium at the Biltmore Hotel in Los Angeles that "the United States has done what is necessary in the region to deserve it".

The US won the CONCACAF regional qualifying tournament for the first time in 71 years, edging Mexico into second place.

Costa Rica and Trinidad & Tobago also qualified for the Germany finals from the six-team final group.

The United States are eighth in FIFA's world rankings, one place behind Mexico.

Eight teams will be top-seeded in the draw for the finals that takes place in Leipzig on Friday, December 9.

FIFA will use their own formula to determine the seeds based on previous World Cup results, recent results and FIFA rankings.

Regarding his selections for Germany, Arena said: "We are considering 12 to 14 players based in Europe for our 23-player World Cup squad."

He also said four players who hardly played in 2005 are likely to be part of the squad: Eddie Johnson, John O'Brien, Claudio Reyna and Cory Gibbs.

"They weren't around much due to injuries, but those are four players that you would think are clearly going to be on our roster for Germany."

Arena added: "The only country in the world that I think can ever have high aspirations and say "we want to win the World Cup" is Brazil.

"Everybody else hopes they get a good draw, play well and get some breaks."

Arena was talking at a football symposium on Tuesday organised by Honda.

This is unwarranted arrogance by US coach Arena. The US is a top 20 side at best, the only reason they are in the top 10 illustrates the stupidity of a flawed ranking system. Who cares if they won Concacaf, most of Europe and South America would easily accomplish this task. Everyone knows this. Even Australia has more European based players, and better ones too.

To say only Brasil has high enough aspirations to want to win is not only an insult to world football powers, but shows a remarkable lack of knowledge about the game. What about Argentina, The Netherlands, England, Italy, Spain, Germany, France, Czech Republic and so on.

Arena's comments should ensure the US doesn't receive a seeding for the tournament. If they do it would be a political scandal of the worst order.

1st Dec, 2005 - 9:45pm / Post ID: #

I find Arena's comments very arrogant. I do not know if he is just playing around or he is really serious. Brazil the only country that can have high aspirations?. Give me a break!. I believe every team who qualified for the World Cup has the right to have high aspirations, why not?. It's the world cup after all!.

3rd Dec, 2005 - 9:49am / Post ID: #

What is distubing is that he probably actually believes the US should be seeded on merit, which is a joke. Mr Arena should do his homework on football history before he starts writing other nations off.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 18th Mar, 2006 - 10:50am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I happen to be stationed where the World Cup games will be held. ( Kaiserslautern , Germany) As much as I like to. I will not attend any games. It's just a matter of time before terrorist strike Germany. Kaiserslautern , Germany has the highest population of Americans here in Germany. That is why Kaiserslautern is nick named Lil' America .

18th Mar, 2006 - 1:59pm / Post ID: #

2006 Soccer World Championship Movies Music Fashion & Sports

Right. Terrorist strike on what now? A football stadium? Germany? The World Cup? Mine mind does not compute, as none of said factors match. We're talking sports now, and football - the beautiful game wink.gif. Terrorism and politics play no part in sports. Alright, granted there is the internal political dealings - FIFA, UEFA and whatnot - but the international political scene should be discluded from football, and any sport for that matter. It was a disgrace to even consider to ban Iran from coming over to Germany for some stuff mentioned by their President. Sports is sports, just like religion, and it should be separated from the state - apart from the finances of course, but then that's where it gets real confusing.

As for Arena's comments, it just goes to show what a bunch of people the Americans are - or at least, what a person this particular American is. The US have just moved into the #4, based off a ridiculous system which calculates points via the number of games won and the goals scored. If this was a truly representative ranking, the US would not be visible until we are far down the list.

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (9) »

> TOPIC: 2006 Soccer World Championship

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,