Become Like Him

Become Him - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 4th Apr, 2006 - 1:11pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 3rd Apr, 2006 - 4:09am / Post ID: #

Become Like Him
A Friend

Become Like Him

I've asked this question to two missionaries and neither knew how to answer it. The last line of Chapter 1 in Gospel Principles says "By keeping his [God's] commandments we can become like him." When I first read this, it reminded me of Gen. 3:5, "For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil." What's the difference between the line in GP and what Satan said?
By the way, I'm aware of the LDS doctrine of the fall being necessary, both missionaries mentioned it.

Sponsored Links:
3rd Apr, 2006 - 10:29am / Post ID: #

Him Become

Basically, when we are urged to become like Jesus, we are trying to develop the characteristics that He is the Example of. For example, we seek to develop greater faith, humility, holiness, etc.

Becoming like Him is a goal that is worthy of anyone. It is what makes "bad men good, and good men better."

Post Date: 4th Apr, 2006 - 2:04am / Post ID: #

Become Like Him
A Friend

Become Like Him Studies Doctrine Mormon

I understand the concept of being Christlike, but it's hard to say if that line in chapter 1 is refering to that or not. Upon looking at GP again, I found a better line that illustrates my question. In chapter 47, Exaltation, it says Heavenly Father explained that "we could become like him, an exalted being." I know this may sound like an attack on your beliefs, but when I read "become like him," it reminded me of what Satan said in the garden, "ye shall be as gods." How are those two statements different?

4th Apr, 2006 - 2:16am / Post ID: #

Him Become

Sigh, I rather for others to take care of this, as I am trying to get other things done, but since I have my eye on you Seektruther, two things;

1. If you were not a native English speaker I could see relevance in the comparison, but being that you were born in the USA, I really cannot see how you get apples from oranges or in other words one concept from a different subject.

2. What is your point really... it is very unusual for someone seeking to know about the Church to zero in on one liners unless they had an objective?

Christ said that we should be Perfect, even as Our Father in Heaven is Perfect... if you want to read into that as something else then I think you may need to take another look at the life of Christ.

Post Date: 4th Apr, 2006 - 3:20am / Post ID: #

Become Like Him
A Friend

Him Become

1. Then could you help me out with the language barrier? I'm not trying to say what I think it means, I'm asking what the church says about it.

2. I don't see how those are simply one liners. Chapter 47 is focused on the subject of becoming like him. Not only is Gen. 3:5 one of the few times we hear Satan speak in the Bible, but it also shows the tactic he used in getting Adam and Eve to sin.

Chapter 47 is not simply refering to perfection, it also says we will have spirit children and be a creator.

4th Apr, 2006 - 3:25am / Post ID: #

Become Like Him

I believe Nighthawk already answered that and I came and added two cents more, maybe what you are looking for cannot be answered here and what you are trying to dig into is not based on your original question. I dare say, son, do not try to confuse yourself.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 4th Apr, 2006 - 3:35am / Post ID: #

Become Like Him
A Friend

Become Him

Hmm, maybe I didn't put enough thought into how I should phrase my question. I'm still unclear on the subject, but I'll move on.

4th Apr, 2006 - 1:11pm / Post ID: #

Become Him Mormon Doctrine Studies

I think I understand what you are trying to come up with here.

You compare what the Serpent said to Eve in the Garden of Eden, to our belief that we can become exalted beings, just as God has said.

This is a common argument used by anti-Mormon Christians, to make it appear that we are Satanic. It doesn't fly.

1. There is nowhere in the Bible that claims that Satan lied when he said that Adam and Eve would become "like the gods, knowing good from evil."

2. Adam and Eve DID become like the gods, knowing good from evil. That is as far as that comparison went. They learned the difference between good and evil. They gained knowledge and wisdom from the consequences of their actions.

3. Throughout Christian history, the great thinkers and theologians have opined that "as man is, God once was; as God is, man may become" just using different words. I am pretty sure it was Augustine who said something to the effect that "Jesus became man, that man may become God." (Paraphrased from memory.)

4. If Jesus was fully God, then He became a man, with the same appetites, pains, physical reactions, etc. as we all have. He ate food, drank water and wine, eliminated wastes from His body, washed, swam, worked, and most likely played.

When He was Resurrected, He gained a glorified, perfected body. He promised that other people would gain the same. So, as man is, Jesus once was, as Jesus is, man may become.

We just happen to believe, based upon revelation, that there is an even closer relationship between us and Jesus, as well as Heavenly Father. We believe that we are the same "species" as Heavenly Father, that He really IS our Father, and that His purpose is to, "bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." (Moses 1:39)

By the way, before you go too far in your comparison of our beliefs and what the Serpent had to say, you might want to look closely at Genesis 3:22:

And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

Based on the fact that God said this, maybe the Serpent didn't lie? Half truths and lies mixed with a strong dose of truth are some of the best tools that Satan has.

Reconcile Edited: Nighthawk on 4th Apr, 2006 - 1:12pm

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Become Like Him

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,