Help Thou Mine Unbelief

Help Thou Unbelief - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 30th May, 2006 - 1:12pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
This is an interesting thread, one in which you must read the FIRST message in order to understand what it is about.
27th Jul, 2004 - 11:49pm / Post ID: #

Help Thou Mine Unbelief

Help Thou Mine Unbelief

"Every person's individual testimony of Jesus as the Christ comes as a  spiritual gift. No one can successfully dispute or challenge it because it is so personal a gift to the one to whom it has been given. It will be as an ever-recharging spiritual energizer to keep our spiritual light running to show us the way to eternal happiness."

(James E. Faust, "Lord, I Believe; Help Thou Mine Unbelief," Ensign, Nov. 2003, 22)

Now here is the explanation of this thread and its purpose. Some members believe the Gospel, believe in Christ and go to Church faithfully, but yet still they hear of something 'new' that may cause them to have 'unbelief' or to put it another way - they cannot readily accept it. An example of this is when someone hears the Doctrine of Plural Marriage. Most of the time there is a period where the member has to 'come to terms' with what is learned or 'discovered'. Have you ever had this happen in your life?

NOTE: You do not necessarily have to say the Doctrine you had concerns about as much as how you learnt to become a believer - that is the focus.

Sponsored Links:
28th Jul, 2004 - 12:37am / Post ID: #

Unbelief Thou Help

Most of the time there is a period where the member has to 'come to terms' with what is learned or 'discovered'. Have you ever had this happen in your life?

Yes, it happened to me, of course. I needed time to 'chew' the new doctrine, search, study, pray and 'digest' it. Personal revelation was escential in order to accept this new doctrine. It happened with me about Plural Marriage, it was a total rejection in the begining but more I study it, more I prayed about it, more made sense to me.

28th Jul, 2004 - 3:40pm / Post ID: #

Help Thou Mine Unbelief Studies Doctrine Mormon

I have had this happen with more than one topic. Usually they aren't the "meat and potatoes of the gospel topics, but more the how to live in accordance with the meat and potatoes. Two have been Women staying home with the children and whether or not to watch certain films.

I find, if I am attentive in my classes, and prayerful in my personal study, I come to understand the reasons we are counseled to live our lives in certain ways to me more fully able to live the gospel.

28th May, 2006 - 6:10pm / Post ID: #

Unbelief Thou Help

I think with even the stuff we Discuss in the LDS Mature Board there are deeper things that may 'scare' us if were told them. I believe it all has to do with preparation. It is like giving a talk for the first time, it seems difficult to utterly embarrassing, but as we pray, study and give more of them we see the purpose in it and grow. Most of the 'Deeper' Doctrines are this way, as we dive into it rather than try to stay in the shallow we discover just how much sense it makes.

There are many things I still do not understand, mostly with policy changes or introductions, but I do not allow it to suffocate my ability to progress eternally. I believe Jonah felt the same way when he was asked to attend the heathen that would not listen to him.

Post Date: 29th May, 2006 - 3:02pm / Post ID: #

Help Thou Mine Unbelief
A Friend

Unbelief Thou Help

When I started going to church all those years ago, I had problems with every doctrine. I didn't like the idea that an all-loving God would allow his Son to die for a bunch of people who were totally ungrateful. Priesthood I thought was a hoax. Tithing I believed to be a scam.

I tried every new doctrine that I heard and studied them out not only in my mind, but in my life. Today when new doctrines come out, I still try them not because I have a problem with them, but to see how it improves my life and everything around me.

30th May, 2006 - 8:10am / Post ID: #

Help Thou Mine Unbelief

If I hear doctrine that is new to me, I am instinctively sceptical about it. I'll think, how can I have been a member my whole life and not know that? I will then take a wait and see attitude. It will either turn out to be false doctrine, or I will come to understand and accept it as truth. I don't have to know all the answers right now. I've never felt much of a need to receive revelation for the deeper doctrines that I don't understand. I have greater need for revelation about how to live my life, and what my decisions should be. The only time I prayed for revelation about the deeper doctrines and a better understanding of them was when I was confronted by an extended family member who is anti-mormon. It was a blessing really, because he forced me to study more of the deeper doctrines, and to meditate and pray about them.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
30th May, 2006 - 11:59am / Post ID: #

Help Thou Unbelief

Zelph and Valla bring up some interesting points and I was just wondering... are there Doctrines that you see being Discussed here that you would have to use a measure of 'Help Thou Mine Unbelief'? Do the questions here cause you to research more as Valla did when approached by the anti-Mormon family member?

30th May, 2006 - 1:12pm / Post ID: #

Help Thou Unbelief Mormon Doctrine Studies

? Do the questions here cause you to research more as Valla did when approached by the anti-Mormon family member?

Of course! When I read a thread about a doctrine I did not know about, I want to research more about it, study it, ask questions, etc. I notice some members are just afraid to dive into things they just do not know about and I suppose my curious spirit is the one that always drives me to find the answers I am looking for.

I believe that as Latter Day Saints we have a responsibility to know more about our Church and not only the doctrines related to Salvation but to know Church history and those doctrines that have been taught in the past. Sometimes I heard people choosing not to discuss them because it is "not necessary for Salvation", whether they are or not it does not make a difference to me.

I find that most members like the comfort zone they are living in, they feel "safe" in what they know, what it does concerns me is that when an Anti-Mormon or a member brings a topic that it's controversial or they do not know about, they are left without words because they just do not know what to say because they do not know the doctrine or history at all.

We also need to understand that we do not have to be told everything in order for us to do it, we need to have the willingness, desire and zeal to find out all these things on our own and for our own benefit. More we study the doctrines that are hard to understand, if we do it with faith, more it will make sense but if we close our hearts and reject these teachings, then this never going to happen.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Help Thou Mine Unbelief

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,