Waking Nightly - Respond?

Waking Nightly Respond - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 8th Aug, 2005 - 9:01pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 27th Jul, 2005 - 5:06pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

My little guy, now 20 months old slept through the night around 3 months old and we had not had a problem until recently. In lieu of recent ear infections and fever after fever (for 6 months straight), he started waking intermittently through the night. With his high temperatures, I went to his room everytime he woke, to make sure he wasn't burning up, now that he's completely rid of his problems, he has been waking up every night two and three times. Should I make that initial visit to see if he's ok or should I just leave him to go back to sleep on his own? Recent nanny reality shows on TV show a firm "no response" after several nights will stop them from doing it, but it seems too harsh to me. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sponsored Links:
27th Jul, 2005 - 5:15pm / Post ID: #

Respond Nightly Waking

Renee, I know how you feel because I have been there!. Are you completly sure he is not sick anymore?. If he slept through the night since he is 3 months old, it seems to me that it is something that is really bothering him. You should make sure he is not hungry, or dirty and make sure to have a routine and so on (you know, the usual). If that does not help, then you should check with your doc and see if it something more. I find it strange than a child after sleeping all through the night since he was a small baby suddenly starts getting up like that.
My son never slept through the night when he was a baby and we tried everything!. I never liked the option of "cold turkey" (leaving him crying). I think is cruel.

27th Jul, 2005 - 5:38pm / Post ID: #

Waking Nightly - Respond? Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

Renee, I am currently going through the same kind of situation with my 2-year old. He had about 3 ear infections in the span of 2 months, and so, everytime he woke up during the night after that, we suspected reoccurring problems. However, he has not spiked a fever, as he did when he had those ear infections. Does your little one want to be held when he wakes up during the night? I am seeing his doctor on Friday, and will definitely ask his opinion. I'll let you all know what I find out.

27th Jul, 2005 - 5:55pm / Post ID: #

Respond Nightly Waking

I think it depends upon how insistent his cries are. Also, you are the best judge of whether or not their is a reason for him to need you.

My son slept through the night at 3 weeks. My grandson, however, was a different story. When he was a baby he spent Thursday night through Sunday evening at my house so his not sleeping through the night had an impact upon me. When he was just about 16 months old I had had enough. I got up, went to his door and told him this was ridiculous and that he needed to go back to sleep. I then closed his door and mine. He fussed for about 5 minutes and went back to sleep. I never had a problem with him sleeping through the night after that. I think he had just become accustomed to calling out and having me come to him when he would wake up at night rather than just turning over and going back to sleep. By telling him I wasn't going to get him up and hold him and that he needed to go back to sleep that seemed to solve the problem.

I don't believe you should let them cry more than 5 minutes. If he is still crying after 5 minutes he is very unhappy and I think should be comforted. My grandson wasn't even really crying, just fussing. I think I would have let him cry too, though, but like I said, I would watch the clock and not let it go more than 5 minutes. I don't think it hurts to let them cry for 5 minutes after acknowledging that you have heard them but don't intend to respond. If they don't give up after 5 minutes, I personally think it is cruel to continue to let them cry.

Post Date: 27th Jul, 2005 - 6:58pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Respond Nightly Waking

Malexander: Yes, he went through his whole first year without a single ear infection and all of a sudden when I moved him to a larger daycare, he got them one after the other (correlation? I don't know) But what had happened, was he never shook the ear infection. He went through three or four different oral antibiotics and the day after his medication was done, BOOM - 105 temperature again. This scared us so bad. All of a sudden he would just spike temperatures. Poor thing. At last, he had a series of antibiotic injections three days in a row and so far, he has not spiked fever. He would never complain of his ears or pull on them or anything! That's what I can't stand about them not being able to talk about what's ailing them.
Anyway.. we have a routine every night which includes bathing around 7pm and then watching a little TV and reading books, but we've done it since he was born, and he's never had problems. When I put him in his crib, he usually falls straight asleep. When he wakes up yes he wants to be held, I rock him back to sleep and just when I think he's asleep to the world I lay him back down, he starts crying, I try to console him while he's still in his crib, and then leave. He settles in about 15 minutes and goes back to sleep. Then a few hours later, whining again. I'm afraid I took my all nighters for granted cry.gif

29th Jul, 2005 - 9:03pm / Post ID: #

Well, just came back from the doctor's office. After I explained to him what my son was going through at night, he suggested the following. Let him cry for 5 minutes, if he does not stop, go to his room, and talk to him, ensuring him everything is ok, then leave. If he is still crying wait, 10 minutes this time, go back, repeat, leave. Increase the intervals that you are in the room, and never pick him up or take him back to your room. Eventually, the association will be made that no matter how much he cries, or for how long, or how many times we come into his room, he is still going to be in the crib. It may take a few weeks, but he should realize that when he wakes up at night, crying is not going to accomplish anything, and he should go back to sleep on his own.
I am going to start trying this tonight, and see how it goes. Last night was probably the worst night since this started happening. The wife is out of town, so I had to deal with it exclusively. He woke up about midnight screaming at the top of his lungs. I eventually went in there and firmly told him he had to go back to sleep, but he still cried. I gave in, and took him to bed with me. He slept with me till 4, when I put him back in the crib. He then slept till 6:30. My son is very strong-willed, so I suspect this will take some time to train, but hopefully, when it does work, it will be permanent.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 8th Aug, 2005 - 8:37pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Waking Nightly Respond

Thanks for the tips. I had one night of uninterrupted sleep last night - or at least if he did wake up, he went back to sleep on his own. I hope I didn't speak too soon! Hopefully you are getting some sleep as well. wink.gif

8th Aug, 2005 - 9:01pm / Post ID: #

Waking Nightly Respond Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews

Since I last posted in this thread, my son has been sleeping through the night, every night. There was one exception, where he cried for more than 5 minutes. I went into his room, and consoled him without picking him out of the crib. He wasn't too happy about me leaving, but, I noticed while I was leaving the room that he lay back down. He went back to sleep on his own, and slept till morning. Hopefully Renee, your string of restful nights continue as well.

> TOPIC: Waking Nightly - Respond?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,