Mormon Mighty Prayer Enhanced

Mormon Mighty Prayer Enhanced - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 2nd Aug, 2005 - 2:46am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
1st Aug, 2005 - 12:36am / Post ID: #

I do not know if I should use the word 'enhanced', but I am wondering if using what is learned in the prayer circle for personal prayer where no one is looking can be justified or even necessary?

Sponsored Links:
1st Aug, 2005 - 1:08am / Post ID: #

Enhanced Prayer Mighty Mormon

I think it could be well justified. I do not not see anything wrong with it and I think that something so important that we learnt in the Temple could benefit us all tremendously at these times. The true order of Prayer opens the veil and allow us direct guidance from Heavenly Father. As we mentioned in another thread, early members and wards buildings used to have a special designated rooms for that purpose. Even though the Church said many years ago they should stop doing it at Church (JUST because it was taking way too much time away from their families), I do not see why we could not do it at home. You just need to build an altar or use something that can act like one, your temple robes and look forward for direct communication to the Lord.

An experience of the True Order of Prayer:

I am standing on what to me is sacred ground. My grandparents and my parents and many other relatives lived here in Provo and some still live here. My father as a young man came near losing his life in the Provo river, not far from where we are now. His father, who was in Salt Lake City, felt impressed to go into a room that had been set apart for prayer. He clothed himself in Temple robes, knelt down at the altar and said: "Heavenly Father, I feel that there is something seriously wrong with my family in Provo. Thou knowest that I can not be with them there and be here. Heavenly Father, wilt thou preserve and safeguard them, and I will be grateful to thee and honor thee."

At the time when he was praying, just as near as it was possible to indicate by checking the time, my father had fallen into the river. It was at flood time. Logs and rocks were pouring down from the canyon, and he was helpless. Those who were near saw his predicament, but they could not reach him. The turbulence of the water was such that nobody could live in it. They just stood there in horror. Father was doing everything he could to keep his head above water, but he was being thrown up and down and being dashed against the rocks and logs. All at once a wave lifted him bodily from the water and threw him upon the shore. It was a direct answer of the prayer of a servant of the Lord. (George Albert Smith, Sharing the Gospel With Others, p.83-84, Church Section, Deseret News, February 16, 1946

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 1st Aug, 2005 - 1:09am

1st Aug, 2005 - 4:08am / Post ID: #

Mormon Mighty Prayer Enhanced Studies Doctrine Mormon

Brigham Young spoke directly about this, using the signs learned in the temple in variations depending upon what one is praying about. I'm not sure if it is in the Journal of Discourses or where exactly I've seen this, but I will post here when I find it. Nighthawk may also know more about this -- eh, Nighthawk?

Roz

2nd Aug, 2005 - 12:06am / Post ID: #

Go to this webpage:
https://www.bordeglobal.com/foruminv/index.php?showforum=120/OD_FurtherLightKnowledge.txt

This is, without doubt, my favorite document on my website.

"After his fall, another name was given to Adam, and being full of integrity, and not disposed to follow the woman nor listen to her, was permitted to receive the tokens of the Priesthood.the name that was given to Adam was more ancient than he was - The name Adam was given him because he was the first man - but his New Name pertained to the Holy Priesthood and as I before stated is more ancient than he was - there are 4 Penal Signs & 4 Penal Tokens and should I want to address the Thorone (sic) to enquire after ancient things which transpired on Plannets (sic) that roled (sic) away before this Plannet (sic) came into existence, I should use my New Name which is Ancient and refers to Ancient things - Should I wish to Enquire for Present things I should use my own Name which refers to present things & should I want to Enquire for Future things I would use the 3rd Name which refers to the first token of the Melchizedek Priesthood - or is the 3rd token that is given - &refers to the son - the 2nd Token of the M. Priesthood is to be given only in one place and nowhere else - but these signs &tokens that pertain to the Priesthood should never be given anywhere only in such places as belong to the order of the Priesthood." (Brigham Young 28 Dec. 1845; record of the Seventies, Book B, 28 Dec. 1845; N. B. Lundwall Mss. Microfilm Roll #1; Heber C. Kimball "Journal" Book 93; Woman's Exponent Vol. 12, No. 6 p. 42; William Clayton's Minutes, Church Historical Dept. 28 Dec. 1845; John Doyle Lee "Journal", 14d, p. 56-57; Minutes of the Nauvoo Temple Record Sunday, Dec. 28, 1845.)

Here are two more experiences that are spoken of in the book.
"Once Joseph gave notice to the school for all to get up before sunrise, then wash themselves and put on clean clothing and be at the school by sunrise, as it would be a day of revelation and vision.  They opened with prayer.  Joseph then gave instruction to prepare their minds.  He told them to kneel and pray with uplifted hands.  Brother Coltrin then  gave an account of the appearance of the Father and Son as given in the Minutes of the 3rd inst.  Jesus was clothed in modern clothing, apparently of grey cloth." (Minutes of the Salt Lake School of the Prophets; Oct. 11, 1883, p. 69.)

"At one of these meetings after the organization of the school, the school being organized on the 23rd of January, 1833, when we were all together, Joseph having given instructions, and while engaged in silent prayer, kneeling, with our hands uplifted each one praying in silence, no one whispered above his breath, a personage walked through the room from East to West, and Joseph asked if we saw him.  I saw him and suppose the others did, and Joseph answered that is Jesus, the Son of God, our elder brother. Afterward Joseph told us to resume our former position in prayer, which we did.  Another person came through; He was surrounded as with aflame of fire. He (Brother Coltrin) experienced a sensation that it might destroy the tabernacle as it was of consuming fire of great brightness.  The Prophet Joseph said this was the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.  I saw him." (Minutes of the Salt Lake School of the Prophets; Oct. 11, 1883, p. 58-60.)

However!
Although Brigham Young frequently exorted the Saints to use what they learned in the Temple, and even gave instructions on how to build a prayer altar for use in the home, it is not safe to do so anymore. Since 1978, if a member of the Church is found to be performing a "prayer circle" within the home, or anywhere else outside the Temple, their membership is in jeopardy. People who HAVE done so have reported remarkable answers to their prayers.

But keep in mind, to whom much is given, much is required.

The man who wrote the book I reference above was a Bishop when he wrote it. I know someone who knows this man personally. The man reported to my friend that when he and his wife peformed the True Order of Prayer within their home (after dedicating the home and taking the precautions taught in the Temple), they were told in no uncertain terms that they were supposed to practice plural marriage. They have never prayed like that again, nor have they entered plural marriage.

So, my answer to the original question is to ask a question. What do you want? If you only want to progress as far as the Church provides, then you definitely shouldn't perform this ordinance. But if you want to find out exactly what the Lord expects of you, and you are willing to sacrifice everything in His cause, then you should consider taking this step.

BTW, consider this. Every member is encouraged to own their own temple clothes and robes. It would not really be a problem for the Church to ONLY allow those clothes to be "rented" at the Temple. Is this an indication that perhaps we SHOULD be willing to perform this ordinance?

Maybe it is just a matter of keeping the ordinance and what we learn from it completely private and sacred.

Oh, yes. Here is a link to another excellent book on this subject.
https://www.bordeglobal.com/foruminv/index.php?showforum=120/O_Altar.txt

This one goes into a little bit more detail on HOW to prepare and peform the ordinance (without going into great detail about the ordinance itself).

2nd Aug, 2005 - 12:18am / Post ID: #

...they were told in no uncertain terms that they were supposed to practice plural marriage. They have never prayed like that again, nor have they entered plural marriage.

This was a vision, manifestation or that 'burning' feeling? How did they get that answer as in being 'told'?

What do you want?

Well, recently I have been thinking. if we know the true way and I might add the enhanced way for want of a better word to communicate with God then why not use it. Why not expect real messages and answers above and beyond just a burning? We know how this worked for Adam very well, but maybe other forces take notice as well and outside of the temple it is a risk? (maybe another topic)

...you are willing to sacrifice everything in His cause, then you should consider taking this step.

If I am reading this right then you are saying that it is possible that a manifestation can occur and in it I maybe given tasks?

I will browse through the links with LDS_forever.

2nd Aug, 2005 - 12:33am / Post ID: #

This was a vision, manifestation or that 'burning' feeling? How did they get that answer as in being 'told'?

As I understand it, they were told in explicit words. That is, they heard a voice.

but maybe other forces take notice as well and outside of the temple it is a risk?

I understand what you are saying, but that logic tells me that even to pray about the Book of Mormon may be futile, since outside forces could be taking notice and influencing us. Isn't that a common objection from evangelicals?

No, I believe that if we take the precautions of being in a dedicate place, and casting out Satan and his minions, and having our hearts turned to the Lord, that we are safe in practicing this ordinance. I could be wrong. I expect that this fear is one of the reasons that the members have so easily and quietly agreed to the restrictions placed upon them.

BTW, before 1978, it was common to practice the True Order of Prayer in the meetinghouses and stake centers throughout the Church. In the 19th Century, the leaders of the Church strongly encouraged, almost begged, the members to practice it within their homes.

If I am reading this right then you are saying that it is possible that a manifestation can occur and in it I maybe given tasks?

That sounds about right to me. And those tasks may very well be beyond your willingness to even attempt them. Especially if you find that the information you learn, and the tasks you are given, endanger your membership in the Church.

What if one of the Three Nephites came and taught you in person? What if he were to instruct you to get involved in creating a group of people who would be ready to flee Argentina to a city of refuge? This would probably be something that you would NOT be able to keep quiet from the local leadership of the Church. Then you might be forced to face some of the same problems that Bishop Koyle did.

Very likely, you would gain information that you would be required to keep strictly to yourself. Perhaps you wouldn't even be able to share it with your wife.

Perhaps you would be given information, and commanded to share it with some people. Would you be willing to risk your membership to share that information? What if it was a confirmation that Adam was/is the Eloheim of this Earth, and the physical father of Jesus Christ? Would you be willing to take that stand?

Would you be willing to enter into Celestial Plural Marriage, if you were commanded to do so?

Would you be willing to take your own, personal Abrahamic test?

These are just a few of the things that I can see as being the really difficult parts of practicing this ordinance.

At the same time, imagine if even 5% of the members performed this ordinance on a regular basis. Imagine what could happen among the missionaries if a small percentage of them regularly prepared themselves, and experienced this ordinance on a very personal level. What great works could be accomplished?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
2nd Aug, 2005 - 12:43am / Post ID: #

I understand where you are going with this and I believe it flows from other discussions we have had in the past so the words are familiar, however it does raise some questions:

1. If this was encouraged so much in the past then why weren't more of these 'tasks' given or was it that because of the number of tasks given that seemed to be contrary to the Church was the reason they (the Leaders) decided to put a stop to it?

2. The official reasoning behind the stop if I remember right was based on it taking time away from their families, which when you think about it, does not make sense, since if I were to pray all day in my bedroom I would essentially be doing the same thing.

As for your other rhetorical questions, I would like to believe that if I had such a manifestation then I would attempt to fulfill it after verifying the messenger of course.

Offtopic but,
Of recent I have begun to see the great benefits that Plural Marriage would make, I am not so sure LDS can handle that though wink.gif and no, I am not going to add another wife to my family, it is just a comment, but we do actually make remarks about it sometimes.

2nd Aug, 2005 - 2:46am / Post ID: #

Mormon Mighty Prayer Enhanced Mormon Doctrine Studies

Here's a question: Would I (or should I), as a single woman without the Priesthood, be able to effectively use these methods myself, in my own home? What if my home has not been dedicated (because I have no Priesthood holders in my immediate family)?

but these signs &tokens that pertain to the Priesthood should never be given anywhere only in such places as belong to the order of the Priesthood.

Offtopic but,
Most of the time, being single doesn't bother me. However, in instances such as these, I sorely miss a Patriarch in my home.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Mormon Mighty Prayer Enhanced

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,