Is Mental Illness A Sin? - Page 4 of 4

Name: Jacob Country: Comments: Mental illness - Page 4 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 15th Dec, 2014 - 3:55am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Do you really need an answer?
19th May, 2007 - 2:13am / Post ID: #

Is Mental Illness A Sin? - Page 4

QUOTE (LDS_forever)
How would a compassionate community of brothers and sisters in the gospel respond to children with serious behavior problems and their families?

I like the first one... "Suspend judgment", and I have been guilty of saying stupid things like "They spoil him" or "They do not do 'x' or 'y' as parents", but who am I to judge? I am sure when people look at Felipe and then us they already have everything figured out.

Sponsored Links:
24th Dec, 2007 - 12:15am / Post ID: #

Sin Illness Mental Is

As I was reading this tragic story, I could not stop thinking in the pain and suffering this family went through. Having a child with a mental illness is a very difficult challenge but having a child with a mental illness who is constantly trying to kill himself is another story and something I cannot possible imagine. On top of that, the son was not alone in this journey...his own mother also fought her own "demons". What a tragic story.

On a sunny Sunday morning in early fall, Mesa police Lt. Kevin Kazmaier drove his wife and youngest son home early from church, before 12-year-old Zack could disrupt the Mormon service and embarrass his brother again. Zack had been spiraling out of control for weeks, but no hospital would take him. Years of psychiatric medications and advancing puberty were buffeting his mind and body. He was manic, attacking brother Mike with a paper-towel rod and threatening to kill himself at every turn.

Sixth grade at Field Elementary School began with such promise, but now his teachers were saying they just couldn't handle him.

His longtime psychiatrist adjusted Zack's medications three times in September, then told Pam and Kevin Kazmaier to get used to their son's bizarre behaviors. The family would learn later she was battling her own demons.

Pam was spiraling, too, but in the opposite direction. Her bipolar disorder, undiagnosed for most of her life, was banking dangerously low. The family's one solace - a small cabin in Taylor where the boys rode all-terrain vehicles - was threatened by neighbors complaining about the noise.

As Kevin drove back to join his older boy at church, Pam started changing into more comfortable clothes. She moved slowly, methodically. Like she was pushing through a fog.

Her obsessive-compulsive side, along with the mania of her bipolar illness, accounted for her neat-as-a-pin house and had served her well as a detail-oriented obstetrics nurse at Banner Mesa Medical Center.

She meticulously charted Zack's medical, school and social progress, filling a 5-inch binder with legal and medical documents, notes and photographs.

A little mania would have come in handy now. But it had abandoned her, leaving only the black hole of depression. She looked up as Zack walked into the bedroom.

"Mom, let's kill ourselves," he suggested, grinning from ear to ear.

He had tried so many times before. In fact, the boy had been trying to end his life for most of it. He'd put ropes around his neck, cut himself with knives, leaped from moving cars and nearly threw himself off the roof of a parking garage at Fiesta Mall.

His mother kept a blue suit handy for his funeral, fully expecting him to one day succeed, like his 14-year-old cousin before him, just a few months earlier. He shot himself with a gun that Pam and Kevin had given to his father.

Now, as she considered the burly, brown-eyed boy, it seemed like the only choice they had left.

"OK," she said.

Together in death, Pam thought, they would be free.

Released from the tangled web of the mental illnesses that bound them, that they couldn't escape and that consumed all of Pam's time and energy. Drugs, doctors, therapy sessions, teacher conferences. None of it was working. Zack was getting worse.

Pam was drowning, neglecting her own mental illness and shouldering the burden of caring for Zack. She hadn't worked since he was born, or slept much either, in the same house with a boy who had night terrors and regularly threatened his life and theirs. She had dedicated her life to her family, her Mormon church and, most of all, Zack's illness. She had completely lost herself.

Zack had become her reason for living and, it seemed now, her reason for dying.

If they were gone, Pam thought, Kevin and Mike would be free to live their lives without the burden of a mentally ill mother and son.

No more calls from school. No more worries about how their "crazy" family looked to Mike's junior high classmates or the neighbors or Kevin's colleagues at the Mesa Police Department, where he commanded the bomb squad.

No more of Zack's outbursts at their Mormon Church ward and at Boy Scout meetings....

28th Dec, 2007 - 4:25am / Post ID: #

Is Mental Illness A Sin? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Mental illness is not a sin, its just a trial in the life of the one who is mentally ill and its a test for the family members. Mental illness is no more a sin than being born blind is a sin. Some people become mentally ill because of serious accidents too, thats not sin.

24th May, 2009 - 2:21pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 Sin Illness Mental Is

Depression can be a mental illness right? I wonder about if past stupid mistakes make me depressed or if I'm just born that way. I get really depressed just thinking about it and I don't want to see anyone. I find peace and quiet in my room.

24th May, 2009 - 7:43pm / Post ID: #

Sin Illness Mental Is

QUOTE (CutieCTR @ 24-May 09, 10:21 AM)
I wonder about if past stupid mistakes make me depressed or if I'm just born that way.

Personally (and this is just my personal opinion) I think it can be physical (chemical imbalance on the brain) that probably a person was born with OR due to certain traumatic experiences, that depression was developed. If it is the first case, the person needs medical help since is unable to find that balance in the brain on his/her own, sometimes medication can help. If it is the second case, I think therapy can help tremendously, I did it and it was a great help in my life. The scars still there but not as visible as before.

25th May, 2009 - 4:02pm / Post ID: #

Is Mental Illness A Sin?

I feel kind of akward about going to a shrink. I don't want to feel like I'm so badly off in my mind that I have to get that kind of help.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
25th May, 2009 - 4:07pm / Post ID: #

Is Mental Illness Sin - Page 4

No, don't feel that way! You don't have to be "bad off" in order to do therapy! People do it all the time for lots of reasons. I did it when a very close relative committed suicide and doing therapy was a tremendous help in my life.

Post Date: 15th Dec, 2014 - 3:55am / Post ID: #

Is Mental Illness Sin Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 4

Name: Jacob

Comments: Mental illness of itself cannot be a sin. The sin comes from knowingly breaking the commandments. I guess it would have to depend on the degree of mental illness since there are mold to severe cases.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Is Mental Illness A Sin?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,