Reflux

Reflux - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 6th May, 2006 - 9:25pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD
Post Date: 8th Sep, 2005 - 7:04pm / Post ID: #

Reflux

Many humans suffer with this. How much do you know about Gastroesophageal reflux disease?

Gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD, affects at least an estimated 5% to 7% of the global population-men, women, and children. (Prevalence based on once per day heartburn.) Heartburn and/or acid regurgitation experienced weekly has been found to occur in 19.8% of individuals.

GERD is a chronic disease. Treatment usually must be maintained on a long-term basis, even after symptoms have been brought under control. Issues of daily living, and compliance with long-term use of medication need to be addressed as well. This can be accomplished through follow-up, support, and education.
Ref. https://www.aboutgerd.org/

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 20th May, 2006 - 9:59pm

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 24th Sep, 2005 - 3:21am / Post ID: #

Reflux
A Friend

Reflux

My mother has GERD, or at least she was diagnosed with it. She had heartburn so bad and so frequently that she had to have a surgical procedure done. The doctors told her that the reflux disease caused the flap that prevents acid from coming back up to be eaten away little by little. Surgery was performed to repair the damage. She doesn't have all the heart burn now but is on medication to prevent the excess acid from causing the damage again.

Post Date: 31st Oct, 2005 - 10:47pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Reflux Health & Special Psychology

HEARTBURN: NO LAUGHING MATTE

An epidemic of heartburn has left many patients with questions about how to prevent more serious problems.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C3949%2C%2C00.html

4th May, 2006 - 2:05pm / Post ID: #

Reflux

Well, I went searching for this topic because I have been up all night. I'm just exhausted, but lying down is killing me. I woke up with this horrible pain in the middle of my chest, just underneath my breastbone and it wouldn't go away. When I started getting nervous, I figured that a drive out to urgent care was better than having a heart-attack. I was in the ER for about five hours and in that time they gave me a "GI Cocktail" which contained roughly the equivilent to Maalox if it were being produced to fuel fighter jets and lidocaine to numb my esophagus. GERD. Same deal with the little flappy thing, only they wouldn't do any kind of surgery on me because of my weight, which is off topic. So, if anyone has any suggestions of things to do besides change my diet which I've done, elevate my bed, stop drinking coffee, tea and soda which I didn't have any coffee to begin with, I'd sure appreciate it. Be gentle with me if I make just a little nonsense here. I'm sleepy and I hurt. sad.gif

5th May, 2006 - 3:30am / Post ID: #

Reflux

MissMolly,

I recommend seeing your primary care physician. He could recommend medication that you could take. There is over the counter medication to prevent heartburn, but it shouldn't be taken over long periods of time. The physician could diagnose whether it's a chronic problem or something that could be treated with the over the counter medication. I have heartburn at least once a week and I just drink a glass of milk to help calm my stomach down. It helps a little bit.

I hope you get to feeling better soon.

5th May, 2006 - 11:22pm / Post ID: #

Reflux

Thank you so much! I am feeling much better today, yesterday was still bleh. I have been on a prescription antacid medication, but it got to the point where I can't afford it. With the cost of prescriptions through the roof and being a category that falls through the cracks a lot, it is hard to pick and choose what medications you can take. That was off-topic a bit, I think smile.gif I have been drinking caffeinated beverages lately and being stressed about the end of the semester, that usually sets me off. Thank you for the good-wishes, they mean a lot to me.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
6th May, 2006 - 12:05pm / Post ID: #

Reflux

Hi Missmolly, I was sorry to hear that you too suffer with this illness, but glad to hear you are feeling a bit better.

My Husband has this illness too, it is really painful and horrible , and in my opinion it is really underestimated the pain and discomfort you can feel with this.

He is prescribed a medication for it now, called Reprizole/Pariet, and this seems to help to an extent.
Before it was brought a bit more under control, there had been times where the acid that had come back up into his throat actually burnt his throat, and made his throat bleed!

He was advised to avoid soda of all kinds totally, avoid spicy foods of any type, and also citrus fruits,and reduce fat intake.

Last of all, he was told to drink plenty of milk, and try to eat foods that were not acidic, but eat foods that leaned towards being alkaline.

He has found it better to not eat foods after 7pm at night too, so they are not lying on the stomach all night!

Hope this helps, and that you are feeling better soon, Diane.

6th May, 2006 - 9:25pm / Post ID: #

Reflux Psychology Special & Health

Thank you, DianeC for your very thoughtful words. I am now taking Famotidine and things seem to be helping. I am weening off of carbonated beverages, but I do like bubbles in my water for some reason! :laughs: Maybe it's that it makes me feel fancy so I drink more? I don't know. Also, I was told the same thing. Do not eat or drink anything for two hours before bed. This is a challenge for school because sometimes I do not get out of classes until 9pm. I want to go to sleep, but I want to get something nice and warm to drink before bed. I am in a quandry! Thank you again for your recommendations, they are very much appreciated.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Reflux

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,