DianeC Introduction - Page 21 of 47

Thanks for your support JB and LDS,sorry I - Page 21 - Introductions, Member Sharing - Posted: 17th Sep, 2007 - 7:20pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 47 pgs.  17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  ...Latest (47) »
Looking for EMM RMs (Past Missionaries From Eccles). Winner of the 2007 Architect Award.
Post Date: 17th Sep, 2007 - 10:11am / Post ID: #

Diamond + Author
[?] CPosts: 2,053
Flag Posts: 2,535
Avg: 0.4 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 9.5%
[+] Gain: 4,034.80 FP
Charm: 111

DianeC Introduction - Page 21

Hi JB, we have talked about home schooling, but we don't feel that either of us are educated up to a high enough standard to teach her ourselves. It'd be alright whilst she was young, but you've got to be able to keep it up when they're older too, and I don't think we'd be best for doing that.
Our eldest Son Anthony has been urging us to do this for a while, but I feel we'd have to employ somebody which would be too expensive.He spends a lot of time doing math with them.
We do spend a lot of time doing work at home with the kids, but I know in my heart that we could never replace a teacher.
When our Daughter changes school, she is going from a special needs school to a school which is mainstream, but with supported help just for her. Basically, she couldn't manage mainstream by herself, but they will employ a teacher just for her to help her get the same education as any other child-we're very excited at this, and hopefully this will be the way forward for her.
Thanks for the suggestion and thoughts, hope you are all well!
Best wishes, Diane.

Blog Read My Blog
Contribution: Diamond Emeritus | Credit: | Gender: Female | Politics: Humanitarian
Tenet: Baptist | Reason: Ruler of Kings II Text RPG | Age: Fifty Something | Joined: Reg. 13th Oct, 2005 - 8:53am
Signature:
Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 17th Sep, 2007 - 10:34am / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect
[?] CPosts: 38,081
Flag Posts: 51,738
Avg: 6.4 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 100%
[+] Gain: 4,621.62 FP
Charm: 394

Introduction DianeC

QUOTE (DianeC)
...we don't feel that either of us are educated up to a high enough standard to teach her ourselves

You have the GCE level exams under your belt don't you? I think that is good enough, but I guess too you need a break because Home Schooling is full time.

Blog Read My Blog
Contribution: Hard Work | Credit: | Gender: Male | Politics: Libertarian
Tenet: Reperire Veritatem | Reason: Discuss Global Issues | Age: Fifty Something | Joined: Reg. 3rd Sep, 2002 - 1:01pm
Signature: Donate Please Support Our Efforts!
Post Date: 17th Sep, 2007 - 10:46am / Post ID: #

Diamond + Author

DianeC Introduction Sharing Member & Introductions

I guess if things don't work out at the new school then I probably would look at it with some help from Anthony and his girlfriend, but it's not something I'd relish the idea of myself doing laugh.gif.
You're right though, that it is hard to find good schooling, and somebody who is understanding. That's one of the things that we're not too happy about her present school-they just seem so negative towards her, and you just can't help but pick up on the vibes- she even told us that last term the teacher she had told her that she hated her! I'm hoping the new school move will be good all round!
All the best Diane.

Blog Read My Blog
Contribution: Diamond Emeritus | Credit: | Gender: Female | Politics: Humanitarian
Tenet: Baptist | Reason: Ruler of Kings II Text RPG | Age: Fifty Something | Joined: Reg. 13th Oct, 2005 - 8:53am
Signature:
Post Date: 17th Sep, 2007 - 10:57am / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect

Page 21 Introduction DianeC

QUOTE (DianeC)
...she even told us that last term the teacher she had told her that she hated her!

Diane that is terrible! I am sure if this were local she would be getting some licks, that is one of the many reasons we took Felipe out of the system. I really hope it works out for you.She has started already?

Blog Read My Blog
Tenet: Reperire Veritatem | Reason: Discuss Global Issues | Age: Fifty Something | Joined: Reg. 3rd Sep, 2002 - 1:01pm
Post Date: 17th Sep, 2007 - 11:07am / Post ID: #

Diamond + Author

Introduction DianeC

Hi, she hasn't started yet, the local authority are in the process of agreeing funds to employ a teacher, but they didn't get it sorted out in time for when they went back in September, so we are waiting for them to do that-although it's been agreed in principle and the new school has agreed to take her on once the finances have been sorted. Hopefully she will be in place there within the month.It's actually at the same school as her younger brother, but they've been a lot more supportive and understanding at his school-so hopefully it will do her good to be at the same school (as well as being a lot easier for us!)
I'll keep you posted to how it goes.
We were very upset to hear that a teacher had said that to her, and she was adamant that it had been said, you just expect teachers to be a bit more professional than that-but these days nothing surprises me.
Thanks for asking, Diane.

Blog Read My Blog
Signature:
Post Date: 17th Sep, 2007 - 11:18am / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect

DianeC Introduction

If you were in the US you could take the school and / or teacher to court, so they will think twice about telling that to other kids in a similar disposition. I am not sure British law would acknowledge a case like this, but I may be wrong. Here they would just 'laugh' at it.

Blog Read My Blog
Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 17th Sep, 2007 - 11:35am / Post ID: #

Dia. Mod + Chief Mod
[?] CPosts: 17,375
Flag Posts: 21,317
Avg: 2.6 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 68.9%
[+] Gain: 1,240.35 FP
Charm: 342

DianeC Introduction - Page 21

What kind of person tells a child (a special needs one too!) that they hate her? As most kids with special needs, the child is already dealing with self-esteem issues. What a shame.

I know that homeschooling seem like a great challenge, you do not have to be "high" educated to teach your kids at home, it has been done for centuries and most parents did not have bachelors and doctorates when they did it. As a matter of fact, I recall seeing this family (as many others) who homeschool their 7 kids and a couple of them reached to college at age 16 and the mom only has a high school diploma. She said she learned WITH them and I think that's the key.

I am terrible at Math and of course, right now I am doing just basics but I know that I will have to start dusting books and study all over again when that moment reaches. It is a lot of work and a lot of commitment but you also have the great advantage of so many different "methods" that will suit your kids. From the formal ones to Christian ones as well as anything in between.

In Felipe's case it is hard for him to sit down and write anything. So I try a lot of reading and Math which he loves. It is very important to get them work on those things that they are good at so they can feel good about themselves and work on the weaker areas a bit at the time. Repetition helps a lot and Felipe now is able to read basic books and is asking some great questions which I never thought he would.

Schooling in Trinidad is not an option for me, even if Felipe did not have special needs. The teachers are very hard to young and older children and put them down constantly. This is a common occurrence in both Government and Private Schools. I am no sending any of my kids in any school here to be bullied at and treated as dogs. It is sad but the reality.

I wish you and your daughter all the best in the new school, please keep us posted! I always have them on my mind and wonder how they are doing. Keep up the good work!
LDS

Blog Read My Blog
Tenet: -- | Reason: Discuss Global Issues | Age: Forty Something | Joined: Reg. 8th Sep, 2002 - 5:01pm
Signature: Don't make someone your priority when you're only their option
Post Date: 17th Sep, 2007 - 7:20pm / Post ID: #

Diamond + Author

DianeC Introduction Introductions & Member Sharing - Page 21

Thanks for your support JB and LDS,sorry I got your post just as I was leaving for work, so have had to wait until I got home to reply!
I think that if things don't work out at the school, then home schooling has got to be looked at as an option. The laws on home schooling are very stringent here in the UK though, and you are sent a curriculum to follow, and an annual home inspection report takes place. Part of my Daughter's problem is that she struggles to get on with other children, and always has to be number 1, even if it means cheating-which in turn infuriates other children. I'm hoping that instead of being put down and being under so much negativity, I'm hoping that her new school will have a much more positive approach. I've been informed by another parent that last term, my Daughter had to sit on a 'naughty mat' every day, and she was even put on 'detention' for not finishing off her written work?
(all this when she was just 5, and with special needs)

The main problem is that because she has a 'statement of education' (statemented for special needs) we lose the right to just remove her from a school and place her where we want- it has to be approved by a panel of people.
On the plus side, it does guarantee that when she moves school (removal at their request) they have to sort her out a teaching assistant to make sure that she gets the same chance of an education as any other child within the school.

In the mean time, it's just frustrating all round, whilst we wait, and she knows that she's at a school where she's not wanted- the sad thing is that she said to me in June, even before it had been requested she move that she would be going to a new school in September. When I asked her why she said this, her reply was "it's September, and I always have to go to a new school in September". It's sadly true that this will be her 4th school, and she was only 6 in August!

I'll keep you updated to how we go on!
I appreciate your thoughts and ideas!
Best wishes, Diane.

Blog Read My Blog
Signature:

> TOPIC: DianeC Introduction

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,