Balance Between Callings And Family

Balance Callings Family - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 1st May, 2006 - 6:43am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

29th Dec, 2005 - 5:49pm / Post ID: #

Balance Between Callings And Family

I found this great talk by President Boyd K. Packer, on it mentions a lot of things that as Latter-Day Saints we hear people talking and even critizing from other members, it is balance between callings and family life:

"We must be careful lest programs and activities of the Church become too heavy for some families to carry. The principles of the gospel, where understood and applied, strengthen and protect both individuals and families. Devotion to the family and devotion to the Church are not different and separate things.

I recently saw a woman respond when it was said of another, "Since she had the new baby, she isn't doing anything in the Church." You could almost see a baby in her arms as she protested with emotion: "She is doing something in the Church. She gave that baby life. She nurtures and teaches it. She is doing the most important thing that she can do in the Church."

How would you respond to this question: "Because of their handicapped child, she is confined to the home and he works two jobs to meet the extra expenses. They seldom attend-can we count them as active in the Church?"

And have you ever heard a woman say, "My husband is a very good father, but he's never been a bishop or a stake president or done anything important in the Church." In response to that, a father vigorously said, "What is more important in the Church than being a good father?"

Faithful attendance at Church, together with careful attention to the needs of the family, is a near-perfect combination...."

....Recently I read a letter from a young couple whose callings in the Church frequently require them to hire a sitter for their small children in order for them to attend their meetings. It has become very difficult for both of them to be home with their children at the same time. Can you see something out of balance there?

Every time you schedule a youngster, you schedule a family-particularly the mother.

Consider the mother who, in addition to her own Church calling and that of her husband, must get her children ready and run from one activity to another. Some mothers become discouraged-even depressed. I receive letters using the word guilt because they cannot do it all.

Attending Church is, or should be, a respite from the pressures of everyday life. It should bring peace and contentment. If it brings pressure and discouragement, then something is out of balance."

https://lds.org/features/frames/0,5963,2286-1-64,00.html

I recommend the whole talk, it really gives a perspective of what the Brethren really want to do and how things are really run in reality in your ward or branch.
Feel free to add your comments about the article and your experiences.

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 29th Dec, 2005 - 5:50pm

Sponsored Links:
30th Dec, 2005 - 1:34am / Post ID: #

Family Callings Balance

QUOTE (from above)
....Recently I read a letter from a young couple whose callings in the Church frequently require them to hire a sitter for their small children in order for them to attend their meetings. It has become very difficult for both of them to be home with their children at the same time. Can you see something out of balance there?

Yes, I most certainly can see something out of balance and you can bet that I have voiced this concern for many years. in my own family I believe we have control over it and ensure that besides normal Sunday attendance all other Church related activities must cater around our family time and not the other way around.

1st May, 2006 - 6:43am / Post ID: #

Balance Between Callings And Family Studies Doctrine Mormon

At our ward conference leadership meeting, our Stake President spoke on this. He was wise in giving us examples of how he has met this challenge in his many years of service as Stake President and Bishop. He told of many difficult decisions and times when he had to disappoint his family. He talked about a planned family fishing trip that his children were very much looking forward to. The day before the planned event, a ward member passed away and he was asked to . . . (I'm not sure what but maybe it was dedicate the grave or speak at the service). It was something for which he felt he couldn't say no. He walked into his house and found three very despondent children, thinking the trip would be postponed. Well, they took the trip, and he left the family for a few hours to fulfill his Bishop responsibilities. In this case, he made a greater effort to be with his family and to do what he felt he needed to in his calling, as well. He said that when he couldn't watch their various performances in school, he asked to be given a private performance, at home. The point he made was that because of his efforts, his family understood that they were his first priority. They also understood how important the Gospel and service in the Church was to him. I think prayer must play an important role in how we all handle this very difficult challenge. I also think it's important we not judge someone by how they chose to balance their lives. The Lord has made it clear that the family is the most important organization in time and eternity.

> TOPIC: Balance Between Callings And Family

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,