Lds Position Haunting

Lds Position Haunting - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 8th Apr, 2007 - 4:21pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

30th Oct, 2005 - 6:49pm / Post ID: #

Lds Position Haunting

Does anyone have documentation concerning the LDS position on Hauntings, such as a house being inhabited by ghosts or an object having some sort of connection with the afterlife.

Sponsored Links:
30th Oct, 2005 - 8:25pm / Post ID: #

Haunting Position Lds

Interesting topic. I believe the Church believes that here on this earth there are those spirits who have decided to follow Satan's plan and they have some kind of physical influence over this world. I found the following:

What do the LDS believe about "supernatural" things such as hauntings, poltergeists, etc.? Are they nonexistent, things from the adversary's "fallen angels" or what?

Latter-day Saints believe that Lucifer and the unembodied spirits who were cast out of heaven with him have some ability to affect the physical world. They often harass and bother people "for [they] seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto [themselves]." (2 Nephi 2:27) Many supernatural manifestations are real experiences caused by these devils. For example, Joseph Smith experienced one of these experiences:

"After I had retired to the place where I had previously designed to go, having looked around me, and finding myself alone, I kneeled down and began to offer up the desires of my heart to God. I had scarcely done so, when immediately I was seized upon by some power which entirely overcame me, and had such an astonishing influence over me as to bind my tongue so that I could not speak. Thick darkness gathered around me, and it seemed to me for a time as if I were doomed to sudden destruction. But, exerting all my powers to call upon God to deliver me out of the power of this enemy which had seized upon me, and at the very moment when I was ready to sink into despair and abandon myself to destruction--not to an imaginary ruin, but to the power of some actual being from the unseen world, who had such marvelous power as I had never before felt in any being--just at this moment of great alarm, I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me. It no sooner appeared than I found myself delivered from the enemy which held me bound. When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other--This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!" (See Joseph Smith History 15:-17).

https://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/qa/31.htm

Post Date: 26th Dec, 2005 - 8:47am / Post ID: #

Lds Position Haunting
A Friend

Lds Position Haunting Studies Doctrine Mormon

I couldn't of put it better myself LDS_forever, the believe I had before I read about it was that the spirits that men see are not actually disembodied spirits but those of the followers of Satan. Remember they are always watching us and find ways to fool us in to believing in things that don't have any great spiritual value in our lives.

Post Date: 29th Dec, 2006 - 11:07pm / Post ID: #

Lds Position Haunting
A Friend

Haunting Position Lds

I'm having a difficult time believing that the only spiritual, or paranormal, manifestations are of evil or satanic origin. I've had a couple of experiences that make it almost impossible for me to believe that. If that is the case, than I have to search deep for another explanation for my experiences. Is there literature or any other resources you can suggest that I can seek answers from?

29th Dec, 2006 - 11:55pm / Post ID: #

Haunting Position Lds

You will find that LDS Literature on the subject is scarce, however if you are looking for other views and types of experiences you should check the Near Death Experiences Board. As a last resort you may wish to also try certain Threads (emphasis on certain) in the Mystics and Paranormal Board.

Post Date: 30th Dec, 2006 - 12:01am / Post ID: #

Lds Position Haunting
A Friend

Lds Position Haunting

Thanks JB-- but why is the literature and/or other church resources on the subject so scarce. Do you believe that spirits do NOT attach themselves to this plane or that they do not visit this plane? I truly respect and look forward to your personal opinion.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
30th Dec, 2006 - 12:10am / Post ID: #

Lds Position Haunting

Due to the fact that there isn't much LDS related input I have made many comments outside of this Board and within the Boards I mentioned earlier. However, a scan of possible Threads within this Board that you can look at are:

Lingering/wandering Spirits And Lds Experiences

Can Satan Tempt Spirits Who Have Departed?

Lds Position On Occult Affiliation

Astral Travel?

Now personally I feel that spirits who have already passed their First Estate can only interact with us based on permission and with purpose. However, those who did not keep their First Estate are free to use supernatural effects, or should I say, what is natural to them, but not to us to turn us away from God.

Post Date: 8th Apr, 2007 - 4:21pm / Post ID: #

Lds Position Haunting
A Friend

Lds Position Haunting Mormon Doctrine Studies

I agree with JB that

...spirits who have already passed their First Estate can only interact with us based on permission and with purpose.
; however, their "purpose" may seem trivial to some, but in the Lords view, is quite necessary for the individual who experiences the interaction. I know a mother who was visited by her child immediately after his death in a car accident, yet it was before she had even been told of her child's involvement in the accident, let alone that he was dead. She believes her child visited her as a way of lessening the shock and grief of his sudden death.

> TOPIC: Lds Position Haunting

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,