Original Or Fake - Page 2 of 2

I believe we all "fake" a little, - Page 2 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 12th Jun, 2006 - 12:31pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 3rd Jun, 2006 - 7:41pm / Post ID: #

Original Or Fake
A Friend

Original Or Fake - Page 2

I think that it is at least a little due to peoples own self loathing. They don't like who they are and think others won't as well and thus try to be something different and better. That involves usually imitating someone or something others already consider good. Much of being "fake" is mimicking someone else, being like someone else.

Others try to be what ever fits in or try to be like who ever is most popular or most liked, thus they can ride to coat tails so to speak.

Sponsored Links:
3rd Jun, 2006 - 8:30pm / Post ID: #

Fake Original

There are different ways of being fake. As Malexander pointed out, it's not always about conforming but the perception other people have of who we portray ourselves to be. I can't stand those I call the "honey drippers" ~ they are overly sweet to your face, then behind your back they bring out the claws to tear you apart. Then there are those who pretend they are either smarter or dumber than they really are to get whatever it is they want. It's all about perception.

Do I want a bunch of friends all trying to think and behave exactly alike? Who exactly do they use as a role model to begin with? Or would I prefer friends with differing, original opinions, not aping someone else's thoughts and actions but actually thinking for themselves ~ valuing their own selves enough to speak their minds? The latter, thank you very much.

In my opinion, of course.
Roz

3rd Jun, 2006 - 8:39pm / Post ID: #

Original Or Fake Health & Special Psychology

All good points.

I was just thinking that someone that is often quiet or should I say content is more likely to not be a fake. They are at peace with themselves and environment and often do not have to impress anyone. Usually the fake ones are just the opposite as they must be seen because they just have to do or say something to establish their 'better' image all the time. In my opinion.

3rd Jun, 2006 - 8:54pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Fake Original

I agree with that assessment. Self-control and a peaceful demeanor all signal to me someone who knows who they are, and are happy with the world (generally speaking). Folks like that are often overlooked and underestimated, when they more often may have hidden strengths.

Post Date: 11th Jun, 2006 - 11:29pm / Post ID: #

Original Or Fake
A Friend

Fake Original

Maybe their quietness has something to do with that old saying "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

I'm a pretty quiet person myself and if someone irritates me, most often I'll just grin and bear it when I'm seething on the inside (unless it's my husband, and then I'll just let it rip, poor fellow)

I think many people are that way, because they want to avoid hurting others' feelings.

Also, It depends on who I'm around as to how much I hide my true personality. If I'm around people that I know are bad about talking behind others' backs, I'll clam up and get really quiet so I won't give them a reason to talk about ME.

I hate the thought of people talking bad about me when I'm not there. I don't know why either, because I don't really care deeply what others think of me.

12th Jun, 2006 - 12:57am / Post ID: #

Original Or Fake

QUOTE (Indygo)
I think many people are that way, because they want to avoid hurting others' feelings.

Interesting deduction. You are saying that if a person uses silence as a means to 'fake' their through personality it is because they are first considering the feelings of others?

I'll clam up and get really quiet so I won't give them a reason to talk about ME.

They will most likely talk about you anyway. They may accuse you of being too quiet or thinking you are better than them so you cannot get involved in conversation.

Trying to please others is one of the basis for this Thread and it is what causes people to not be original - just be yourself and let everyone get used to it - let everyone become attuned toexpecting your aura / demeanor / responses, that way you do not make yourself uncomfortable acting. Everyone will know what to expect from you and thus you can be yourself or as the saying go "Take me as I am".

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 12th Jun, 2006 - 12:31pm / Post ID: #

Original Or Fake
A Friend

Original Fake - Page 2

I believe we all "fake" a little, even those who say they don't. Now, this is pretty boldly said, but think about it. We also have to consider that we all have several roles to fill every day. Sometimes it just doesn't fit in to the situation to be completely original. You have to take upon yourself a role with the expected attributes common for that role. If you're a policeman, the public expects you to behave a certain way. You're expected to have certain attributes common for a policeman. Now, those attributes may not come naturally to you, but you can learn them. Thus you are in a sense faking because you are behaving as expected.

The whole society is made up of written or unwritten rules (norms and ethics) we all, more or less, pay attention to. This varies from place to place according to culture and traditions. This influences how we act. Maybe the only place we act originally is in our homes. In the home we have been a part of making the rules to fit us best. That makes it easier for us not to fake when we are alone with our families at home.

Empirical studies (Will Shutz) also show that all groups of people go through certain stages before they stop faking. And for most of us, the groups don't exist long enough to come to the last stage where we all know eachother and feel safe enough to just be our real self. Our families are however an example of a group that usually exist long enough. Some can also experience this at work or at school.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Original Or Fake

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,