Rebaptism

Rebaptism - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 29th Dec, 2005 - 12:57am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
27th Dec, 2005 - 1:52pm / Post ID: #

Rebaptism

Rebaptism

"I know that in my traveling and preaching, many a time I have stopped by beautiful streams of clear, pure water, and have said to myself, " How delightful it would be to me to go into this, to be baptized for the remission of my sins." When I got home, Joseph told me it was my privilege. At this time, came a revelation, that the Saints could be baptized and rebaptized when they chose..." (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 18, p. 241).

What are your thoughts about this quote? Can someone be rebaptized for other reasons than trying to re-enter the Church again?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 27th Dec, 2005 - 4:56pm / Post ID: #

Rebaptism
A Friend

Rebaptism

Interesting topic! I had thought Baptism was a one-time affair for entry (or a second-time for re-entry) into the church, or on behalf of the dead.

If baptism in water is for the cleansing of sins as well as signifying an allegiance to God, then further baptisms would be as a reaffirmation of the allegiance to God and the promise to obey him. I think.

Reconcile Edited: auroris on 27th Dec, 2005 - 5:01pm

Post Date: 28th Dec, 2005 - 3:19am / Post ID: #

Rebaptism
A Friend

Rebaptism Studies Doctrine Mormon

Rebaptism is not necessarily except in cases or wanting to return to the church, I'm not sure when the above statement was made. But according to official church doctrine, rebaptism is used only in cases where one desires to return to the fold of God after having been either ex-communicated or having your name removed.

When we partake of Sacrament to renew the covenent that we made at baptism.

28th Dec, 2005 - 12:46pm / Post ID: #

Rebaptism

Up until sometime in the 20th Century, rebaptism was very frequently used, and taught as a doctrine, within the Church. It was used for healing, before any major life change, and anytime a person felt a particular desire to recommit to the Lord.

This practice was taught, and practiced by, Joseph Smith and Brigham Young in particular.

Now, the Church forbids this practice.

28th Dec, 2005 - 6:24pm / Post ID: #

Rebaptism

As Nighthawk said, this practise was done for a lot of reasons: healing, accepting a major calling, before going to the Temple or as he said, when someone had a need to re-committed himself to the Lord.

I wonder how our lives would change if this practise was taking place in our days, do you think your commitment to keep the commandments would somehow increase knowing you can be baptize as many times as you feel is neccesary?.

28th Dec, 2005 - 8:45pm / Post ID: #

Rebaptism

Although it would be a great thing to be baptized all over again, I almost fail to see the point if partaking the sacrament does the same thing. In fact, seeking out baptism again seems to almost cause / show a lack of importance / faith that the sacrament has in renewing you to the point of being at one with God, in my opinion of course. This may be the reason it the practise was stopped along with time constraint reasons since each baptism involves at least four people, three of which must be Priests or higher.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
29th Dec, 2005 - 12:26am / Post ID: #

Rebaptism

Where, in the scriptures, does the Sacrament equate to renewal of our baptismal covenants? Not saying that it doesn't, just that I don't know of anyplace in scripture that explains this.

If rebaptism shows any sort of lack faith in the Sacrament, why did Joseph Smith teach it? Why would Brigham Young say that Joseph had received a revelation specifically stating that this is a privilege that the Saints could enjoy?

Reconcile Edited: Nighthawk on 29th Dec, 2005 - 12:31am

29th Dec, 2005 - 12:57am / Post ID: #

Rebaptism Mormon Doctrine Studies

I am tackling this first from written ancient text. A careful reading of the scriptures will show that baptism has always been shown as the gate by which one should enter - that is a key word - entrance. There is no part of the scriptures that say we need to make this entry over and over again save for grievous sin. We then take the sacrament in remembrance of Him and that covenant - this both taught in the Book of Mormon and D&C. What makes the sacrament a significant step is that one should have been baptized first to take it and received a remission of their sins, whereas one should not take the sacrament unworthily. Baptism has often been a matter of making the step without any particular time period as indicated with the Eunuch and Phillip, but with the sacrament one has to prepare for this, in other words, one should have received forgiveness prior to partaking of the sacrament (see text to follow).

Now, if we add in modern revelation we can go on and on about Prophets words, etc. However, I will say this... is it (being baptized again) necessary for salvation or as a symbol? Is repentance still significant? Is the cleansing power of the Spirit which is what gives us a remission of our sins after baptism still in full force? Keep in mind that it is the Spirit that sanctifies (cleans), it is He that renews and I do not think I should have to explain how one obtains sanctification or the Spirit, but it certainly isn't through re-baptism. Lastly, if one is regularly doing work for the dead, the feeling of being rebaptized becomes evident and it is my opinion that in every ordinance we fulfill in someone's behalf we also receive a remission of our sins, so... after being born again, it is in conducting living sacrifices each day that we become whole rather than needing to be re-buried.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Rebaptism

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,