Jack Abramoff

Jack Abramoff - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 30th Mar, 2006 - 10:32am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Are Lobbyist Wicked?
Post Date: 3rd Jan, 2006 - 2:37pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Jack Abramoff

Jack Abramoff

Lobbyist Jack Abramoff, a close associate of former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, to plead guilty to corruption, other charges.
Ref. CNN.com

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 4th Jan, 2006 - 2:14pm / Post ID: #

Jack Abramoff
A Friend

Abramoff Jack

Jack is an argument to ban lobbying permanently. Lobbyist are corrupt, in my opinion, by very nature of what they do. They lobby for their cause, most of the time at any cost. This corrupt practice leads to politicians working for the lobbys and themselves instead of the people. Now that he has plead guilty, he will get a small slap on the wrist, which is a shame. I wish they would throw the book at him, make an example of him for other lobbyists.

Post Date: 7th Jan, 2006 - 4:39am / Post ID: #

Jack Abramoff
A Friend

Jack Abramoff History & Civil Business Politics

I applaud the person who came forward to find Abramoff. However, he should get more then 20 years. Remember though,the senators are lax on him because otherwise the laws helping them will be repealed.

Post Date: 7th Jan, 2006 - 11:46am / Post ID: #

Jack Abramoff
A Friend

Abramoff Jack

One can only hope that laws will be put in place to stop this corruption from continuing, but I have serious doubts. JA pleaded guilty and will most likely get out in just a few years. This is a free pass at it happening again. I'm sure his friends in the senate will make sure he is well taken care of!

Post Date: 29th Mar, 2006 - 6:35pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Abramoff Jack

Breaking News

Judge sentences former lobbyist Jack Abramoff to five years and 10 months in prison in his Florida fraud case, news agencies report.
Ref. CNN.com

29th Mar, 2006 - 11:31pm / Post ID: #

Jack Abramoff

I agree with all the sentiments expressed so far. Lobbyists must be banned. They only deliver corruption, there is no other purpose for them. I watched this great report by a young Australian reporter on the practice last night. It was about Abramoff and the shady practice of lobbying. I urge everyone who is interested in understanding US politics to read the transcript. I have posted a few snippets from the report below.

Dateline report: Mr Abramoff goes to Washington

In downtown Washington, K Street is home to the 11,000 registered lobbyists who work the political system on behalf of their corporate clients. Last year, American companies spent over $10 billion on this legal form of influence peddling.
There are questions about a quid pro quo arrangement between Abramoff and the most powerful Republican member - House Majority Leader Tom DeLay.

He was Abramoff's Congressional contact for a lobbying effort in the northern Mariana Islands in the West Pacific. Despite being US territory, certain American labour laws do not apply here, leading to sweatshops that churn out clothing labelled "made in the USA.' Workers complained of the conditions to US officials.

AL STAYMAN, FORMER HEAD OF GOVERNMENT DEPT: They weren't allowed to join unions. They weren't allowed, essentially, to challenge mistreatment.
As the former head of the government office in charge of the Mariana Islands, Al Stayman drafted a bill to protect worker's rights. But Jack Abramoff was hired by the sweatshop owners to block the bill.

Abramoff flew Tom DeLay and his family to the Mariana's on an all-expense-paid trip. Seen in this picture hugging Abramoff on arrival at the airport, DeLay didn't have time to see the abuse of workers.

When he returned, DeLay described Abramoff as "one of his closest and dearest friends" and the Congressman developed a sudden desire to campaign against the Mariana Worker Protection Bill.

Using his clout in Congress, DeLay ensured the vote on the bill was blocked for eight years.

AL STAYMAN: The House did not ever formally take up that bill, and hasn't to this day.

Details of Abramoff's contributions to Tom DeLay's campaign funds have now emerged, showing that, with enough money, the legislative agenda of the Government can be blocked.

AL STAYMAN: Were it not for the lobbying campaign, the very expensive and aggressive lobbying campaign, that was managed by Mr Abramoff, I think this law probably would have passed.

Tom DeLay has not been charged as part of the current investigation into Abramoff's dealings. But so damaging is this scandal, DeLay was forced to stand down as House Republican Leader in January, because of his close relationship with the lobbyist.

Anyone who wants to grab the attention of US Congress members is forced to play the game. When the Australian Government was negotiating the US Free Trade Agreement, it spent nearly $1.5 million hiring American lobbyists. And when Former Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad had trouble getting an audience with President Bush, in 2002, he hired Jack Abramoff. After paying the lobbyist $1.2 million, Mahathir got his meeting with the President.

Another issue revealed in this report are earmarks. These are secret add-ons to bills, often unrelated. They are added on AFTER political debate and scrutiny. They can be totally un-related projects that secure government funding as part of legislation for something else. This is a devious way for congressmen to secure funding for projects in their constituency.

Republican Congressman Jeff Flake (Arizona) is lobbying to remove this corrupt practice.

Under this administration, earmarks have exploded. For example, in this transportation bill, passed last year, there were over 6,000 earmarks. These unscrutinised projects were all adopted without any hearing or debate. In total - the earmarks in this bill are worth over US$24 billion.
And the things Congress members get away with are incredible. For example, in last year's defence funding bill, the following projects were also sneaked in. $1 million for a snake eradication program in Guam, $1.8 million for a walking trail and $2.5 million for the Alaska Federal Healthcare Network.

I would like to end with a comment by British Guardian columnist Gary Younge, also featured on the report.

GARY YOUNGE: If lobbying is free speech, then a huge number of Americans are mute, because they just can't pay to play, so they have no influence over the system. So, if anything, I think it's the antithesis of free speech because it's not free, it's actually quite expensive.

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
30th Mar, 2006 - 12:27am / Post ID: #

Jack Abramoff

To some extent, lobbying IS free speech. For example, if I support the NRA with my money BECAUSE they are lobbying to stop gun control laws, then if they are not allowed to lobby, my speech is restricted. Likewise if I were to join the NAACP, AARP, or ACLU to work for their goals.

However, the practices that Jack Abramoff was such a master at, certainly DO need to be restricted and closed down. What most people don't realize is that he was working with Democrats just as much as with Republicans. In other words, the Democrats are just as corrupt about lobbyists as the Republicans.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

30th Mar, 2006 - 10:32am / Post ID: #

Jack Abramoff Politics Business Civil & History

To some extent, lobbying IS free speech. For example, if I support the NRA with my money BECAUSE they are lobbying to stop gun control laws, then if they are not allowed to lobby, my speech is restricted. Likewise if I were to join the NAACP, AARP, or ACLU to work for their goals.

But if you have to support the NRA with money, then how is it free? Politics should not be about who can afford to bribe elected representatives. It should be about politicians listening to what people want regardless of the size of their cheque book.

In Australia there are political donations, but they have to be declared to the public. If a politician is campaigning for a cause linked to a political donation, they undergo trial by media, which is detrimental to their career. I'm sure there are cases where politicians over here get away with bribery, it's a pretty hard thing to police or prove.

In the US system, it appears that because lobbying is covert, the practice escapes public scrutiny. Is that a fair assessment?

Perhaps this lobbying system is prevalent across the globe, we all know there are so many corrupt countries where this sort of thing would be accepted practice. South East Asia would be a prime example.

I agree that the problem is bi-partisan. Personally I would find it offensive if my concerns were neglected for others because I wasn't willing to pay a lobbyist money.

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Jack Abramoff

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,