ICon Kingmaker Pathfinder Rules, Setting, Question - Page 18 of 66

I have tried both Warhammer Fantasy Role-playing - Page 18 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 4th Nov, 2015 - 1:18am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

19th September 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Wizard
Wizard
Rogue
Rogue
Cleric
Cleric
Paladin
Paladin
Barbarian
Barbarian
Draconian
Draconian
Warlock
Warlock
Ranger
Ranger
Fighter
Fighter

+  « First of 66 pgs.  14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  ...Latest (66) »
Pathfinder RPG PATHFINDER RPG - This Thread introduces the system, setting and is open to any questions players may have about rules or adventure.
Create / Edit Character Dice Dice Maps RPG Etiquette RPG Etiquette SRD GM Stats
ICon Kingmaker Pathfinder Rules, Setting, Question Related Information to ICon Kingmaker Pathfinder Rules, Setting, Question
  • Kingmaker Adventure Path Pathfinder RPG Review
  • ICon Kingmaker Adventure Path Pathfinder Main Game
  • ICon Kingmaker Pathfinder Rules, Setting, Questions
  • ICon's Kingmaker AP Pathfinder Characters
  • All off topic: ICon Introduction
  • RPG Etiquette Do Not Post Off Topic or Personal Interests Here. Learn the differences between: Off topic, Out of Character and Your Introduction. Unrelated RPG content that is not specific to this game may be removed without notice.

Post Date: 31st Oct, 2015 - 9:52pm / Post ID: #

ICon Kingmaker Pathfinder Rules, Setting, Question
    A Friend

ICon Kingmaker Pathfinder Rules, Setting, Question - Page 18

I will change mine to show 9709 I am not going to make a big deal about 32 experience points. smile.gif

I will be activating a crystal here soon.

Sponsored Links:
    1st Nov, 2015 - 5:24am / Post ID: #
    Zork II
    Fighter Level 6
    Character
    Loner / Middle Front
    Character Sheet Lock
    Retired Retired

Question Setting Rules Pathfinder Kingmaker ICon

The Second says...

In the current action doesn't Zork get a saving throw or was that done prior or did you roll for Zork?

1st Nov, 2015 - 7:24am / Post ID: #
    Hand of Fate
    Click for Party Invent...
    Character
    Game Master ◀
    Base Has a Home Base
    Active Player Active Role-player!

ICon Kingmaker Pathfinder Rules, Setting, Question Archive Pathfinder / D&D

Game Master says...

That was indeed the prior one. Unfortunately 11 was not enough. (Should have been a 12 total, did you forget your bonus from the Bastard trait? I was looking on your sheet for anything else that could help.)

1st Nov, 2015 - 1:37pm / Post ID: #
    Zork II
    Fighter Level 6
    Character
    Loner / Middle Front
    Character Sheet Lock
    Retired Retired

Page 18 Question Setting Rules Pathfinder Kingmaker ICon

The Second says...

Alright no problem. Sometimes I forget these added bonuses even more so when they're not related to direct combat.

Post Date: 1st Nov, 2015 - 9:48pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Question Setting Rules Pathfinder Kingmaker ICon

Quick question - are we playing Pathfinder Society rules? I did not see anything mentioning it before and I did not think it was a thing because of other things already allowed in the game. If it is suddenly a thing though, please let me know.

I disagree that healing should be the a clerical niche, but that is because I am of the school that holds the opinion that a dedicated healer is a wasted space in a party. There are items, summons, and other classes that are capable of healing and I am of the mindset that it is better to be proactive and kill the foe fast instead of being reactive and giving them the opportunity to harm party members further biggrin.gif

I just read that while a small positive energy elemental deals positive energy damage in addition to a slam, large or larger ones can channel positive energy as a cleric. If you would prefer, I will hold off on attempting to have them heal while dealing nonlethal damage with a slam (Yeah... That would be interesting to try and roleplay out). Around the time I can summon a large version I should be able to communicate with them and that will make getting them to do the correct thing a non-issue.

2nd Nov, 2015 - 11:58am / Post ID: #
    Hand of Fate
    Character
    Game Master ◀
    Base Has a Home Base

Game Master says...

No I'm not specifically using PFS rules, I was just using it as a standard against which to check other rules. It is far too restrictive and encourages optimisers or game breakers. (Case in point: me. I'm planning a character with 70 foot base speed and up to 120.) I want to allow for anything the player can imagine.

I kind of agree on healing, but I personally like the grittiness of natural healing and long term injuries. But that's no longer Pathfinder or Dungeons & Dragons.

I hadn't thought of nonlethal. That would work if the elemental knew what to do.

What I dislike about that channel though is it nets you more than a cleric would get. It 's like if the summoner had the cleric's channel, one level lower, but multiplied by the number of channels the elemental can do. And the summoner is entirely Charisma based, where it's secondary for a cleric. Not sure how to balance it, should I limit it to 1/day? Or channelling interferes with conjuration and it whisks them back to the positive energy plane?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
    Post Date: 2nd Nov, 2015 - 9:44pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

ICon Kingmaker Pathfinder Rules Setting Question - Page 18

For a grittier game with natural healing, I recommend looking at Iron Heroes. I have not played it, but I own several of the books. Everything I have read has me wanting to play the system eventually.

I agree on the PFS being too restrictive. I would have played a Paladin if we were using it. I do not have a problem with optimization because everyone optimizes in real life. You want to go in X field - you go get a degree or training in that field. It's realistic. If you want to be a professional video game player or sports player, you play that specific game and train your body accordingly. What I cannot stand are munchkins - people that twist or outright break rules. They are poop.

I won't be able to summon large elementals until level 9. My summon's hit dice will never equal what a cleric would have - and that is how the summon determines the strength of their channeling (They channel as a cleric whose level equals the elemental's hit dice). They will always be less effective than a cleric of our level and they can't channel as often as a cleric can. My Charisma does not contribute to the power of the elemental's channel. For a large elemental, it will always be 4d6 3/day. I'm not able to increase the strength or the amount of times it can be used. The only thing I will be able to do is expend another summon to patch up a teammate, which will be balanced by me having one less summon for the day biggrin.gif

When choosing what to play for your game, I first looked at what everyone else was playing and then determined what the party needed most. The Summoner allowed me to fill in for multiple roles, but never actually outshine anyone, which made me happy because I prefer to play support type roles (My favorite being the Control Wizard - they do not do direct damage often, but make it so their team always wins the fight).

4th Nov, 2015 - 1:18am / Post ID: #
    Hand of Fate
    Character
    Game Master ◀
    Base Has a Home Base

ICon Kingmaker Pathfinder Rules Setting Question D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 18

Game Master says...

I have tried both Warhammer Fantasy Role-playing Game and Basic Role Playing which use critical tables to determine injuries. I liked that an injury could put a character for weeks in game. Never heard of Iron Heroes.

I realise all you mentioned, but it's only 1 level less than a cleric, which isn't much. One less summoning doesn't affect a summoner so much, there are still spells and the eidolon left, in much the same way a cleric still has spells at his disposal.

I would probably conclude saying I agree the summoner is just a more versatile class at its core, but it doesn't trade a loss of ability for it. So it's a good choice for what you wanted.

> TOPIC: ICon Kingmaker Pathfinder Rules, Setting, Question

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
    ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
    Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
    This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
    This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.