ICon Kingmaker Pathfinder Rules, Setting, Question - Page 39 of 66

Yes, it is. I'm sure Icon wasn't - Page 39 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 28th Jan, 2017 - 8:59pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

08th September 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Paladin
Paladin
Rogue
Rogue
Barbarian
Barbarian
Cleric
Cleric
Draconian
Draconian
Fighter
Fighter
Warlock
Warlock
Ranger
Ranger
Wizard
Wizard

+  « First of 66 pgs.  35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  ...Latest (66) »
Pathfinder RPG PATHFINDER RPG - This Thread introduces the system, setting and is open to any questions players may have about rules or adventure.
Create / Edit Character Dice Dice Maps RPG Etiquette RPG Etiquette SRD GM Stats
ICon Kingmaker Pathfinder Rules, Setting, Question Related Information to ICon Kingmaker Pathfinder Rules, Setting, Question
  • Kingmaker Adventure Path Pathfinder RPG Review
  • ICon Kingmaker Adventure Path Pathfinder Main Game
  • ICon Kingmaker Pathfinder Rules, Setting, Questions
  • ICon's Kingmaker AP Pathfinder Characters
  • All off topic: ICon Introduction
  • RPG Etiquette Do Not Post Off Topic or Personal Interests Here. Learn the differences between: Off topic, Out of Character and Your Introduction. Unrelated RPG content that is not specific to this game may be removed without notice.

Post Date: 28th Jan, 2017 - 7:51pm / Post ID: #

ICon Kingmaker Pathfinder Rules, Setting, Question
    A Friend

ICon Kingmaker Pathfinder Rules, Setting, Question - Page 39

I think you're confused on the order of events.

international QUOTE (ICon)
    Caelum also spots what looks to be a bit of rotting flesh among the flotsam. Suddenly it twitches and moves.

Jesla has advanced 20' across the rope (Still above the pier) when something breaks out of the debris, showering wood splinters and water. There stands the rotting body of a man, emaciated and long grey hair matted against his rotting face, parts of it showing the skull underneath and a gaping hole where the nose should be. It takes a step on the water towards you.

international QUOTE (Theaton)
    Seeing the man ghoul jump up Theaton pulls his bow and fires arrows at it. Using all of his feats.

You all ready and Theaton struggles to ready his bow while Jesla climbs back to land.

The creature raises an empty left hand as a dripping ranseur materialises from the water into his right hand. In an eerie, soggy voice he says, “I will speak for myself. You are not my tormentors. Throw the Stag Lord’s body into the river that I may look upon his death, or join me instead.”

Mykael detects a moderate evil aura emanating from him.

Out of Character: Because of Theaton's poor initiative, I had the undead go first. You can keep those rolls and choose to attack if you wish.

international QUOTE (Theaton)
    Out of Character: I will keep my rolls and when it is my turn I will release my arrows as I doubt it will be friendly to us.

Theaton's arrows sail into the undead's chest and head (15 damage) which snaps back with the impact.

He maintains the open hand in front as he says, "I seek only vengeance against the Stag Lord. Cease!"
    In response to Kresnik he says, "I was once Davik. Prove that he is dead. Cast his body into the river."

You can see the arrow in his chest drops out and water coils up his body to fill the hole.

You're all a bunch of murder-hobos in my book biggrin.gif But yeah KN, you definitely tried to attack well before any threat was made. Archival likely won't let that lie. Also, he stated he was bound to his current location - so he couldn't go see. Sounds like a curse put on him to me. The likely reason for his evil aura, in my opinion, is because he's stuck in his current state until someone helps him. Asking our aquatic friends to recover the body will likely be the best manner. Shoot, even if it doesn't release him from undeath, it might still release him from being bound to the place of his death. If that's the case, we'd have yet another valuable scout.

Honestly Kyr, I'm willing to bet it has some sort of DR. Theaton would have likely died due to stubbornness if Jesla hadn't stepped in. I just have to figure out how best to roleplay it now so that the kingdom doesn't suffer. The main reason why Archival worked with Mykael to try and get Zork and Theaton to join the same kingdom was because he knew they would have no chance of successfully creating their own with their limited resources and general lack of diplomacy. Part of me wishes I would have just kept Archival quiet and then had him swoop in and fix everything once their kingdom was revolting. Chances are their settlement wouldn't have fallen though; ICon's too nice of a guy.

Sponsored Links:
    Post Date: 28th Jan, 2017 - 8:04pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Question Setting Rules Pathfinder Kingmaker ICon

Theaton was ready to stop until he started to black mail us and threatened to torment us until we got the body. Normally when something jumps out at you, you tend to react first then think later. That is why the continued attacks instead of stopping.

Post Date: 28th Jan, 2017 - 8:07pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

ICon Kingmaker Pathfinder Rules, Setting, Question Archive Pathfinder / D&D

You tell yourself what you need to in order to justify Theaton's actions to yourself. I find the whole situation comical and will adjust my roleplay accordingly for the scenario.

Post Date: 28th Jan, 2017 - 8:12pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 39 Question Setting Rules Pathfinder Kingmaker ICon

To be fair, when Theaton fired the first shot, we had no reason to suspect Davik had a will of his own. I don't think anyone in the party would object to killing a mindless undead, lack of threat or no.

But yeah, Kresnik isn't of the opinion that Davik presented enough of an immediate threat to go to such extremes. The creature's bound to this location, threats are all he has to work with, and there's no proof it can even carry them out.

Post Date: 28th Jan, 2017 - 8:20pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Question Setting Rules Pathfinder Kingmaker ICon

Theaton fired his first shots when Jesla was in a vulnerable position above the water. It was in defense of her. He has not fault at all for those. If killing evil creatures is a murder- hobo then sign Jesla up. She has a clarity of vision. How do we know he is bound to the location? The characters have no reason to believe him. He did threaten all the characters by the way.

Reconcile Edited: Kyrroeth on 28th Jan, 2017 - 8:22pm

Post Date: 28th Jan, 2017 - 8:41pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

That seems to be the crux of the issue. We don't know.

We all seem to be erring on the side of caution, some are just seeing a threat, while others are seeing a potential victim.

Regardless of the truth, sorting this mess out later is going to be… interesting.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 28th Jan, 2017 - 8:42pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
    28th Jan, 2017 - 8:59pm / Post ID: #
    Mykael Brewmor
    Fighter3 Paladin3
    Character
    Novice / Right Fwd. Flank
    Character Sheet Lock
    Active Player Active Role-player!

ICon Kingmaker Pathfinder Rules Setting Question - Page 39

Ignoble says...

I don't think the murder hobo concept can really be applied to the party by any stretch of the imagination. We don't go around killing everything and everyone we come across. Archival may see the undead creature as a sentient being, perhaps cursed to be undead through no fault of his own and thus wants to interact with him that way but Mykael does not see it that way as he explained; we are dealing with undead, it is irrelevant why the creature exudes evil the fact remains that it does. Mykael, Jesla, and Theaton do not recognize this creature as a living being, as Jesla said you can't murder something that is not alive. If we were dealing with a demon or devil, Mykael would likewise want to destroy it, yes the demon or devil has free will but it is a threat to all that is good by its very nature. Mykael applies the same concept to the undead regardless of whether they have sentience or free will, their very nature and existence threaten the realm.

In real life we have no means, other than observing behavior, to determine whether someone or something is good or evil by our definitions but Pathfinder, Dungeons & Dragons, etc. Is different in that there are spells and abilities that grant that knowledge. So again, as far as Mykael is concerned this this is evil, no doubt in his mind, its very nature is evil. A murder hobo doesn't care if the person or entity they are interacting with is good, evil or indifferent, they will kill them simply because they get in the way or they possess something that the murder hobo wants and its just easier to kill them. Mykael's desire to destroy this creature is not based only on the fact that it is in the way, but again, because he knows that the creature is evil and undead and by its very nature is a threat to the party and to realm. That's how he sees it.

Obviously Archival does not see it the same way, but that doesn't automatically make Archival right nor does it make Mykael right. Mykael is staying his hand because he also believes in the rule of authority and as he explained, if the leaders of the realm cannot obey those in positions of authority when they disagree with them, how can they expect their subjects to do the same. Everything becomes relative to each individuals view and when that happens one can justify any behavior and the rule of law falls apart.

Archival does have one point that Mykael would probably agree with in that once it was recognized that the threat was not immediate, the party could have backed off and approached the situation from another angle. Doesn't mean that he would not have advocated destroying the creature nor would he have advocated doing the creatures bidding, but there was not a need to attack right at that moment. On the other hand the situation is such, regardless of why, that his comrades are in imminent danger and he has a hard time sitting by and watching the fight; the good part of his alignment is somewhat at odds with the lawful part at the moment as they are telling him conflicting things I think.

The good says protect your friends and comrades from this undead evil creature while the lawful says he's basically been ordered to stand down by someone that he has recognized as being in a position of authority over him.

Post Date: 28th Jan, 2017 - 8:59pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

ICon Kingmaker Pathfinder Rules Setting Question D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 39

Yes, it is. I'm sure Icon wasn't preparing to have some characters jailed and put on trial *smile*. Jesla can't comprehend Archival's viewpoint at all. She thinks he might be insane now.

Reconcile Edited: Kyrroeth on 28th Jan, 2017 - 9:00pm

> TOPIC: ICon Kingmaker Pathfinder Rules, Setting, Question

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
    ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
    Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
    This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
    This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.