Schadenfreude

Schadenfreude - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 4th May, 2006 - 10:04pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Pleasure from misfortune
Post Date: 20th Jan, 2006 - 1:14am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Schadenfreude

Schadenfreude

Germans have a word for it -- schadenfreude -- and when it comes to getting pleasure from someone else's misfortune, men seem to enjoy it more than women. Such is the conclusion reached by scientists at University College London in what they say is the first neuroscientific evidence of schadenfreude. Using brain-imaging techniques, they compared how men and women reacted when watching other people suffer pain.
Ref. https://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060119/od_nm/...nce_revenge1_dc

Sponsored Links:
18th Mar, 2006 - 3:28am / Post ID: #

Schadenfreude

I could not access the link because it expired already but I thought it was interesting that men seem to enjoy misfortune more than women. I am not sure what exactly entitles this test but based on my experience, I would say women enjoy more misfortune than men. Women generally are very jealous and envious of other women's success hence some of them are very happy when they see another women putting on weight or knowing the handsome boyfriend left them for another woman. I have seen this many times.

4th May, 2006 - 9:55pm / Post ID: #

Schadenfreude Health & Special Psychology

I doubt the results of this test. I think that women are more emotional creatures, so maybe they would emphasize more with someone in pain. In my opinion, that doesn't mean that men enjoy watching someone in pain. It only means that they don't react as emotionally as a woman would.

4th May, 2006 - 10:04pm / Post ID: #

Schadenfreude

My humble opinion is that women are more emotional and empathetic than men are. I think this has to do with their nurturing capabilities as mothers. This can be seen even very early where girls play with dolls and dress them up, have tea parties, etc. Boys are constantly in attack mode, and enjoy fighting and aggression. Well this aggression cannot be enacted once they are adults, so they channel it through the misfortune and downfall of others. Men are also very competitive, and someone's misfortune seems to equate with their gain, or self worth. Therefore, I would tend to agree with the study's results.

> TOPIC: Schadenfreude

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,