Andrew Lewis

Andrew Lewis - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 13th Jul, 2013 - 12:09am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Discuss  Andrew Lewis Trinidad Sailor - Dyslexic
12th Jul, 2013 - 11:42pm / Post ID: #

Andrew Lewis

Andrew Lewis

Andrew Lewis revealed in an interview on TV6 that while growing up he had a very difficult time at school because he was diagnosed with dyslexia and he claimed to have a 'little ADD". Andrew Lewis has been able to sail in the Olympics and make a name for himself world-wide.

Image from public domain: Facebook

Andrew Lewis
Andrew Lewis (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
13th Jul, 2013 - 12:09am / Post ID: #

Lewis Andrew

Andrew is a great example of determination, he spoke at a fund-raiser held in aid of the Dyslexia Association of T&T and the Special Child Foundation and according to the Guardian Newspaper he had to fight tears when sharing his story.

international QUOTE
It's a battle he's faced for the past 14 years. Lewis, 23, was diagnosed at age nine. Back then he was a Standard Four student at Dunross Preparatory School where his struggles with reading and writing were revealed. The teacher in charge was prepared to recommend that he remain in that class for a second consecutive year when his parent realised something was not right. "My mom and dad immediately realised that something wasn't right, so they took me to get assessed.

The assessment was done by Ms Hamel-Smith and as it turns out, I was diagnosed with dyslexia and ADD. Instead of spending my entire childhood in primary four, my parents moved me to Eshe's Learning Centre to get the guidance I needed. It was here I first started to get the care and extra attention I need to cope with dyslexia and start feeling like I was normal," Lewis told a seemingly surprised gathering.

Upon graduating from Eshe's, Lewis went on to The International School of Port-of-Spain, in Westmoorings, where provisions were made to continue strengthening his learning capabilities.

"The truth is academically I was considered weak, but when I spoke, the teachers found that I was intelligent and saw a drive and determination in me to succeed, so they allowed me to attend school. I went to so many extra lessons, to practicing my reading and writing, all geared towards getting me to a comfortable level. It was tough. "At this same time in my life, my sailing career began to take off, so my mind would wander a lot on being on the water. I was always excited about the water."

Even though he was getting the help he needed, it became a lot more difficult to hide his dyslexia as he entered puberty. He remembers a friend's request to sign his (Andrew) name on his door. Lewis substituted the letter "d" in his first name for "b." This, however, is one of the many incidents on which he can reflect and laugh. Despite his challenges and his ongoing efforts to disguise the truth, Lewis made it clear that nothing kept him back from dreaming. "I daydream, but when I do, I dream of success.

I am easily distracted, but it reminds me to focus harder and more on life. I am aware of everything around me; this allows me to see things that most don't. "I am able to do multiple things at the same time; this allows me to multi-task really well. I have poor penmanship and spelling, so (I) use the laptop to write. I have difficulty remembering names, but I find something that helps me remember you.

He is proud of being able to make quick decisions even though he has not found a way to manage his curiosity. While getting a handle on his spatial orientation obstacles, his reading remains at a slow pace. None of these occurrences got in the way of Lewis getting his high school diploma, becoming certified in sports studies neither his coaching certificates. Source 4

> TOPIC: Andrew Lewis

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,